C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good price for 70 Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 01:28 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Default Good price for 70 Vette?

I've spotted what appears to be a badly run down 70 Corvette coupe with many non-original parts. It's parked in a shed and hasn't moved for several years. Assuming it needs extensive work to become a driver, what would be a reasonable price range for such a car?
Old 11-08-2001, 01:48 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Default Re: Good price for 70 Vette? (kellsdad)

You really have to check the car out. If it was running and put away correctly then you have to see what it has for options,#'s matching,etc. "Ball park" could be $8k- $15k if no major work required. Start subtracting if it was just left out, has a bad frame or windshield frame, needs major work and the parts are all there? Ball park couldbe as low as 1k. Do your homework before talking $$
Good Luck,
Gary
Old 11-08-2001, 02:16 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

No way to guess this one --too many variables. A lot of it has to do with where you're located. In different parts of the country, the same Corvette would bring different prices.
:)
Old 11-08-2001, 02:24 PM
Bill W
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Where are you located?
Old 11-08-2001, 03:03 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this the other day to help someone else compare.. maybe it will help you as well..

don't know that I can give you a good estimate on it's worth but I can give you a comparison...
I purchased a '71 coupe about a month ago. It was orginally a BB car but it has a '71 SB in it now. 1/2 the guages work it needs a new interior (carpets, seat coveres etc..) Needs a new rag joint, some suspension work (minor) and lots of TLC on things like weatherstripping, seals, etc..

It runs great! The clutch needs adjustment but that's easy. It has power everything (execpt windows) and A/C (which doesn't work).

Now I got all of this and drove the car 150 miles home with no problems for $6400.

Most of the other cars I was looking at in this price range had no motor or no tranny or had been wrecked etc..

Maybe this will help you compare?
Old 11-08-2001, 04:05 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Good price for 70 Vette? (Bill W)

The car is in northern Florida.
Old 11-08-2001, 11:09 PM
dlw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another forum member (yellow69shark) and I went to look at a 72 coupe that was advertised for 3500 dollars. The body was off the frame, but the frame and some of the suspension system was rebuilt (restored). Motor was apart. Body was shot for the most part. We passed. Way too many questions, and way too much work to get it together. I paid 5200 for a 70 vette that I drove home. That was in 1987. It was a bank repo.
Old 11-10-2001, 12:46 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check for rust - rust - rust! Frame, rear kickups, windshield pillar posts, radiator support. FWIW, when I got mine, it wasn't running - couldn't even be pushed barely (frozen brakes!). I had Tony's Corvette get it back on the road for me and do some mechanical / safety stuff to get it past inspection. You'll be taking a chance though! In my case it was a very loaded, low mileage, one owner, numbers matching convertible. So the risk factor was lower on account of the originality. I have some links to pricing guides on my web site: http://www.annapolis.net/members/jul...Buy&Price.html It's hard to rate condition - but it'll give you a potential price target (after you put in a lot of $$ and hours). BTW, if you can contact me offline, I'd really appreciate the info on that car for the '70 Corvette registry. :) Or you can click on the Registry logo to go to the registry web page. There's all sorts of new cool stats online thanks to Don -stuck in the great white north with an Excel spreadsheet! :lol: Thanks! Juliet@annapolis.net
Old 11-12-2001, 05:13 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Just to close out this thread - I tracked down the current owner of the 70 Vette and he wasn't interested in selling it for what it is worth. He wanted at least $6,000 and I'm sure it doesn't run. He claims he will be taking it to a relative who will be rebuilding it in the near future. I may try again after his relative tells him how much it will cost to get it on the road again.

Get notified of new replies

To Good price for 70 Vette?

Quick Reply: Good price for 70 Vette?