[Z06] I hear ringing

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 06:43 PM
u4ick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I hear ringing

This is going to drive me nuts!!!

You know the Ding...Ding...Ding sound when you first turn the car on?
Well After the Dinging goes away I keep hearing a long tone same sound not as loud........the only way to get it to go away is to turn up the radio
It does not do this all the time, I've tried turning off the car and starting it again but it's still there when it does it.
And I can't tell where the sound is coming from.

Anyone have any clue to what this is or it's cause?

Also on a side note with out starting a new thread: what is the normal/recommended maintenance interval for changing the fuel filter?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:09 PM
utryd2
Melting Slicks

Are you sure its Ding Din Ding and not DEE DEE DEEE DEEEEEE.....Sorry had tooo...Carlos told me to do it!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:09 AM
Sick Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the car give you any other messages in the cluster display?

Note: Check engine light, service **** or anything else?
Old 09-05-2007, 03:55 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by u4ick
This is going to drive me nuts!!!

You know the Ding...Ding...Ding sound when you first turn the car on?
Well After the Dinging goes away I keep hearing a long tone same sound not as loud........the only way to get it to go away is to turn up the radio
It does not do this all the time, I've tried turning off the car and starting it again but it's still there when it does it.
And I can't tell where the sound is coming from.

Anyone have any clue to what this is or it's cause?

Also on a side note with out starting a new thread: what is the normal/recommended maintenance interval for changing the fuel filter?

Interesting ... I never noticed before ... there is no recommended maintenance interval for the fuel filter listed in the Service Manual.

I guess it's like the brake pads .... change when needed.

I have about 45,000 on mine and am planning to change it at 50k miles. Modern fuel pumps at filling stations have filters on them, so the fuel being pumped is SUPPOSED to be pretty clean ... assuming they are changed when they are supposed to be.

On the "tone" you are hearing .... that is usually called "tinnitus" and is a known side effect of those little blue pills ..... cut back on those and it will go away ......

Old 09-05-2007, 07:56 AM
u4ick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sick Z06
Does the car give you any other messages in the cluster display?

Note: Check engine light, service **** or anything else?
No, no messages no lights. It's not consistent, and just about impossible to tell where it's coming from.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:00 AM
u4ick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
Interesting ... I never noticed before ... there is no recommended maintenance interval for the fuel filter listed in the Service Manual.

I guess it's like the brake pads .... change when needed.

I have about 45,000 on mine and am planning to change it at 50k miles. Modern fuel pumps at filling stations have filters on them, so the fuel being pumped is SUPPOSED to be pretty clean ... assuming they are changed when they are supposed to be.

On the "tone" you are hearing .... that is usually called "tinnitus" and is a known side effect of those little blue pills ..... cut back on those and it will go away ......

I have 28k and I am getting some knock at wide open throttle, my tuner suggested changing out my fuel filter before we go getting into expensive things (dealer wants $62 for the filter, WOW) tune has been in the car for over a year now and has been fine till now.

If I paint the pill a different color will that help?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

i think the noise generator and speaker (if you can call it that) is inside the instrument cluster. If your getting weird noises from the tone generator, it could be because one of the following things:

--Poor connection inside the cluster (there are lots of connectors and boards inside the cluster) I would remove the cluster and re seat the connectors/boards! That usually works well in military gear! Oh,, yea, you also need to bang it a couple of times just for good measure!! !

--Poor circuit ground. The ground for the interior stuff is at the base of the door pillar where it connects to the door sill. Check that and the splice pack under the dash.

BC
Old 09-05-2007, 02:10 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No, no messages no lights. It's not consistent, and just about impossible to tell where it's coming from.
Aliens. Keep your car locked up in garage at night.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:11 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

I have 28k and I am getting some knock at wide open throttle, my tuner suggested changing out my fuel filter before we go getting into expensive things (dealer wants $62 for the filter, WOW) tune has been in the car for over a year now and has been fine till now.

Just don't paint it PINK.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:12 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
i think the noise generator and speaker (if you can call it that) is inside the instrument cluster. If your getting weird noises from the tone generator, it could be because one of the following things:

--Poor connection inside the cluster (there are lots of connectors and boards inside the cluster) I would remove the cluster and re seat the connectors/boards! That usually works well in military gear! Oh,, yea, you also need to bang it a couple of times just for good measure!! !

--Poor circuit ground. The ground for the interior stuff is at the base of the door pillar where it connects to the door sill. Check that and the splice pack under the dash.

BC
A few cuss words are the real sign of a good military man.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:14 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Personally, I don't change my fuel filter until probably 50k. Not sure if it needs it then.

Whenever I buy a used car, that is when I change it.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:05 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Painting the pills makes no difference to the tinnitus ... I've tried that .... and it won't help the knock either ... My g/f complains of my knock at wide open throttle after a good double dose of those pills ...

Seriously, though, check where your fuel filter is located ... sometime during th 2003 Model Year Chevy changed from a fuel filter external to the fuel tank to a filter located IN THE TANK ... I understand they are a MAJOR PITA to change.

Have you tried Napa or some similar parts location ... such as a forum vendor .... for the filter ... GF822 is the AC Delco part number ... Napa lists it under FIL3737 for $44.99 (enter part number 3737 at their site ...) or search on GM part number 10299146 (external filter) and see what you can find....
Old 09-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Bigstik
Burning Brakes

I am by far an auto mechanic or anything, but if you have an after market amp, or maybe even the stock amp, and if the ground is not suffiecent then you get a low whining noise. It doesn't go away when you turn the radio up, you just can't hear it anymore. This is going on in my truck right now, but i haven't had time to re-do the ground.

Nick
Old 09-05-2007, 07:36 PM
u4ick
Burning Brakes

BC
Thanks for the info.......
I did some more checking, I let the dinging quit and no sound, started the car and there it is.

Question: if the above recommendations would be the cause, then wouldn't I see some issues with the gauges?

I have no known issues other than the annoying sound.........it's not really that loud but because I noticed it......it makes it more noticeable to me.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:40 PM
u4ick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
Painting the pills makes no difference to the tinnitus ... I've tried that .... and it won't help the knock either ... My g/f complains of my knock at wide open throttle after a good double dose of those pills ...

Seriously, though, check where your fuel filter is located ... sometime during th 2003 Model Year Chevy changed from a fuel filter external to the fuel tank to a filter located IN THE TANK ... I understand they are a MAJOR PITA to change.

Have you tried Napa or some similar parts location ... such as a forum vendor .... for the filter ... GF822 is the AC Delco part number ... Napa lists it under FIL3737 for $44.99 (enter part number 3737 at their site ...) or search on GM part number 10299146 (external filter) and see what you can find....
I'm told by the dealer it is located right outside the tank perhaps on the top..............just picked up the filter today at Auto Zone for $42 with tax it was $46.??..............I laughed when the dealer refused to give me the Part#
Hopfully the filter solves the issue, or else it's a few hundred buck to get her back on the dyno
Old 09-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

[QUOTE=u4ick;1561797653]Thanks for the info.......
I did some more checking, I let the dinging quit and no sound, started the car and there it is.

Question: if the above recommendations would be the cause, then wouldn't I see some issues with the gauges?

I have no known issues other than the annoying sound.........it's not really that loud but because I noticed it......it makes it more noticeable to me.[/QUOTE

The tone circuit for the speaker is in the cluster. Like I said, you might find one of the plug in modles loose or the module to be bad. Its easy to check

BC
Old 09-05-2007, 09:34 PM
u4ick
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Bill Curlee;1561798647]
Thanks for the info.......

I have no known issues other than the annoying sound.........it's not really that loud but because I noticed it......it makes it more noticeable to me.[/QUOTE

The tone circuit for the speaker is in the cluster. Like I said, you might find one of the plug in modles loose or the module to be bad. Its easy to check

BC
Easy???!!!!!!!!
Pulling the gauge cluster is easy?

But why only when the car is running and not just the key on?

Get notified of new replies

To I hear ringing

Old 09-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

[QUOTE=u4ick;1561799221]

Easy???!!!!!!!!
Pulling the gauge cluster is easy?

But why only when the car is running and not just the key on?
Ahhh, check this. Get a digital volt meter and set it to AC volts. See if there is any AC voltage coming out of the alternator. If you have an O Scope, that a better device to look for noise or AC on the DC circuit.

BC
Old 09-07-2007, 12:37 AM
MrHiPerf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traction Control......every once in a while I get a "ding ding ding" while that system warms up. Could it be related to that? Or possibly the seat belt warning switch in the seat is defective......how much do you weigh?!

Last edited by MrHiPerf; 09-07-2007 at 12:38 AM. Reason: sp
Old 09-07-2007, 08:27 AM
u4ick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MrHiPerf
Traction Control......every once in a while I get a "ding ding ding" while that system warms up. Could it be related to that? Or possibly the seat belt warning switch in the seat is defective......how much do you weigh?!

Believe me I weigh plenty........

Actually you guys aren't going to believe this but, I thought the 2 questions I posed were totally unrelated.........turns out they may not be.

After some more listening to the sound and trying to determine where exactly it is coming from, it sounds like it's my fuel pump making the high pitched sound...........I haven't had the chance to change the fuel filter yet (been working long hours) but I hope to this weekend. Hopefully it's the filter causing the pump to "strain" from time to time........that's my wishful thinking anyway..........however I fear that the pump may end up needing changed
Has anyone had to change out a fuel pump on these cars before?
anyone know what kind of pressure these things should be putting out before the regulator?

Quick Reply: [Z06] I hear ringing