C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

hydraulic vs mech clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:59 AM
drewdog66vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydraulic vs mech clutch

i am upgrading my tranny to 5 speed. i have the option of going with hydraulic clutch and currently have mechanical. my question is, what is the real difference. i understand the mechanics but is the hydraulic better? smoother? more reliable? these are questions i have before i do this. any feedback is appreciated.....
Old 08-16-2007, 10:05 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

my 2 cents....

if your present mechanical system is not broken, DON'T try to fix it...

a hydraulic swap will be all sorts of nightmares and then have the potential for leaks and other problems...
Bill
Old 08-16-2007, 03:13 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

The real difference?

It would be a little smoother, maybe.

It would be quieter. The mechanical linkage leaves a track for noise from the throwout bearing to come inside the cabin.

They're expensive to purchase and of course expensive to replace if they start leaking. The stock linkage is smooth and easy. I can't imagine what you're trying to fix.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:11 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by MikeM
The real difference?

It would be a little smoother, maybe.

It would be quieter. The mechanical linkage leaves a track for noise from the throwout bearing to come inside the cabin.

They're expensive to purchase and of course expensive to replace if they start leaking. The stock linkage is smooth and easy. I can't imagine what you're trying to fix.
When we installed the 502 in our 67 it didn't have the forward boss in the block to mount the clutch cross-shaft. So I had to either design a new "Z" bar mount or go with a hydraulic unit. I chose the harder route for some reason......

Besides the expense we had to design a mount for the master cylinder to stiffen the firewall, reposition the clutch rod, mount the remote reservoir and make the braided line to the unit. It does work well (slightly less pedal effort) but, if I had to do it again, I'd stick with the mechanical setup - simpler design, more trouble-free and less costly.

The unit we used was from McLeod which used a Wilwood master. There may well have been improvements to the design and ease of installation since we did ours but that was our experience.

Rich

Get notified of new replies

To hydraulic vs mech clutch

Quick Reply: hydraulic vs mech clutch