C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic jacks, long reach, low profile: Omega 29023 and AC DK13HLQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 01:36 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Hydraulic jacks, long reach, low profile: Omega 29023 and AC DK13HLQ

Below are comparison pics and info regarding the:

- Omega 29023 "Magic Lift" 2-ton (black)
- AC DK13HLQ 1.4 ton (blue)

AC Hydraulic A/S:
http://www.ac-hydraulic.com/

AC DK13HLQ:
http://www.ac-hydraulic.com/Default....wproduct&id=44

Omega / Shinn Fu American - SFA Companies
http://www.shinnfuamerica.com

Omega 29023:
http://www.shinnfuamerica.com/(S(cov...on.aspx?ID=763

Omega 29023 owner's manual pdf:
http://www.shinnfuamerica.com/(S(rjm.../Temp/1154.pdf

Notes:

The pad hole of the AC DK13HLQ is 1.010", and the pad hole of the Omega 29023 is 1.030"... so close but yet so far. The hole of the AC is only about 0.020" smaller than that of the Omega, yet the pad that comes with the Omega will not fit the AC.

The pad hole size of these jacks is important to note since many common accessory pads and accessory cross beam adapters (including the popular Northern Tool cross beam adapter that works great on our C6s) will have pins that are closer to 1.150" in diameter, and will need to be shaved down to 1.00" or so in order to fit the AC and Omega jacks. Get your die grinder and carbide grinding tip ready.

Due to the design of the Omega, a cross beam adapter can be placed on the jack when fully lowered and not hit the front wheels. Total max height with Northern Tool cross beam adapter in place, about 4.75". With the AC jack, the cross beam adapter will rub on the front wheels when fully lowered, you need to raise the jack a bit to get the cross beam to clear the front wheels... at this point max height with cross beam in place, about 5.5".

For info regarding jacking a C6 using long reach jacks, preferred jacking locations of C6, etc:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...55&forum_id=74

The main reason to get a low-profile, long-reach jack for the C6 is to be able to reach the front preferred jacking points (see link directly above for details and pics). If the front of the car is initially raised high enough by driving the front wheels up on boards, you can probably get away with using just about ANY jack. However, if you want to reach the correct preferred jacking points with very little initial "pre-raising" of the front, a low-profile, long reach jack is what you need.

The Omega is so low that you can roll it under the front of a C6 without driving the front wheels up on boards at all, without the cross beam adapter in place... the cross beam can be put on the jack after the jack is in position, just reach over from the side of the car... just barely makes it though, you need to bend your air dam a bit to really get things lined up perfectly... or just drive the front wheels up on a few strips of plywood and it'll be a breeze.

In sum, both the AC and Omega seem to be excellent jacks for Corvette use. The AC is twice the price+ of the Omega, but is indeed of much finer quality. For seldom to occasional use, the Omega seems to be fine. For more frequent heavy-duty use, you might want to spring for the AC.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:37 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Here are some nice jack stands to go with your nice jack(s):

Old 06-07-2008, 11:42 PM
ILM-Express
MFIC
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I found my next jack
Old 06-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Ucraz-E
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the good info Vet
Old 06-08-2008, 08:24 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

GREAT Write up Vet!

Thanks again for taking the time and effort to post all of this great info for us!

Originally Posted by Vet

Below are comparison pics and info regarding the:

- Omega 29023 "Magic Lift" 2-ton (black)
- AC DK13HLQ 1.4 ton (blue)

AC Hydraulic A/S:
http://www.ac-hydraulic.com/

AC DK13HLQ:
http://www.ac-hydraulic.com/Default....wproduct&id=44

Omega / Shinn Fu American - SFA Companies
http://www.shinnfuamerica.com

Omega 29023:
http://www.shinnfuamerica.com/(S(cov...on.aspx?ID=763

Omega 29023 owner's manual pdf:
http://www.shinnfuamerica.com/(S(rjm.../Temp/1154.pdf

Notes:

The pad hole of the AC DK13HLQ is 1.010", and the pad hole of the Omega 29023 is 1.030"... so close but yet so far. The hole of the AC is only about 0.020" smaller than that of the Omega, yet the pad that comes with the Omega will not fit the AC.

The pad hole size of these jacks is important to note since many common accessory pads and accessory cross beam adapters (including the popular Northern Tool cross beam adapter that works great on our C6s) will have pins that are closer to 1.150" in diameter, and will need to be shaved down to 1.00" or so in order to fit the AC and Omega jacks. Get your die grinder and carbide grinding tip ready.

Due to the design of the Omega, a cross beam adapter can be placed on the jack when fully lowered and not hit the front wheels. Total max height with Northern Tool cross beam adapter in place, about 4.75". With the AC jack, the cross beam adapter will rub on the front wheels when fully lowered, you need to raise the jack a bit to get the cross beam to clear the front wheels... at this point max height with cross beam in place, about 5.5".

For info regarding jacking a C6 using long reach jacks, preferred jacking locations of C6, etc:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...55&forum_id=74

The main reason to get a low-profile, long-reach jack for the C6 is to be able to reach the front preferred jacking points (see link directly above for details and pics). If the front of the car is initially raised high enough by driving the front wheels up on boards, you can probably get away with using just about ANY jack. However, if you want to reach the correct preferred jacking points with very little initial "pre-raising" of the front, a low-profile, long reach jack is what you need.

The Omega is so low that you can roll it under the front of a C6 without driving the front wheels up on boards at all, without the cross beam adapter in place... the cross beam can be put on the jack after the jack is in position, just reach over from the side of the car... just barely makes it though, you need to bend your air dam a bit to really get things lined up perfectly... or just drive the front wheels up on a few strips of plywood and it'll be a breeze.

In sum, both the AC and Omega seem to be excellent jacks for Corvette use. The AC is twice the price+ of the Omega, but is indeed of much finer quality. For seldom to occasional use, the Omega seems to be fine. For more frequent heavy-duty use, you might want to spring for the AC.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:01 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Vet,

Nice jack stands!

Nice pucks too! Where can I buy the pucks please?

Originally Posted by Vet

Here are some nice jack stands to go with your nice jack(s):

Old 06-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HorsePowerJunkie
Vet,
Nice pucks too! Where can I buy the pucks please?
Thanks

The pucks are pretty common to my knowledge... shouldn't be hard to find... I picked them up from one of the forum vendors a ways back... might have been PFYC or Corvette Garage, etc... just check out the various forum vedors, you'll find the pucks.

EDIT: here they are from PFYC:

http://www.pfyc.com/pc/VT7001/VTOTHE...ing+Pucks.html

Last edited by Vet; 06-11-2008 at 03:04 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to let everyone know the Omega 29023 is definitely the same jack as the lesser cost "ATD-7325" branded jack. The only difference is the color they are painted, Omega is black and my ATD-7325 arrived painted red. I compared the parts manuals and both are the same as best as I can tell. The big difference and the reason for my post is that Amazon sells the ATD-7325 for $221.00 with FREE GROUND UPS SHIPPING! The Omega is about $260 plus shipping on the 125lb box. I can't explain the cost difference but these two jacks are the same product.

Two comments...this is one heavy jack at 120+ pounds and it seems to take a lot of umph on the handle to raise the car....much more than any of the other jacks I own.

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Desig...1528938&sr=8-1
Old 09-15-2008, 09:47 PM
microday
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ShinnFu North America makes both jacks. Omega is their brand and they private label the ATD brand.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:48 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
I know this is an old thread but just wanted to let everyone know the Omega 29023 is definitely the same jack as the lesser cost "ATD-7325" branded jack. The only difference is the color they are painted, Omega is black and my ATD-7325 arrived painted red. I compared the parts manuals and both are the same as best as I can tell. The big difference and the reason for my post is that Amazon sells the ATD-7325 for $221.00 with FREE GROUND UPS SHIPPING! The Omega is about $260 plus shipping on the 125lb box. I can't explain the cost difference but these two jacks are the same product.

Two comments...this is one heavy jack at 120+ pounds and it seems to take a lot of umph on the handle to raise the car....much more than any of the other jacks I own.

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Desig...1528938&sr=8-1

I have the Omega. Works great on (well, under) the vette. You are correct; does take some excessive effort to raise a 3200 lb car. I even "bled" the jack, but no difference.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:20 PM
hogan35
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just purchase the Omega 29023 from The Tool Warehouse.net for $235.75 plus $16.95 shipping. The jack is on SALE.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:15 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ILM-Express
I think I found my next jack
Old 09-16-2008, 02:24 AM
kev1n
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my ATD from amazon should be here tomorrow. I'm hoping I get the blue one as was pictured.

Does it really take more effort then a standard floor jack ? cant imagine as the floor jack of mine is quite a PITA.

Last edited by kev1n; 09-16-2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Regarding the Omega / Shinn Fu jack taking extra effort to raise...

When I first received mine, I found that it was bone dry in terms of lubrication. All hinge points etc, zero lubrication.

Before I even attempted to use the jack, I fully lubed all hinge points, wheels etc with oil and/or grease, thoroughly. Then operated the jack several times before trying to lift anything to make sure all the lube got to where it needed to go.

Once I started using the jack, I did not find it took extra effort to use. It is possible that those who feel it takes extra effort just need to lube it up well.

Tip: the jack is shipped with a plug over the hydraulic vent (refer to manual). Lube the jack hinge points BEFORE removing this plug... this way you can turn the jack on it's side and/or upside down to lube the underside hinge points without having hydraulic fluid leak out. Once you remove the plug on the hydraulic vent (as required), fluid WILL leak out of the jack is turned on it's side or upside down.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the tip. I'll pull out the wheel bearing grease and oil can and lube it up and see if that helps..I'm skeptical though. I think the heavy resistance has more to do with the not-so-great engineering of the valving in the jack.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kev1n
my ATD from amazon should be here tomorrow. I'm hoping I get the blue one as was pictured.

Does it really take more effort then a standard floor jack ? cant imagine as the floor jack of mine is quite a PITA.
I'm 210lbs and I think it takes a lot more effort than other jacks I've used/have. Not bad...just quite a bit more than what I would prefer. I definitely have to put both arms in it to raise the front of the car. Other jacks I've been able to lay on the floor and watch the jack pad while operating the jack with one hand.

Another annoyance is the handle doesn't stay stowed in the upright position on it's own. There is a gap between the arm mechanism and the piston and the long jack handle wants to rest at about a 45 degree angle unless you either pin it up somehow or use a bungie. I see this as a very easy way to end up with a dent in either a car or on the head! I'm going to drill the chassis and put a cotter pin in it for storage.

Last edited by Motorhead-47; 09-16-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:03 AM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vet
Regarding the Omega / Shinn Fu jack taking extra effort to raise...

When I first received mine, I found that it was bone dry in terms of lubrication. All hinge points etc, zero lubrication.

Before I even attempted to use the jack, I fully lubed all hinge points, wheels etc with oil and/or grease, thoroughly. Then operated the jack several times before trying to lift anything to make sure all the lube got to where it needed to go.

Once I started using the jack, I did not find it took extra effort to use. It is possible that those who feel it takes extra effort just need to lube it up well.

Tip: the jack is shipped with a plug over the hydraulic vent (refer to manual). Lube the jack hinge points BEFORE removing this plug... this way you can turn the jack on it's side and/or upside down to lube the underside hinge points without having hydraulic fluid leak out. Once you remove the plug on the hydraulic vent (as required), fluid WILL leak out of the jack is turned on it's side or upside down.

Great advice.

Shinn Fu manufactures this jack and sells it under the Omega brand (they also sell this jack to other companies who resell it using their own name as mentioned).

Also, carefully check the end of the pump plunger (primarily, the chrome plated sheet metal cap that goes around the plunger return spring and the retaining e-clip). Sometimes the e-clip is not installed completely or shifts and the sheet metal cap can be deformed by the handle roller. The jack will be more difficult to pump if this part is damaged.

The spring retainer is a poor design and a weak point for the Omega jack. Unfortunately, the chrome plated cap is not available separately (at least when I called Shinn Fu) and the entire hydraulic unit has to be replaced if this part is damaged. I am machining a new end cap for mine.

EDIT: As most people know, the AC DK13HLQ is no longer available in the US and if available would cost about $800. The long reach Ranger Model RFJ2TX is a copy of the AC DK20HLQ and is higher quality and stronger than the Omega (about $340). The RFJ2TX is not as low as the DK13HLQ, but it will easily fit under the rear of the C6 with a Northern cross beam adapter. You need to drive the car on a 2X12 or short ramp to reach the front preferred jacking points.

Last edited by WHT; 09-16-2008 at 10:00 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hydraulic jacks, long reach, low profile: Omega 29023 and AC DK13HLQ

Old 09-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
I'm 210lbs and I think it takes a lot more effort than other jacks I've used/have. Not bad...
The Omega very well may have a bit more resistance than a lot of other common jacks. I will note that it did not have more resistance than the AC jack. Im thinking that long-reach jacks by nature may simply have a bit more resistance than jacks with less reach... its a leverage issue. Cant get something for nothing.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:22 AM
MontereyRedC6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

My Larin 2.5 crapped out with my car in the air on stands. So, I ordered the ATD from Amazon before this thread came alive again. It has not been delivered yet. I can live with the higher effort.

How hard is the handle to remove for storage of this monster?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MontereyRedC6
How hard is the handle to remove for storage of this monster?
A total no-brainer...one wrench and 30 seconds or less

Quick Reply: Hydraulic jacks, long reach, low profile: Omega 29023 and AC DK13HLQ