Sponsored by:

So your air vent blower motor doesn't work on high....pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 05:19 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So your air vent blower motor doesn't work on high....pics

Just fixed the blower in my '73. It would not work on high, now it does. This is the most likely cause for it not working on high, only.

Here is the resistor pack, pass. side air chamber. The fan uses one res. for off, a second one for low, both for medium and a bypass relay (next pic) for High.

The resistors reside in the air flow area. Good idea actually. GM is good for that.

Here is the blower relay. The green wire goes hot (+12V) on the switch selecting "High" & key "On". there is a seperate Blk Gnd wire towords the back of the relay you can't see in the pic. Individual hook up.

The relay shorts the Org wire (Full +12V) to the Purple wire (blower motor power wire) after the resistor pack, for full power. No problem with a common Batt.

Test yours by unpluging the 3 wire plug at the bottom of the relay. With the black lead of your DVM to a good gnd source, The green wire should go to +12V with the Key ON and the switch in the High position, only. If that's ok, check the Orange lead. It should be +12V all the time. If it's not, time for a repair.

The Org wire gets it's power from the + junction of power wires at the Horn relay stud, drivers side, midway up. the Org wire is fused near the power junction. The blower motor draws about 7 amps running on High. This is most likely the problem.

Note the rust

Time to replace it. Radio Shack can be very handy.

Cut it out, strip back about 3/16 of an in, each side, and crimp in Yellow butt splices.

Ready for the New fuse holder. Use a 20A fuse. You must use a fuse holder with 12 Gauge or greater wire attatched, 10 gauge prefered. the current runs about 12amps on high.

Here we are all crimped in with some heat shrink too. Crimp HARD. test by pulling slightly on the wires.

Heat shrink them or wrap them in two layers of good electrical tape.

Here we go. all neatly done,, and, the best part, the Blower motor works on High again!

Last edited by RunningMan373; 09-22-2007 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:27 AM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait wait I did't really get all that maybe if you posted some nice detailed step by step pictures....Thanks
Old 08-17-2007, 06:40 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Love My 72 and 77
Wait wait I did't really get all that maybe if you posted some nice detailed step by step pictures....Thanks
I was gonna post more,, but I figured,, what the hey,, these people got brains too, right....
Old 08-17-2007, 06:44 AM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

Hey your down in Oaktown I am just above Sac, I was kidding hanes manuals should hire you to take pictures for their manuals was my first thought
Old 08-17-2007, 07:37 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice detailed writeup. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Another fine example of an enthusiast takeing the time to help others. A true brotherhood...aren't we.
Great job...thanks
Eddie
Old 08-17-2007, 05:00 PM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Thanks,, neede a fan,, AC's not working,, maybe a future post?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:36 PM
Overlord
Le Mans Master

Location: Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the women TX

Originally Posted by RunningMan373
I was gonna post more,, but I figured,, what the hey,, these people got brains too, right....
Hey! I don't talk about you! Uh..... wait a minute.......oh......
Old 02-20-2009, 12:16 PM
My70
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RunningMan373
Just fixed the blower in my '73. It would not work on high, now it does. This is the most likely cause for it not working on high, only.

Here is the resistor pack, pass. side air chamber. The fan uses one res. for off, a second one for low, both for medium and a bypass relay (next pic) for High.

The resistors reside in the air flow area. Good idea actually. GM is good for that.

Here is the blower relay. The green wire goes hot (+12V) on the switch selecting "High" & key "On". there is a seperate Blk Gnd wire towords the back of the relay you can't see in the pic. Individual hook up.

The relay shorts the Org wire (Full +12V) to the Purple wire (blower motor power wire) after the resistor pack, for full power. No problem with a common Batt.

Test yours by unpluging the 3 wire plug at the bottom of the relay. With the black lead of your DVM to a good gnd source, The green wire should go to +12V with the Key ON and the switch in the High position, only. If that's ok, check the Orange lead. It should be +12V all the time. If it's not, time for a repair.

The Org wire gets it's power from the + junction of power wires at the Horn relay stud, drivers side, midway up. the Org wire is fused near the power junction. The blower motor draws about 7 amps running on High. This is most likely the problem.

Note the rust

Time to replace it. Radio Shack can be very handy.

Cut it out, strip back about 3/16 of an in, each side, and crimp in Yellow butt splices.

Ready for the New fuse holder. Use a 20A fuse. You must use a fuse holder with 12 Gauge or greater wire attatched, 10 gauge prefered. the current runs about 12amps on high.

Here we are all crimped in with some heat shrink too. Crimp HARD. test by pulling slightly on the wires.

Heat shrink them or wrap them in two layers of good electrical tape.

Here we go. all neatly done,, and, the best part, the Blower motor works on High again!

Do you know if Zip or someone else has the resistor pack?
Old 02-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

My70,
Try your local AC Delco dealer.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:06 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

NCRS is gonna have your ***