C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette-Air Installation Problem with '08 Z51 Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 10:03 PM
deanm11
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Vette-Air Installation Problem with '08 Z51 Oil Cooler

Went to install my Vette-Air tonight but the new separate oil cooler (understand it used to be in a tank on the radiator) is right in the way of the installation. The one bolt that holds the cooler in place is through the part of the shroud that gets cut away and the scoop is supposed to go in place right through the area that oil cooler bracket occupies.

Carlos, do you have a solution for this problem ?
Old 08-26-2007, 10:57 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by deanm11
Went to install my Vette-Air tonight but the new separate oil cooler (understand it used to be in a tank on the radiator) is right in the way of the installation. The one bolt that holds the cooler in place is through the part of the shroud that gets cut away and the scoop is supposed to go in place right through the area that oil cooler bracket occupies.

Carlos, do you have a solution for this problem ?
Thanks Dean

As per our phone conversation tonight, I am looking into this first thing in the morning. One of our guys installed one on a Z51 and it seems that he cut a slot on the Vette-Air it self to slip the bracket brace through for re-installation.

This new kink will create a little problem to all the CAI kits on the market! It appears that I will have to provide a Z51 specific Vette-Air (slotted for bracket) and other guys will as well.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 08-27-2007, 01:03 AM
vette6500
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this only for the 08 Z51 or all Z51? Never mind, just read the heading
Old 08-27-2007, 04:45 AM
deanm11
Burning Brakes

Thanks Carlos. Not only specific to the '08(up) Z51, but '08 Z51 M6 cars.

I'd like to get an idea how much of a slot was necessary and how and what the bracket attaches to after the Vette-Air installation. Talk to you later
Old 08-27-2007, 11:41 AM
02impactblue
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did they put a stand alone oil cooler like on the z06 on the 2008 z51? On previous year z51's the oil and tranny cooler where integrated in the radiator. Can anyone confirm this external oil cooler?
Old 08-27-2007, 12:07 PM
deanm11
Burning Brakes

Yes, it is now an external oil cooler- that is why I am having this problem. (which would be with any ram air brand). It is smaller than the z06 (doesn't go the full width of the radiator/condenser like the z06) It sits from the left edge to about the middle.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:13 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 02impactblue
Did they put a stand alone oil cooler like on the z06 on the 2008 z51? On previous year z51's the oil and tranny cooler where integrated in the radiator. Can anyone confirm this external oil cooler?

Here is what we and ALL the other CAI kit guys will have to deal with

Look at the oil cooler location as Dean pointed out

The guys here cut out a slot on the VA for the braket to slide through. It appears that we will have to ask the LS3 guys to specify which model they have so we ship the VA with the slot in place for the cooler braket...more to come.

Thanks,
Carlos

Last edited by Myhardtop; 10-30-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:09 PM
deanm11
Burning Brakes

Carlos, thanks for beginning to work through the situation. I can understand the idea for the slot, but then what does the bracket mount to- as the stud and nut that holds the cooler bracket goes right through the discard/cutout area on the shroud.

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Here is what we and ALL the other CAI kit guys will have to deal with

Look at the oil cooler location as Dean pointed out

The guys here cut out a slot on the VA for the braket to slide through. It appears that we will have to ask the LS3 guys to specify which model they have so we ship the VA with the slot in place for the cooler braket...more to come.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 08-27-2007, 04:13 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Carlos, thanks for beginning to work through the situation. I can understand the idea for the slot, but then what does the bracket mount to- as the stud and nut that holds the cooler bracket goes right through the discard/cutout area on the shroud.
Damon,

According to my guy, the bracket was flipped so the stud side faces the cooler, a new hole was drilled to make it fit and he also said that the cooler slides over a bit (2 inches). Quite honestly, I have to see how he did it, I called the customer and asked him to take pictures and he said that he will bring the car over late Tuesday or Wednesday (weather permitting); it's too hot for him to bend down

I don't want you to go out and reconfigure anything with out me testing everything out first. My goal is to have the unit work around the car and not the car around the unit...you know what I mean? My initial idea: provide two six inch lines with male quick disconnect ends so it can be move more freely. On the LS7’s those oil lines are braced along the way to the sway bar; I wonder if the same goes for the LS3 Z51 MN6. If so, then it can be loosening up to give it play so it moves even more. I am brain storming brother, and because you were the first, I will hook you up with future business…Trust me, you will eventually want more speed parts

Our guys here are pretty crafty, I cannot expect the general public to be as crafty, and therefore I must revisit this new wrinkle with a very open mind ensuring that anybody can handle the install w/o needing a freaking automotive degree.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 08-27-2007, 04:24 PM
deanm11
Burning Brakes

That's good Carlos. I will wait patiently for the fully engineered solution.

Regards, Dean

Damon,

According to my guy, the bracket was flipped so the stud side faces the cooler, a new hole was drilled to make it fit and he also said that the cooler slides over a bit (2 inches). Quite honestly, I have to see how he did it, I called the customer and asked him to take pictures and he said that he will bring the car over late Tuesday or Wednesday (weather permitting); it's too hot for him to bend down

I don't want you to go out and reconfigure anything with out me testing everything out first. My goal is to have the unit work around the car and not the car around the unit...you know what I mean? My initial idea: provide two six inch lines with male quick disconnect ends so it can be move more freely. On the LS7’s those oil lines are braced along the way to the sway bar; I wonder if the same goes for the LS3 Z51 MN6. If so, then it can be loosening up to give it play so it moves even more. I am brain storming brother, and because you were the first, I will hook you up with future business…Trust me, you will eventually want more speed parts

Our guys here are pretty crafty, I cannot expect the general public to be as crafty, and therefore I must revisit this new wrinkle with a very open mind ensuring that anybody can handle the install w/o needing a freaking automotive degree.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 08-28-2007, 10:32 PM
deanm11
Burning Brakes

Well, I came up with my own solution.

I preferred to keep the cooler in the same location for full exposure to cool air and in order not to disturb the oil cooler lines at all. Since only the bracket is really in the way, I just bent up a bracket. It picks up only one of the two locations on the cooler, but I think it'll be just fine.

There's not enough room to get a drill in close enough to make the new hole for the stud that goes through the shroud, so I just used a punch to open up a hole and then let the threads of the stud pull it through the rough hole I created. Again, the original stud location will be removed by the cutting of the shroud process for the Vette Air.

Carlos, I still don't understand the difficulty in getting the Vette Air up in location - though I don't have my shroud cut yet, I can put the vette air right up through the opening seen in the pic and into position? Why does anything have to be loosened or go through the grille area ? Unless I won't be able to get the lip of the Vette Air into the shroud slot?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:53 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I preferred to keep the cooler in the same location for full exposure to cool air and in order not to disturb the oil cooler lines at all. Since only the bracket is really in the way, I just bent up a bracket. It picks up only one of the two locations on the cooler, but I think it'll be just fine.

There's not enough room to get a drill in close enough to make the new hole for the stud that goes through the shroud, so I just used a punch to open up a hole and then let the threads of the stud pull it through the rough hole I created. Again, the original stud location will be removed by the cutting of the shroud process for the Vette Air.

Carlos, I still don't understand the difficulty in getting the Vette Air up in location - though I don't have my shroud cut yet, I can put the vette air right up through the opening seen in the pic and into position? Why does anything have to be loosened or go through the grille area ? Unless I won't be able to get the lip of the Vette Air into the shroud slot?
isnt the oil cooler in the opening of the vette air, now you are cooling the oil but heating the air going in the vette air oil temps can reach 250 or higher in the cooler
Old 08-29-2007, 12:59 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Hello Dean,

As I mentioned to another member and over the phone to you, I literally went out last night and obtained a VY yellow Z51 2LZ MN6 from my dealer buddy for a couple of hours of R&D. During that time, we studied the whole oiling system set up and this was our findings:

If you don't mind: there are two oil lines (feed & return) coming through the sides of the shroud like the Z06, but unlike the Z06, these lines can be move once the bracket and the hold down plastic pieces are loosened up. There are about 5 to 6 inches of room where the lines can move over (once the plastic holds down clips are loose).

So now your bracket mounting assembly will mount next to the Vette-Air and still allow plenty of airflow to your oil cooler.

One of our tech guy who is currently on vacation installed a Vette-Air on a customer’s MN6 Z51 is this fashion. The customer unfortunately for me left for long weekend vaction as well...Darn Labor Day!

So yes, your method appears that would work, and once you cut the slot the vette-air can go right into place. Removing the grill mesh is an option, but I personally hate messing with those plastic push pens at the end.

Dean, please feel free to try it your method first and then ours, and if you are not happy, I will refund your Vette-Air purchase and pay for your new shroud...HOW IS THAT? Honestly, it should work!

Thanks,
Carlos

PS, I would like to use your LS3 Z51 MN6 install method with pictures with your permission, and for being a trooper, I will port your Intake and TB for FREE!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:12 AM
deanm11
Burning Brakes

Thanks Carlos.

I do appreciate the effort.

How did you get the cooler to go further to the driver's side, as the side of the shroud (right where the lines come in through a couple holes) would block the body of the cooler. When I got to that point, I switched to my method.

Also, I don't think I need any slots to be cut in the VA- as I see it, the VA will be completely clear of the bracket and cooler. The cooler itself is way up by the condenser (radiator) and the bracket will be a little close to the left side, top area of the VA, but I'm pretty sure I will be completely clear.

If you end up liking my method, you could have a stamped steel bracket made and maybe pick up both mounting locations of the cooler instead of the just the top one, like I have done.

Excellent service and offers Carlos.. unfortunately for me, I already have my intake and TB ported by Cory Harris and in transit back to me at this time.

Let me know what you think. Thanks, Dean

Hello Dean,

As I mentioned to another member and over the phone to you, I literally went out last night and obtained a VY yellow Z51 2LZ MN6 from my dealer buddy for a couple of hours of R&D. During that time, we studied the whole oiling system set up and this was our findings:

If you don't mind: there are two oil lines (feed & return) coming through the sides of the shroud like the Z06, but unlike the Z06, these lines can be move once the bracket and the hold down plastic pieces are loosened up. There are about 5 to 6 inches of room where the lines can move over (once the plastic holds down clips are loose).

So now your bracket mounting assembly will mount next to the Vette-Air and still allow plenty of airflow to your oil cooler.

One of our tech guy who is currently on vacation installed a Vette-Air on a customer’s MN6 Z51 is this fashion. The customer unfortunately for me left for long weekend vaction as well...Darn Labor Day!

So yes, your method appears that would work, and once you cut the slot the vette-air can go right into place. Removing the grill mesh is an option, but I personally hate messing with those plastic push pens at the end.

Dean, please feel free to try it your method first and then ours, and if you are not happy, I will refund your Vette-Air purchase and pay for your new shroud...HOW IS THAT? Honestly, it should work!

Thanks,
Carlos

PS, I would like to use your LS3 Z51 MN6 install method with pictures with your permission, and for being a trooper, I will port your Intake and TB for FREE!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:13 AM
deanm11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
isnt the oil cooler in the opening of the vette air, now you are cooling the oil but heating the air going in the vette air oil temps can reach 250 or higher in the cooler
No, the cooler is basically fully to the left of where the VA scoop will be and also back up against the condenser.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:46 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

No, the cooler is basically fully to the left of where the VA scoop will be and also back up against the condenser.
i thought that was the cooler in the vette air in the pic
Old 08-29-2007, 07:59 AM
deanm11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
i thought that was the cooler in the vette air in the pic
Oh, I see. No, that is just the cooler without the VA installed yet under the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Vette-Air Installation Problem with '08 Z51 Oil Cooler

Old 08-30-2007, 06:01 AM
deanm11
Burning Brakes

Here are a couple pics after the Vette-Air is installed in close quarters with the oil cooler:

The picture from the front shows the cooler in black.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:43 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Remember folks...

The minor oil cooler adjustment is for the LS3 Z51 with MANUAL trans ONLY!!!

Order yours today for only $124.95!

You can beat that for a CAI kit that can be use with any open filter element and with the stock AIS system!

Thanks,
Carlos

Last edited by Myhardtop; 08-31-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:09 PM
theofel
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'13

Good News For 08, C3, Z51 Owners With The Six Speed Automatc ... just Finished My Vette-air Installation And There Is No External Oil Cooler ... nothing To Move .. nothing To Modify ... just A Straight Foward Installation As Per Instructions. Very Easy Install! I'M GOING WITH STOCK AIR INTAKE...ITS A FRONT FEEDER. I HOPE ITS GOING TO BE JUST AS EFFIECENT AS THE AFTER MARKET UNITS THAT ARE NOT FRONT FEEDERS. THE AFTER MARKET SYSTEMS ARE COSTLY AND MANY DRAW THEIR AIR THROUGH 360 FILTERS THUS DRAWING HOT AIR FROM THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. I HOPE THAT THE COMBO OF STOCK AIR INTAKE AND VETTE-AIR ACCOMPLISHES MY GOALS. MY O6 HAD A VARARAM AND I WAS VERY PLEASED WITH THE RESULTS...BUT ALWAYS WORRIED ABOUT SUCKING IN WATER DURING RAINY SEASON IN FLORIDA. I THINK I'M GOING TO FEEL BETTER KNOWING THAT WATER WILL HAVE AN EXIT ROUTE BEFORE BEING FORCED INTO THE ENGINE.

Last edited by theofel; 08-31-2007 at 02:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Vette-Air Installation Problem with '08 Z51 Oil Cooler