C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the C6 Corvette "China Free"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 02:59 PM
GaussianMist
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Is the C6 Corvette "China Free"?

OK, we have heard it all, from lead poisoning to defective products like tires and others. Made in China is almost synomous with a WARNING LABEL.

I know Corvette is made in USA but is it truely a "China Free" product? Any parts made in China? Just curious...
Old 08-25-2007, 03:10 PM
adias
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure it has a lot of China-made components everywhere. It could not be otherwise.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by GaussianMist
I know Corvette is made in USA but is it truely a "China Free" product? Any parts made in China? Just curious...
Depends on how you feel about Taiwan......

New Polished/Forged wheels:

Old 08-25-2007, 03:23 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Taiwan is years ahead of RED CHINA in manufacturing quality goods IMO.... I try not to buy anything mfg in RED CHINA because I don't believe in slave labor! I try like heck not to buy anything mfg in RED CHINA for lots of reasons.. quality just being one of them............
Old 08-25-2007, 03:24 PM
turmat
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is that there is not a chance that it is China free.

Even if all of the purchased components and sub-systems are of US origin, the components for those systems probably have Chinese parts. It is the state of the world today.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:25 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

OK, we have heard it all, from lead poisoning to defective products like tires and others. Made in China is almost synomous with a WARNING LABEL.

While I'm not sure what the China content is after more than 20 years in manufacturing and watching the trends I'll say that I'm certain that it is not. There are 1,376 parts that the Corvette is assembled from and from those there will be hundreds more if not thousands of sub-components. The Bowling Green Plant website states that the car is 77% made in the USA. We all ready know that Canada, Mexico, France, Taiwan and others are used for parts and assemblies. I would feel pretty confident in saying that one or more of those suppliers sources one or more of their parts in China today. As sad as it is it is a sign of the times.

Paul
Old 08-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

My early '05 has had almost all of the numerous teething problems mentioned on this forum related to first year editions. But I haven't heard anything to suggest these were related to Chinese parts. Mostly just bad engineering.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:16 PM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw a post on the wheels a while back, as a n previous poster stated.. Lo and behold when I swapped out my wheels for Z06 wheels, the stockers were made in China!!
Old 08-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Are you afraid of lead poisoning, or salmonella?
Old 08-25-2007, 04:18 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 819 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I would suspect that a good portion of the components have been made in China, which would help explain the quality, or lack thereof, in my particular piece. But, I still love my car.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:23 PM
GaussianMist
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
Are you afraid of lead poisoning, or salmonella?
I'm not too worried about the two you have mentioned, however, I am worried about safety.

"Chinese Tires"
"The defect came to light in Philadelphia last year when a rear tire on a cargo van blew apart and wrapped around the axle, flipping the van into a sideways slide. Two people were killed, and a third was injured."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...080901973.html
Old 08-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

I'm not too worried about the two you have mentioned, however, I am worried about safety.

"Chinese Tires"
"The defect came to light in Philadelphia last year when a rear tire on a cargo van blew apart and wrapped around the axle, flipping the van into a sideways slide. Two people were killed, and a third was injured."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...080901973.html
Actually, I think "Made in the USA" Firestone tires still holds the record for tire failures and related accidents....

Last edited by Kent1999; 08-25-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by cthusker
Taiwan is years ahead of RED CHINA in manufacturing quality goods IMO.... I try not to buy anything mfg in RED CHINA because I don't believe in slave labor! I try like heck not to buy anything mfg in RED CHINA for lots of reasons.. quality just being one of them............
Old 08-25-2007, 04:37 PM
ABShortay
Intermediate

If anyone's seen me and my chinky eyes driving down the road, they'll know my vette will never be "China free."

(BTW I'm proud to be a chinese-american, but wish quality control in China could be a little better)
Old 08-25-2007, 04:39 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Actually, I think "Made in the USA" Firestone tires still holds the record for tire failures and related accidents....
whoops, wait up a min. per those who are in the know, (and care about such things), all the money goes to Bridgestone (since '88)---and we know who they are! of course, all those great, aftermarket WideOvals....

oh, and then there's the great KDWs by BFG. whoops!!!! company's owned by Michelin (1988). and we know Michelin is not....well, you know. it's not .... american.

and then there are those great PS2s. whoops! same problemo---Mitchy-Line. oooooossss.

so maybe Kumho, Toyo, Falken, etc......
Old 08-25-2007, 04:50 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by ABShortay
If anyone's seen me and my chinky eyes driving down the road, they'll know my vette will never be "China free."

(BTW I'm proud to be a chinese-american, but wish quality control in China could be a little better)
You have a great attitude and I can tell you that I may not have been so polite with my reply. You should be proud of your heritage.

I work with a couple of vendors who manufacture in China and I can't complain about their work ethic or their quality. They are trying to do a good job and usually do. I also ship to several customers in China (integrators for US companies) and they set rather high standards as well. Inexpensive doesn't always mean cheap. My frustration comes out of our (US) inability to compete on labor rates alone. Otherwise they are just some folks trying to do a job. Personally, I leave the politics out of it.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Corvette (as with most every 'American' car) is hardly "made in the USA." Many components come from Canada, Mexico and elsewhere. I would imagine some parts do, in fact, come from China. To generalize and say that "Made in China is almost synomous with a WARNING LABEL" is grossly inaccurate and unfair.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the C6 Corvette "China Free"?

Old 08-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Detour
Advanced

Originally Posted by cthusker

You try not to buy anything made in China? Are you kidding? Do you live in reality? You must not purchase anything other than fresh food. You may not agree with China's labor practices but support them with almost every purchase you make. (BTW..Most of the fresh food that we purchase is from Mexico, due to where we live).

Nearly everything is manufactured in China these days (Like that computer you are typing on, your phone, Ipod, Television, clothes, shoes, on and on…). Almost all electronic parts are manufactured in China. Some are from Korea, Malaysia, and even a select few from the US. That’s right, many of those electronic parts in your car come from China. Reuters noted that GM now buys about 32% of its parts from low-cost countries such as China. Yes, you have Chinese parts in your vette, and every other car you own...and just about everything else you purchase. If it is not manufactured in China, then some of the parts likely are.

Walk through a Wal-Mart someday and take a look, Wal-Mart alone accounts for 1% of China's GDP. GM spent over $10billion last year in parts from China. The world is truly a world economy. Cars, Trucks, computers, and all other large complex goods have parts from all over the world.

As a frequent business traveler to China and Taiwan, quality depends on the company manufacturing and the talent of the design teams. I have seen high quality and low quality parts from China, the USA, and many other countries.

I remember the 80’s well as I lived in Detroit at the time. Wow, USA automobile quality was really good back then.. You were lucky to get 3 years out of an American made car which is why the Japanese captured the auto industry and continue to do so..

I am not pro-Chinese or anti-American, just pro-reality.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:58 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

well said, detour. with knowledge aforethought, too.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:01 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How much more would the Vette cost if parts weren't made in China....

Quick Reply: Is the C6 Corvette "China Free"?