C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Gage Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 05:37 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fuel Gage Problem?

After fueling up this afternoon, and starting the car, my fuel gage needle just flopped over on the full side. WTF?? :mad I only put in a few gallons to get me back to work. This is the original gage that has always worked perfectly. Seems like the thing got disconnected some how. I'll start at the gage and work my way back. Could be a connection, or sending unit. Please don't tell me it's the float in the tank.. please! Any suggestions or guidance will be appreciated. :cheers: :seeya :seeya :seeya
Old 11-09-2001, 06:58 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Gage Problem? (Silvr77)

......Sounds like your float assembly broke off and sunk to the bottom of the tank. Tough luck 'ol boy...... '74 Turbocharged 350, "Molested to Perfection" class (or no class) of '71

[Modified by Shutdown1, 11:00 PM 11/9/2001]
Old 11-09-2001, 07:45 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Hey Silver,

Why don't you drain (or run) the gas tank dry and see what your gauge does? If it ain't your float it's probably a wire grounding out somewhere (you're already looking for that). Regards
Old 11-09-2001, 08:06 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Fuel Gage Problem? (Shutdown1)

If the gauge is pegged above full, that's an indication of an open circuit between the gauge and the sending unit, not a short. Check the wiring at the sending unit to see if there is good contact. Measure the resistance of the sender, it should vary between sero and 100 ohms as it goes from empty to full. If all this checks out OK, its either the gauge itself or the wiring between the gauge and sending unit.

Shannon

[Modified by sb69coupe, 7:06 PM 11/9/2001]
Old 11-09-2001, 08:47 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Fuel Gage Problem? (sb69coupe)

Thanks guys... I'm on it. I think this car is haunted cause the needle came to life on the way home. Open circuit is my guess.. I'll find it.. and expell the demon within :mad Thanks again :cheers: :seeya :seeya
Old 11-09-2001, 10:27 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

sound to me like the wire broke off the top of the sending unit.....

the tops of the sending units are usually very very very rusty/////

you can look at the top connection by using a dental mirror or other suitable mirror to inspect it from the top filler door (no need to drop the tank yet.....)

if its disconnected on top or thoroughly rusted, its tank drop time!! oh yah!!

been there. done that.

:yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 11-11-2001, 08:04 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Default Re: Fuel Gage Problem? (daily_driver)

Hi-oh Silver77,

Find the problem with that gauge? Just wondering; it sounds like the next thing that'l go wrong on my car. If you don't answer in three days, I will just assume you are still under the car trying to pull the gas tank...... ! '74 Turbocharged 350 "Molested to Perfection" , class of '71

[Modified by Shutdown1, 12:36 AM 11/12/2001]
Old 11-12-2001, 01:02 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Fuel Gage Problem? (Shutdown1)

Beach Boys tune.. Hey little cobra don't you know your gonna shut-em-down1 :lol: OK..corny I know. I crawled under there and inspected the sending unit and couldn't find anything visably wrong. As I mentioned in a previous post, the gage came to life a while later and has been working properly all weekend. Sorry I couldn't help you with an answer, but I'll have to delay that project till winter when the Shark goes up on stands for other work. Good luck in your search..... :cheers: :seeya :seeya :seeya
Old 11-12-2001, 03:23 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Mine sticks at about 3/4 of a tank sometimes...

I'm also convinced that my needle is off slightly. It registers about a 1/4 tank past the full line when I fill up. If I take it down to the 3/4 line it's about half a tank of gas.

I also run out of gas about 1/2 way into the red empty line (before it reaches empty). Learned that one the hard way.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Gage Problem?

Quick Reply: Fuel Gage Problem?