C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

"Typing" existing brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default "Typing" existing brake fluid

Hi

How do I tell what type brake fluid is in my car. I have been told it can be told by taste but that tells me little

Also what fluids would be compatible. I don't know what is in there and I need to bleed the system.

Thanks in advance

Doug
Old 09-09-2007, 07:47 PM
willowdog
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there, done that. First off, silicone (DOT5) is not always colored. The way I did it was to take some of the old fluid out of the system and mix it with DOT5 (preferably newer, colored stuff and, no, DOT4 is different). If it mixes uniformly it's DOT5. As a second test you can mix the old stuff with a litter water. DOT3 will absorb water while DOT5 will not.

I used baby food jars for the mixing. Buy one or two small jars, eat or dump what is in them and wash them out.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:48 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Take a sample (about 2 oz.) from the master cylinder reservoir and put it in a small glass container (like a jelly jar); add an equal amount of water, cap it, shake it well, and set it on the bench. When it settles down, if it has formed two distinct layers, it's DOT5 silicone fluid. If it hasn't formed layers and appears as a single fluid, it's DOT3/4 conventional fluid.

DOT5 silicone fluid is ONLY compatible with itself, and the same is true of DOT3/4 fluid; they will NOT mix.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks very much

That is a perfect example of what makes this forum so good...... the members and all the help that they give.

Doug
Old 09-09-2007, 11:02 PM
al329
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taste ?!?!?

Did bubba tell you that? I would not consume ANY amount of break fluid! Had a few numnuts in the Army drink break fluid to get high....renal failure followed shortly after.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:40 PM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Default change dot3 to 5 in a 60.

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Take a sample (about 2 oz.) from the master cylinder reservoir and put it in a small glass container (like a jelly jar); add an equal amount of water, cap it, shake it well, and set it on the bench. When it settles down, if it has formed two distinct layers, it's DOT5 silicone fluid. If it hasn't formed layers and appears as a single fluid, it's DOT3/4 conventional fluid.

DOT5 silicone fluid is ONLY compatible with itself, and the same is true of DOT3/4 fluid; they will NOT mix.
So, could I empty out the MC that has dot 3 and enter dot5 and just run it thrugh the lines. I am guessing that the old dot3 would be replaced with d5.

Last edited by stratplus; 08-13-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:55 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by stratplus
So, could I emty out the MC that has dot 3 and enter dot5 and just run it thrugh the lines. I am guess the old dot3 would be replced with d5
NO... you MUST get all the DOT 3/4 out first and then flush the system (i've heard of using alcohol for the flush) to make sure the 3/4 is completely out before adding DOT 5.
Bill
Old 08-12-2008, 08:45 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

If you are using DOT 3 or 4 now and are not planning on a complete redo of the entire brake system, simply refill with a quality DOT 4 such as Castrol LMA and flush until you get clean fluid at all the bleeders. Mixing of silicon and non-silicon fluids, even in trace amounts does not work, neither does the use of silicon fluid with seals that have spent their lives with DOT 4 or 5. This is a true safety issue if you are to have a reliable brake system!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:44 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the info...
Old 08-13-2008, 08:16 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by ejboyd5
Mixing of silicon and non-silicon fluids, even in trace amounts does not work, neither does the use of silicon fluid with seals that have spent their lives with DOT 4 or 5. This is a true safety issue if you are to have a reliable brake system!
I hear this repeatedly and I'd like to know why this is believed to be the case. Can you cite a source for this information?

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To "Typing" existing brake fluid

Quick Reply: "Typing" existing brake fluid