C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent Help Required !!! Hurricane Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 04:33 AM
68downunder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent Help Required !!! Hurricane Wheels

This morning I had brief but lasting clash with gutter, which destroyed my rear drivers side rim.

The rim is unrepairable and so I’m left in the position of having to find a matching replacement. Making things more interesting is the fact that the rim is 60’s original after market rim build to fit 15inch by 12inch tires, my 68 coupe has flared guards so fitting less wide tires is not an option. My signature gives you an idea of what they look like.

The rims are reportable known as Hurricane’s from the late sixties, they are a single piece unit and my set is 12inch wide at rear and 10inch wide at front.

Does anyone know of Hurricane rims from the sixties, and if so are they attainable from somewhere.

I’m based in Australia so finding a rim locally is out of the question, any advice or help would be much appreciated.
Old 11-09-2001, 07:04 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Urgent Help Required !!! Hurricane Wheels (68downunder)

i believe western wheel company used to make rims like that but but not sure if still in business.
Old 11-09-2001, 08:19 AM
Jarmo
Drifting

Mine are similar - made by American Racing , they may be worth a go

cheers
Old 11-09-2001, 08:53 AM
xrated
Racer

Default Re: Urgent Help Required !!! Hurricane Wheels (Jarmo)

Where did you get that hood from? I love the look of it.
Sorry no idea on wheels.
Old 11-09-2001, 02:58 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

This looks close. It is a Western Cyclone II wheel circa 1975. I do not know what you mean by 10 and 12" tires but I had BFG T/A 255-60R/15s on these wheels. And 255mm is about 10". The outer edge to outer edge measurement on the wheel is 9 3/8" but they are stamped 15 x 8.5". Where to get them? Probably in salvage yards. There must be some marking on your wheels to tell you what name to search on.

[Modified by paul79, 1:05 PM 11/9/2001]
Old 11-10-2001, 08:40 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Sorry to be rude, but in this Forum I think those who take the time to post a pic and and in many cases suggest a solution deserve a reply as a matter of simple courtesy. You wanted a source of those wheels. I thought I might be a source.
Old 11-10-2001, 08:50 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Urgent Help Required !!! Hurricane Wheels (paul79)

Paul,

With the time change to Australia and other responsibilities, he may not have seen your post yet.

Cheers. :seeya
Old 11-10-2001, 09:14 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: Urgent Help Required !!! Hurricane Wheels (67HEAVEN)

OK, bad mood tonight. Corvette has gone away (storage) for five months of winter sleep. The weather is 0C (32F) with snow tonight. Nuff said.
Old 11-11-2001, 11:47 PM
68downunder
Instructor

Thanks erveyone for your help, I'm sorry i havent replyed early but i've had Mba exams and the Mrs hasnt let me near the computer.

I looks to me that Pauls Western Cyclone wheel are a match, thanks for going to such trouble to post a pic , i would of if i had a digital camera. My tires are 12inchs wide in diameter o i assume i need a rim that is also 12inchs wide in diameter. Paul i'm certainly intertsed in find out more about your set.

In regarsd to my bonnet, as far as i know its one off, the car did the show circut in the 70's in the US under the name Awsome. Big money was sent on flares, wheel and offsiders.

I thinks the bonnet is custom oneoff combenation of a vette and camaro.

Thanks all for your promt help. Being in Australia some time you feel a bit lnoe when you own a vette. Its great to have soem many wonderful enthusiasts out thier.

Cheers

Brett.
Old 11-12-2001, 10:08 AM
spokewrench
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Downunder I've got {2} of those hurricane wheels but they also measure about 9.5 " if your interested I'll post a picture . [IMG][/IMG]
SPOKE-
Old 11-12-2001, 04:59 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Downunder. Thanks for your e-mail. Much appreciated. The question you posed in that mail I did not have an answer for so perhaps someone in the Forum can help. As I mentioned earlier, a 255mm tire (such as 255-60R/15) is about 10" in width. You spoke of 12" tires which is about 305mm. I do not know of such a tire width in metric dimensions. What is the tire size on the side wall? Most are now metric. But the basic question is whether that 12" tire can fit on a 8 1/2" mag/alloy wheel such as the Western Cyclone with safety in mind. I do hope someone can answer that question.

BTW, I would be quite happy to ship you those Western Cyclone wheels as I have no need for them but I suspect shipping would cost more than they are worth. As I am sure you can understand I cannot just ship one. That leaves me with an incomplete set.

Get notified of new replies

To Urgent Help Required !!! Hurricane Wheels

Quick Reply: Urgent Help Required !!! Hurricane Wheels