C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just had a Car Stolen - Colorado Guys Keep your Eyes Open....

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 10:05 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Default Just had a Car Stolen - Colorado Guys Keep your Eyes Open....

We just had a car stolen from our restoration facility in Broomfield, Colorado. Since this Forum reaches a lot of people (yes, we have computers and Internet even here in Colorado..), perhaps you Colorado guys can keep your eyes open:

1970 Chevelle. Nearly complete. Show-quality black body/paint. 350 auto. No interior. It runs (they cut through our security fence, stole a battery out of another car, hot-wired the Chevelle, and drove it through a field and onto a car carrier). We have somebody in mind with the theft, and suspect the car may have been transported over to the western slope.

If you see or hear of anything like this, contact Broomfield Police Department or e-mail me at:
V8FastCars@msn.com

or call SVE Restoration at 303-466-6717 ask for Butch.

Thanks, guys!

[Modified by lars, 8:09 PM 11/9/2001]
Old 11-09-2001, 10:13 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Re: Just had a Car Stolen - Colorado Guys Keep your Eyes Open.... (lars)

You'll get 'em. That's going to be a tough one to hide even if they repaint it. They'll need parts and goodies to make it complete. Keeping an eye out in California for you anyways.
Old 11-09-2001, 10:29 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Just had a Car Stolen - Colorado Guys Keep your Eyes Open.... (KENS78SILVERANNIV)

They even snipped the wires to the video cameras monitoring the fenced area, and avoided the field of vision of the adjoining businesses' cameras. Somebody had a pretty good idea what they were doing and what they were stealing. Watch for a black '70 Chevelle in a paint shop, resto facility, or a barn...
Old 11-09-2001, 10:56 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Default Re: Just had a Car Stolen - Colorado Guys Keep your Eyes Open.... (lars)

Sorry to hear that Lars, I hope they catch who ever they are and hang 'em! I think car theifs rank right up there with the cave dwellers we're bombing.:mad
Gary
Old 11-09-2001, 11:05 PM
My69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear this. I hope they catch the SOB
Mike
Old 11-09-2001, 11:10 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

That's a real shame Lars. If they are in Texas, you can count on us to keep a look out for it. It should be a pretty easy car to recognize. The car will come up!
Old 11-09-2001, 11:56 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Default Re: Just had a Car Stolen - Colorado Guys Keep your Eyes Open.... (theanswriz42)

That sucks to put it simply. Definetely sounds like a professional job. That Chevelle may be on its way out of the country.

Old 11-10-2001, 12:11 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lars, that's absolutely AWFUL!!!! I do hope it turns up soon and intact! Please keep us posted. I hope the catch the thieves and use them for target practice in the desert! :troll :lol:
Old 11-10-2001, 12:13 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Default Re: Just had a Car Stolen - Colorado Guys Keep your Eyes Open.... (Juliet)

I hope the catch the thieves and use them for target practice in the desert! :troll :lol:
Well if that car ends up in Texas, that just might happen :lol:

Old 11-10-2001, 01:40 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Just had a Car Stolen - Colorado Guys Keep your Eyes Open.... (theanswriz42)

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys..! It wouldn't be as bad if it were my own car, but when it's somebody else's it really bites. When I figure out who dun it, I'd like to throw the guy a blanket party... sounds like I should invite our Texas members to the event.... :yesnod:
Old 11-10-2001, 01:43 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Lars, In texas it's legal to shoot someone who's stealing something from you. It happens all that time...hell it would just be one less car theif on the planet...but at least a blanket party would hurt more :)
Old 11-10-2001, 01:57 AM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

that sucks!! :mad
Old 11-10-2001, 04:03 AM
2nspire
Racer

Default Re: Just had a Car Stolen - Colorado Guys Keep your Eyes Open.... (Chris Fowler '80)

Afganistan is too good for them thieves unless acourse the 'bomb' is about to be dropped. I hate @#$%^& thieves. :mad :mad :mad
Old 11-10-2001, 07:37 AM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Just had a Car Stolen - Colorado Guys Keep your Eyes Open....

I'll be watching for it down here in New Mexico on the highways and byways... while driving to Phoenix today !
Old 11-10-2001, 09:24 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Just had a Car Stolen - Colorado Guys Keep your Eyes Open.... (The Wanderer)

guys... also look for a chevelle in red that is as lars described, also in primer... one that doesnt look like it should be, you know the cars that look like they are on the way to the paint shop.

Its likely that they will do a color change

Sorry to hear about the car being stolen... if any of us see it the driver might just catch lead in the head when the hit 4th gear...

ZD
Old 11-10-2001, 02:34 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

ttt
Old 11-10-2001, 02:39 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Just had a Car Stolen - Colorado Guys Keep your Eyes Open.... (ZD75blue)

Actually, what they tend to do with cars like this is convert the straight Chevelles and Malibus into SS's. This car had all the body work and paint just completed on it - brand new show quality stuff. But the car was a straight Chevelle, yet it was very specifically targeted out of all the nice cars at the shop (there were several Vettes there that could just as easily have been taken). It was as if somebody was waiting for it. I'm guessing that somebody has a BB SS in rough condition, and that this Black Chevelle will receive an engine transplant, SS emblems, and a VIN# tag swap. A swap-over like this is a weekend job. So watch for a black 454-powered SS.... It's a column-shift car, but even if they put a console shifter in it, the steering column will probably still have the column shift sleeve and boss on it. Also, the dash on the column shift cars has the little shift indicator window in it.

I got my blanket and my baseball bat in the back of my Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Just had a Car Stolen - Colorado Guys Keep your Eyes Open....

Old 11-10-2001, 02:48 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

I really hope you find that car lars. Did the police department say anything about it?
Old 11-10-2001, 05:20 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

They have a detective working the case, and they do have a suspect in mind. It's all circumstantial and hearsay at this point, though. And this doesn't mean they'll find the car.... The detective did indicate that in car theft cases, unlike murder cases, you don't have to recover the "body" in order to get a conviction. But I need the car back.
Old 11-10-2001, 05:42 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

A few years back in the small central Texas town that I grew up in they found a stolen '55 Chevy (restored to mint condition) that had been in a rented mini-storage building stall for over three years. The thieves were from out of state and had put the car there to let it "cool off" for a while.

They were BUSTED!

This is just another possibility for you to keep in mind.

Just letting you know that I will be keeping my eyes and ears open in my area.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Just had a Car Stolen - Colorado Guys Keep your Eyes Open....