C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone converted their rear window to the older removeable style??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2001, 07:42 PM
rob75383
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has anyone converted their rear window to the older removeable style??

I know that just about anything can be accomplished with enough gumption and $$.
My old man is a retired glass man, so he's got all sorts of stuff that we can use to make a home-made removeable rear window.

My question is, has anyone already done this using the older chrome bumper vette's windows??
I'd like to stick with vette parts if I could, to make it seem as if it came from the factory like this, but I'm sure that my father could help me create something that'll look just as good, plus, it'd be cheaper.

[Modified by '75 383 ElkGrove, 5:43 PM 11/10/2001]
Old 11-10-2001, 07:49 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone converted their rear window to the older removeable style?? ('75 383 ElkGrove)

I have done it and love it. Have not put the rear window back in except to wash the car.

You need the window with frame and the gasket. Plus the following:

Hope this helps.

Terry
Old 11-10-2001, 08:24 PM
rob75383
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone converted their rear window to the older removeable style?? (trw)

Thanks Terry!!

I forgot to ask...
What about the storage rack/ hangers for the window when its not in use?
I don't think my rear deck has any provisions for this install, but, I guess I could just get a bunch of foam padding and wrap it and stick it in the cargo area when not in use.
Old 11-10-2001, 09:04 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone converted their rear window to the older removeable style?? ('75 383 ElkGrove)

I have the shelf, but have never installed it.

the window, when out will sit on the carpeted rear wheels really well. It does not slide or scratch anything.

Everything else for the car (screw holes) are in your car, GM never changed the body work.

Terry
Old 11-10-2001, 11:34 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Has anyone converted their rear window to the older removeable style?? (trw)

I'm doing the window also. It will probably never be used----I like it too much out. The trays and hinges are difficult if not impossible to find from a vendor.

I got the window on E-bay.
Old 11-11-2001, 11:32 AM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Has anyone converted their rear window to the older removeable style?? (1970 Stingray)

Does anyone have a picture of a stock rear window tray? I found the thing that says "Rear Window Storage" or something like that....but my tray has never been in there. I don't even know what one looks like :confused: .

AC
Old 11-14-2001, 04:32 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone converted their rear window to the older removeable style?? (A C)

AC
I picked up this one out of a '68.

The "rear window storage"piece is on the front of a '69 tray.

Does anyone have a picture of a stock rear window tray? I found the thing that says "Rear Window Storage" or something like that....but my tray has never been in there. I don't even know what one looks like :confused: .

AC

[Modified by 69er, 2:37 PM 11/14/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone converted their rear window to the older removeable style??

Quick Reply: Has anyone converted their rear window to the older removeable style??