C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Heart of my Beast Grenaded !! Pics of the Aftermath !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:36 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Heart of my Beast Grenaded !! Pics of the Aftermath !!

More Pics added to page 3

Well as some of you know my 388 siezed up. Finally got some room in the shoppe so yesterday got her towed up and removed the motor and brought her home. I took some pics as I pulled off a lot of the accessories at home before we towed her and some interesting findings.

The good news is the rebuild will be bigger and better. The experience I've had the first time building a motor taught me a lot, and I will do MANY many things differently this time to make sure all goes better. I couldn't be happier with getting a chance to do this all over again.

As many of you have also read from previous posts. A while back i got a bad valve lash setting and found one rocker nut loose. I was pretty upset about it and why the shoppe didn't want to find out why there were metal bits in the head and said nothing will get damaged.

Fast forward to some old pics and pics from last night.

3 Pictures from the night after having my valve lash set. What I found after i removed the valve cover after hearing ticking noises.* 800 KM ago **

Clearest pic i got after I removed the intake duct off the throttle body yesterday morning.

What I found when I removed the valve cover yesterday morning. SAME head and SAME valve (intake cyl #1)

Fast forward to now. Looks like new heads will be needed. Rods will be changed pistons are going to be better anyways. I'm kinda hoping my crank is fine to reuse the big dollar sucker and go from there. Cam will be a different solid roller this time with probably over .600 lift and a different firing order.

I'm excited !

Last edited by 5abivt; 09-13-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

That looks expensive and sad.

Last edited by Klondike; 09-09-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:57 PM
dock351
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

My God, that is horrible!
i share your pain.
Keep us informed.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Road Agent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry man!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:15 PM
BlackC6LS3
Melting Slicks

You are more man than most. I'm glad you are looking at this as a chance to buid something bigger and better. Take your time and I hope your next engine performs even better.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:41 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Man, am I sorry to see what happened to your engine.

Looks like an oil ring spacer ring in the intake and at least one broken beehive spring. Am I right on that much?

Can this be yet another failure caused by the beehives?

What RPM was the engine at when this occurred? Any indication before-hand that something was amiss?

I, we'd, definitely be interested in learning about the final autopsy. I'm running a 388 LT1 too. Since the snake bit you, it could bite me as well.

Thanks

Jake
Old 09-09-2007, 08:14 PM
BlackC6LS3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JAKE
What RPM was the engine at when this occurred? Any indication before-hand that something was amiss?
I believe it was a pass in first gear at 8000 rpm.

Last edited by BlackC6LS3; 09-09-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Smooth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arrrrrrggggg

GEEZ MAN, THAT SUCKS!!!!

The sound must have been sickening. Glad you are going to hop right back on the horse and rebuild. Gives us perspective first time builders some one to learn from. Sorry for your experience, but, Gotta love the forum.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:43 PM
wmupaprmkr
Cool Hand Luke of W MI
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 176 Likes on 125 Posts

thanks for sharing the pics...hope you get up and running quickly!
Old 09-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ouch! That just plain hurts.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:18 PM
wtn
Instructor

Man, I thought I had problems. Is that the #8 cylinder? What's up with that number?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:50 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Thanks for the replies

There were many things that contributed to a continuing downward spiral in performance with this motor. When this happend, it was getting on an on-ramp to the freeway at 20 km/hr or so and when i stepped on it in 1st gear I gradually got on the throttle as not to blow the tire off.. when the on-ramp straghtened out i got on it and she pulled nice and hard and locked up at 7k rpm. there wasn't much noise. just a little jerk and I saw the service engine light pop so I stomped the clutch and pulled right over.

I'll mention this again that this isn't a blame post. I have a great relationship with the builder and they are working with me on this. having said that, I think the pictures show what i believe happened. After having a loose rocker and finding metal pieces in the head i was afraid of this happening. To ME, i believed since the moment it happened... the retainer split, dropped the valve, crunched the piston.. through the cylinder wall and piston bits right up the runner into the manifold and possibly into other cylinders. I knew from the moment it happened there was damage beyond the cyl wall as the motor was huffing and puffing white smoke out the left exhaust.

Coincidence the same rocker nut that had a nut come off after a valve job split a retainer and grenaded my motor ? Maybe we'll never know.

back to the good news. looks like i have to find another set of LT4 heads and start the process again. The experience of building a motor the first time was a valuable experience. I'll keep you guys posted as this comes along and definitely with more of the motor pics
Old 09-09-2007, 09:51 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wtn
Man, I thought I had problems. Is that the #8 cylinder? What's up with that number?
All the pics of the loose rocker and the dropped valve are the #1 cylinder drivers side Intake valve.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:54 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlackRoseLT1
I believe it was a pass in first gear at 8000 rpm.
My preliminary thoughts are:

8000 rpms on single springs is a receipe for failure. The pistons are always chasing the exhaust valve. If the spring cannot close that valve soon enough, the piston catches up and bang.

This can happen repeatedly at high rpms, so the valve(s) can take numerous hits. Once the valve bends, it will no longer close tightly, so the piston has a field day.

Each time the piston hits the mangled valve it sustains damage too. Ring grooves get closed solid and then the rings seize in the piston -Game Over.

If the valve head breaks off the carnage begins. Once things break off, you can find driver's side parts all the way over on the driver's side of the engine. Either in the plenum/manifold or on the top of the opposite side piston.

At that engine speed, broken parts fly around so fast it's unbelievable. I once had one of my 2 bolt BB engines let go in the water at 9200 and upon examination of what was left, looked like some magic fairy magically moved driver's side parts to the passenger side of the engine. All that was thanks to Skip Hamilton, his lead foot and no rev limiter.

These are just my initial thoughts. I REALLY would like to read up on what you find. I KNOW you don't want to walk this road again, so you'll take the time to find out the source of the failure.

Jake
Old 09-09-2007, 10:39 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JAKE
My preliminary thoughts are:

8000 rpms on single springs is a receipe for failure. The pistons are always chasing the exhaust valve. If the spring cannot close that valve soon enough, the piston catches up and bang.

This can happen repeatedly at high rpms, so the valve(s) can take numerous hits. Once the valve bends, it will no longer close tightly, so the piston has a field day.

Each time the piston hits the mangled valve it sustains damage too. Ring grooves get closed solid and then the rings seize in the piston -Game Over.

If the valve head breaks off the carnage begins. Once things break off, you can find driver's side parts all the way over on the driver's side of the engine. Either in the plenum/manifold or on the top of the opposite side piston.

At that engine speed, broken parts fly around so fast it's unbelievable. I once had one of my 2 bolt BB engines let go in the water at 9200 and upon examination of what was left, looked like some magic fairy magically moved driver's side parts to the passenger side of the engine. All that was thanks to Skip Hamilton, his lead foot and no rev limiter.

These are just my initial thoughts. I REALLY would like to read up on what you find. I KNOW you don't want to walk this road again, so you'll take the time to find out the source of the failure.

Jake
Jake I agree with you. AT first I thought the builder was nuts. They are Big block chevy beehives if you havn't noticed. With hollow valves the lightest pushrods and other components he just told me not to worry about it. I'll share a piece of my mind though. It may be high tech and 'different' but it never made me feel comfortable. on the other hand the motor did run for a very long time at high speeds including 10-15 top speed runs. Thats 5th gear over 7000 rpm for quite some time and never a hiccup.

If that is in fact what happened, I believe there are 2 things that could have contributed. 1 is possible reduction in spring pressure over an extended period. i mean hey I used to cruise around at 7k rpm in 3rd gear every time i was on the highway The sound was just way too cool !

the other was reduction in spring pressure from being overheated. There was a bad pigtail on the relay that was used for the electric water pump. more than a few occasions the car has overheated. I chased this problem many many times replacing relays etc but the odd time I would catch my temp rising a lil too high. I think overheating may have killed the springs some and possibly done much more damage elsewhere.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:41 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

I have already decided when the engine let go that my next heads WILL definitely have the BEST springs possible for the combination and they will NOT be beehives or singles
Old 09-09-2007, 10:50 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Here's what a triple valvespring looks like at 7,000rpm

Get notified of new replies

To Heart of my Beast Grenaded !! Pics of the Aftermath !!

Old 09-09-2007, 11:04 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Valve springs at work generate a LOT of heat which is controlled and cooled by oil. Any indication that the oil temps were exceedingly high?

Jake
Old 09-09-2007, 11:11 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Oil temp never got too hot. In fact 99% of the time it was too cool. Not sure if it wa a combo of synthetic oil and the canton pan but I wish it ran a bit hotter most of the time.

Under load (wot) id would creep up slowly and only once when it neared the hot zone (while racing a few bikes ) I got in 5th gear and the lower rpms dropped the temp real fast.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:12 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

So, you're saying that you believe that you dropped a valve. Okay, if that's the case, then you've got to figure out what caused that to happened.

Let's take a look at the valve train; List what you were running.

Start with the cam and work your way UP.

Jake

Quick Reply: Heart of my Beast Grenaded !! Pics of the Aftermath !!