Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question for all the C6 install Guru's..

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 10:01 PM
USAF_C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question for all the C6 install Guru's..

Okay guys I am installing an AVIC-Z2 in my 2006, 3LT.

I'm using the Peripheral Electronics GMAH24B for the harness. Now when hooking this thing up to the harness for the radio, it says the rear speaker leads are not used in a Bose setup like mine. Does this mean I'm losing my rear speakers?

I guess I'm a bit confused... HELP! I'm sure there will be more questions as I work through this harness tonight... Any advice would be wonderfull!
Old 08-11-2007, 10:19 PM
USAF_C6
Burning Brakes

The Black Ground wire in the radio harness...

Z2 install manual says ground to vehicle (metal) ... But the GMAH24B has a ground wire (also black) on its harness, I assume I can hook these two up and ground the stereo through the GMAH24B?

Basically... I pretty much can't go wrong as long as I match color/stripe to like color/stripe correct?

Thanks again guys!
Old 08-12-2007, 08:10 AM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Hi, I'm finishing up installing my D3 today. As far as the Black grounds I grounded them all. there is 1 10mm nut in the bottom of the radio cavity towards the back left side, I ran a ground wire from there to all my black wires. I also ran a chasis ground to make sure they ground good.

My 07 3lt used the peripheral model GMCO. I have Bose but no Onstar, you must have Onstar. Good luck on your install, sorry I cant help with the interface.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:54 AM
USAF_C6
Burning Brakes

Are your chimes working?? I've hooked everything up, and everything works except the chimes?!?! I'm lost, everything is connected correctly and their application guide says no chime module is needed in my case... HELP!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:09 AM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by USAF_C6
Are your chimes working?? I've hooked everything up, and everything works except the chimes?!?! I'm lost, everything is connected correctly and their application guide says no chime module is needed in my case... HELP!
I had the same problem when a shop had the wrong interface.

Does your car have Onstar ? If not you have the peripheral.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:32 AM
USAF_C6
Burning Brakes

Yep I do have onstar. All of that is working.

I double checked the application guide, and for an Onstar with Bose I need the GMAH24B which I'm using. Says I shouldn't need a chime module...

Not sure what the problem is.. On the bright side... everything else works!

My guess is something is not hooked up quite right and the Bose amp is not powering up... Thisis where the chimes come from right? If the bose didn't power up would I still get sound? Because right now I still have sound.

Last edited by USAF_C6; 08-12-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:59 AM
USAF_C6
Burning Brakes

My guess is something is not hooked up quite right and the Bose amp is not powering up... Thisis where the chimes come from right? If the bose didn't power up would I still get sound? Because right now I still have sound.
Well I don't think this was it.. As far as I can tell the amp is powered. This is weird because everything is working...

Evidently, after some internet searching it appears I do need the chime module they say I don't need. So One of them puppies is on the way! Until then.. No beeps..

Last edited by USAF_C6; 08-12-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:00 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Well I don't think this was it.. As far as I can tell the amp is powered. This is weird because everything is working...

Evidently, after some internet searching it appears I do need the chime module they say I don't need. So One of them puppies is on the way! Until then.. No beeps..

This is another way where the C6 is different from other GM's with Bose of the same model years. In some cars the Bose amplifier is what generates the chime so you don't need to do anything except pass signal to it but in our cars it's the head unit that generates the chime so you do need it.

You're one of the few with Onstar that has changed out their head unit so unfortunately you got to be the guinea pig. I will update my install info so that folks won't have that trouble going forward.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:35 PM
USAF_C6
Burning Brakes

Great thanks!

Okay so everything is hooked up and working, sans chimes. Love it! Bluetooth is awsome too!

Only thing I have noticed is my battery voltage used to rise up to like 14.0 after starting the car and now its down around 12.8-13.0 is this normal??

I'm assuming its normal due to the new unit drawing more power... Unless one of you experts tells me otherwise!

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Aceman
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default So i understand...

If we have a 3LT w/ bose, all you need is the GMAH24B and the chime module and you can put another head unit in? no swapping out amps / speakers etc.? do your steering wheel controls also work?

thx for the info.

Aceman
Old 08-12-2007, 01:55 PM
USAF_C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Aceman
If we have a 3LT w/ bose, all you need is the GMAH24B and the chime module and you can put another head unit in? no swapping out amps / speakers etc.? do your steering wheel controls also work?

thx for the info.

Aceman

Yes it was quite easy.

You'll need the GMAH24B (W/Onstar, W/out Onstar is the GMAH24 I believe) and the GMAHCM for the chime. Mine is an 06' so I do not have steering wheel controls, however they do make a unit to cover that as well.

Only problems/complaints I have so far are:

-No rear Speakers... GMAH24B instructions say not to wire them up on a Bose install.
-Getting all the wiring shoved in behind the head unit was a B**ch!
-Voltage is reading lower than before. (This may or may not be a problem.. still waiting for one of the Guru's to let me know.)
Old 08-12-2007, 02:01 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Yes it was quite easy.

You'll need the GMAH24B (W/Onstar, W/out Onstar is the GMAH24 I believe) and the GMAHCM for the chime. Mine is an 06' so I do not have steering wheel controls, however they do make a unit to cover that as well.

-No rear Speakers... GMAH24B instructions say not to wire them up on a Bose install.
-Voltage is reading lower than before. (This may or may not be a problem.. still waiting for one of the Guru's to let me know.)

No reason to not wire the rear speakers... again I think that may be one of those differences in Corvette vs other GM models. But they don't do a whole lot anyway so I wouldn't be worried about it.

The difference in the modules is whether or not you have Onstar first, then whether or not you have Bose. If no onstar than it's the GMCO straight up. If you have Onstar and Bose it's the GMAH24B, without Bose it's GMAH24 and both need the chime module.

No reason your alternator voltage output should be lower due to the install. I don't recall which reading the DIC displays, battery or alternator output.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:07 PM
USAF_C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
No reason to not wire the rear speakers... again I think that may be one of those differences in Corvette vs other GM models. But they don't do a whole lot anyway so I wouldn't be worried about it.

No reason your alternator voltage output should be lower due to the install. I don't recall which reading the DIC displays, battery or alternator output.
So you think I could wire up the rear speakers? Is it worth it at all? I sent an E-mail to Peripheral Electronics about it also. I'll let everyone know what they say.

Yeah I didn't think the voltage should be different either. I think it might have just been from all the playing around with the system... it's back up to 13.6-13.8 now. I'll just keep an eye on it.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:42 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes it was quite easy.

With NO Onstar and if you have Bose you would use a GMCO module, I just finished it sounds great everything works all the speakers, chimes and all.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:21 PM
USAF_C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdurhan
With NO Onstar and if you have Bose you would use a GMCO module, I just finished it sounds great everything works all the speakers, chimes and all.
Yep that is correct! My mistake. The GMAH24 is for Onstar and no Bose.

Update.. Voltage has returned to normal.. I think the Battery was just weak from all the playing around with the system.

I'd still like to know everyones take on the rear speaker situation.

Also I'd like to hook the stereo's dimmer wire to the light on the Active Handling button. But I'm not sure which Wire... (there are 3) could someone with a shop manual take a look at the wiring diagram for me?

Otherwise it works great! Can't wait to get the chime module in there and get up to 100%!
Old 08-12-2007, 06:45 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Yep that is correct! My mistake. The GMAH24 is for Onstar and no Bose.

Update.. Voltage has returned to normal.. I think the Battery was just weak from all the playing around with the system.

I'd still like to know everyones take on the rear speaker situation.

Also I'd like to hook the stereo's dimmer wire to the light on the Active Handling button. But I'm not sure which Wire... (there are 3) could someone with a shop manual take a look at the wiring diagram for me?

Otherwise it works great! Can't wait to get the chime module in there and get up to 100%!
the gray wire becomes hot when lights come on, however it barely lit my test light, so I ran it to the rear tail light works great and only took 10 minutes to run. I ran it under the carpet and out through taillight grommet.

Your rear speakers dont make sence wonder why they dont work, HMMM. What did Dan have to say (komoman) he knows best.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:41 AM
USAF_C6
Burning Brakes

Yep I'm curious about the expert opinion also!

Get notified of new replies

To Question for all the C6 install Guru's..

Old 08-13-2007, 11:47 AM
USAF_C6
Burning Brakes

So you think I could wire up the rear speakers? Is it worth it at all? I sent an E-mail to Peripheral Electronics about it also. I'll let everyone know what they say.
Here is what the techs at Peripheral Electronics had to say:

________________________________________ ________________________________________ ________________________________________ ________________________________________ ______
The reason the rear wires are not hooked up is because the Premium Bose amplifier can only accept 2 channels of input. The fader/balance of the factory radio is controlled via data communication between the radio and amp. You will lose the fader controls because of this.

Ernie Hartman

Technical Advisor
________________________________________ ________________________________________ ________________________________________ ________________________________________ ______

So another one for the experts out there:

Is his diagnosis of the Bose correct? If not should I attempt to hook up the rear speakers?

If the diagnosis is correct, this is an issue all Bose upgrades will have to deal with. Unless you remove the Bose stuff and start over.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I dont understand why they say they wont work, I have a peripheral module and all my speakers work. Does the onstar screww it up.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:44 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Here is what the techs at Peripheral Electronics had to say:

The reason the rear wires are not hooked up is because the Premium Bose amplifier can only accept 2 channels of input. The fader/balance of the factory radio is controlled via data communication between the radio and amp. You will lose the fader controls because of this.

Ernie Hartman

Technical Advisor

So another one for the experts out there:

Is his diagnosis of the Bose correct? If not should I attempt to hook up the rear speakers?

If the diagnosis is correct, this is an issue all Bose upgrades will have to deal with. Unless you remove the Bose stuff and start over.

The Corvette is NOT the "Premium Bose" system he's referring to. It's another classic assumption that the Vette is like the other GM's. There are 4 channels of low level signal coming out of the stock head and leading to the Bose amp in C6 - and I have the service manual to prove it.

Quick Reply: Question for all the C6 install Guru's..