Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

VDP Pro 8 Shootout goes to Bill Maloney Sep 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 05:30 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Default VDP Pro 8 Shootout goes to Bill Maloney Sep 1

Two in a row for Boweryboy in the Vette Doctors Pro 8. Bill took the win over Mark Shaw going 8.59 while Shaw broke an axle in the first and final round

Bill takes over first place in the Pro 8 chase
Prelimanry points are on http://corvettechallenge.info/2007standingsp.php
Old 09-01-2007, 08:24 PM
STEALTH 99 C5
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I see Bill had the drag radials on , curious to see how they hooked for him , that one pass looks like the turbo wasn't spooled on the launch .

Good job Bill , now it's really a street car with the radials on it .
Old 09-01-2007, 08:31 PM
STEALTH 99 C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by REDGAR
Two in a row for Boweryboy in the Vette Doctors Pro 8. Bill took the win over Mark Shaw going 8.59 while Shaw broke an axle in the first and final round
So there were only two cars that showed up for the pro-8 ? That sucks , I want to start calling out some of those smack talking Canadians , to come down for the last one .
Old 09-01-2007, 09:25 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

Mike the first pass you are right it was not spooled and he had some kind of issue. 2nd pass he hooked with a 1.38 which matched his best on hooiser slicks (these are the 315 x 16 MT drag radial same I am using and I have gone 1.43 which is the same as my best on ET Streets) but I have that video from the top end so you really won't see the hook.

I hope to have that one up later tonight or tomrrow morning.

As for the Canadians, I get the same thing from them all the time, no cage. If you can get them to come....I am sure it would be a good show
Old 09-01-2007, 09:36 PM
STEALTH 99 C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by REDGAR
Mike the first pass you are right it was not spooled and he had some kind of issue. 2nd pass he hooked with a 1.38 which matched his best on hooiser slicks (these are the 315 x 16 MT drag radial same I am using and I have gone 1.43 which is the same as my best on ET Streets) but I have that video from the top end so you really won't see the hook.

I hope to have that one up later tonight or tomrrow morning.

As for the Canadians, I get the same thing from them all the time, no cage. If you can get them to come....I am sure it would be a good show
I ordered the bigger MT radials a few months ago , I'll be running them as well , glad to hear they can hold Bill's power level , and not break the driveline on the launch .
Old 09-01-2007, 09:52 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

Those were his only two passes thus far
Old 09-01-2007, 10:51 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

Okay here is the video.

Disclaimer, I was trying a new angle from the top end...a little past the finish line standing on my tail gate and using some digital zoom which is never a good thing. So the start of th video is a little more shaky than usual due to the extra zoom (it is so sensitive).

Anyway on this pass Bill 8.595 @ 148.85
click for video
Old 09-02-2007, 10:01 AM
asmokegars
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'06-'07-'08

Congrats to Bill! A mid 8 with that low of MPH - that car is quick!!!

Hope you can get back in one piece Mark. Sorry I missed you guys.

Wish I could have been there but a chance to enjoy a great day at the beach with friends and family won out. We had such a crappy rainy week at the beach & this at least made up for it a little.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:21 AM
98NYFINESTVETTE
Le Mans Master

Location: 10.70 @ 124mph, Stock Bottom End @ 3620lbs, ECS Racing Team Member. The 1st NMCA LSX Index Rumble World Champion. 2011,12,13 Champion

Congrats Bill.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:31 AM
boweryboy
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks Edgar for posting the results.

If was a bittersweet day yesterday. It was great running with Mike Shaw as always and the car ran great however, with only two cars showing it was a bit of a downer.

This was scheduled to be my last race with the car before it goes back to The Vette Doctors for a freshen up (Tranny and Rear inspection / maint., Engine inspection/maint, etc) since I have almost 100 passes on the car since it has been in the shop and dozens of sub 8.6 passes.

I actually performed a little home garage maint on the car this week in prep of Saturday. I had to modify the rear brakes and control arms to fit the new CCW set up John created for me to allow for the new 315 drag radials. I also changed the oil, spark plugs and a few other miscellaneous items. I took the car for a little spin around town and was surprised to see how much better the car hooked and drove on the streets of Toms River with the new drag radials. I made a blast up Route 37 and the car felt great!

When I got to the track yesterday, I pulled a couple of plugs just to check how the motor was running and a few where fouled. I replaced them and we went out for the first round. During the burnout, I noticed the motor was breaking up. I ran it anyway but the car was definitely down a few cylinders so half track I got out of it when it starting popping. Amazingly, the car ran a 9.3 on 6 cylinders.

When we took it back to the pits, I pulled the plugs and I immediately realized what I did, I forgot to re-gap the plugs I put in the car. The gap was excessively tight which caused them not to fire. Carmen and Denny helped me re-gap all the plugs to their spec's, and we tested the car. Immediately the car sounded like the beast she is! Being the last run prior to bringing the car in for a refresh, I wanted to make sure she was going to run right.

In the finals, I staged the car and did a stout burnout. I had Carmen and Dennis at the line closely inspecting the car. They both gave me the thumbs up indicating the car was running better. Mark lit his 1st light, I lit my 1st light, he then lit his 2nd and I built boost pushing into my 2nd. Once my 2nd light was lit, I laid into the trans brake and let her fly.

The car launched like a bat out of hell! The tires worked great! I pulled a 1.38 60 foot and the car pulled extra hard to the 1 to 2 shift. She really bit on the 2nd shift and pulled extra hard. I could not believe how strong it was running! I looked over to she where Mark was and could not see him. I hit third and I knew I had an 8.2 to 8.3 run going. I checked again to see if Mark was near but could not see him. I did not want to break out so a little after the 1/8 I stabbed the breaks hard and got off the gas.

When I picked up my slip, I was shocked to see an 8.58 at 141! One of my best ET's with a MPH 30MPH lest then normal!!!

This would have definitely been an 8.2 to 8.3 pass!!!

Unfortunately, Mark had trouble with his rear on launch. Mark's car was running great and I am confident that his car had a high eight in her yeaterday if it was not for the annoying rear issue. His car is running strong and he will be in the eight for the final Pro 8 I am sure. Great work Mark!

My Vette Doctors 97 Corvette has been absolutely incredible! It is extremely reliable and has a ton of un-tapped potential. I could not be happier with my car! I am sure this car has a high 7 in her on the drag radials! Kudos to The Vette Doctors and American Racing Headers for building 1 killer 8.50 Vette and as always thanks to Turbo People for all the support.

I have a great in car video of the finals run that I will post Monday night.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:33 AM
boweryboy
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by STEALTH 99 C5
I see Bill had the drag radials on , curious to see how they hooked for him , that one pass looks like the turbo wasn't spooled on the launch .

Good job Bill , now it's really a street car with the radials on it .
Mike,

How is it going? When will your car be ready. Will you have it at the LSX shootout? How about the next 8.5 index at Atco?

If you are going to do a track rental in the next few weeks let me know and I will try to join you with my car.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:39 AM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Congrats Bill,
Old 09-02-2007, 12:22 PM
tensecvet
Burning Brakes

Nice job Bill.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:05 PM
STEALTH 99 C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by boweryboy
Mike,

How is it going? When will your car be ready. Will you have it at the LSX shootout? How about the next 8.5 index at Atco?

If you are going to do a track rental in the next few weeks let me know and I will try to join you with my car.
Congrats Bill , Once you run with the radials you won't want to switch back , I'm sure the car felt a bit more stable up top . I seriously doubt I will make the LSX shootout , I really wanted to go , I'm hoping my car will be together in a few weeks , then I still have a lot of street miles to put on it to make sure everything is good with the new driveline , and then I have to dial it in at the track . Good luck to you if your going , it's a long haul , but it will be great exposure for you guys . Keep it safe .
Old 09-02-2007, 01:50 PM
markshaw70redBB
Pro

Congrats to Bill. As he said, dissapointing that it was only he and I racing in the Pro 8 class on such a beautiful day for making passes.

Bill and I have been runnng against each other all season and he clearly has the car to beat. While I have all the power in the world and can easily match his mid 8"s I have been fighting gremlins this year that keep me from taking an aggressive tune. Yesterday's qualifying run of 9.068 @ 151.85 was a personal best. There's plenty more. I actually dialed up a little more for the final with Bill as I wanted to have my first 8 second time slip, no matter what the outcome of the race. Interesting that I did not change the amount of HP or the RPM for the launch; the adjustment was made to bring on more at 1/2 track. Nonetheless, if you look at the great video that Edgar has posted here that is taken from the big end of the track you will see my car jump to the left as the left inner axle snapped when I released the trans brake.

Thanks to the Vette Doctors crew for assisting with the push and thanks to the RP crew who gave me a tow back to the trailer.

Even without the broken axle the win was Bill's since there was no way I was going to run anywhere near his numbers. That grocery getter sure gets it done.

I got busy this morning and pulled the 1/2 shaft and got the flange end of the broken axle out. The break is clean and occurred inside the bearing so there is no damage to either the bearing or the case. Since I run a 12 bolt with a spool there is no C-clip retaining the axle. I just need to devise a way to extract the other piece. I will get two new inner axles from Tom's and replace both while I'm at it.

See everyone on 10/27.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:03 AM
kwikfix91
Pro

great job bill
way to go vette drs
its allittle disapointing that there is only a few pro 8 cars lately,
the competition and rip racing fun is what i like, hopefully next race.
so mutch racing and so little competition
JOE
Old 09-03-2007, 01:26 PM
0Carmen@TheVetteDoctors
Former Vendor

Location: Amityville 2010 & 2011 NMCA Late Model EFI Champions BEST Service & the BEST prices on the EastCoast

Nice job Bill
Your car has been unreal it just runs better & better every time you take it out.
Can't wait to turn it up & put it in the 7s........

Get notified of new replies

To VDP Pro 8 Shootout goes to Bill Maloney Sep 1

Old 09-04-2007, 10:19 AM
LS7 ZO6
Racer

Bill
Nice work I was there Saturday Your car is a work of art.
VetteDoctors did one hell of a job on that thing.

I was talking to Dennis he said you still have not turned up the boost.
When you do look out. Would love to see you run in the Sevens with an IRS systen Again nice work
Old 09-04-2007, 10:44 AM
boweryboy
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by LS7 ZO6
Bill
Nice work I was there Saturday Your car is a work of art.
VetteDoctors did one hell of a job on that thing.

I was talking to Dennis he said you still have not turned up the boost.
When you do look out. Would love to see you run in the Sevens with an IRS systen Again nice work

Thanks everyone!

Here is an in car video camera view of my run this past weekend. This was the finals in the 8.50 index class. I was heads up with my competitor and I had a great run going. I could not find him so at about 2/3's track I had to let out since I know I would break out (run below 8.50) and automatically loose.

I still wound up running am 8.58 at 141mph. That is about 30MPH below my normal MPH. As you can see I hit the brakes hard at about 900 feet (before the timing tower).

In Car video of the Vette Doctor's Pro 8 Final run-On the brakes! 8.58 @ 141

And yes, she does have a lot lower number in her. How low, that is for the competition to try to figure out .

Bill
Old 09-04-2007, 06:14 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Congrats Bill!

Quick Reply: VDP Pro 8 Shootout goes to Bill Maloney Sep 1