C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jim Hall, what.......???

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 12:13 PM
robbiC5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jim Hall, what.......???

What do you recommend for an '05 C6 w/your Stinger?

1. Halltech cold air option

2. Vette-air

Thanks,

Old 08-10-2007, 12:58 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by robbiC5
What do you recommend for an '05 C6 w/your Stinger?

1. Halltech cold air option

2. Vette-air

Thanks,

Hello Rob,

I am not Jim Hall, I'm Carlos wannabe Hall

But I can answer your question if I may:

DO IT ALL

Thanks

Old 08-10-2007, 03:20 PM
robbiC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Hello Rob,

I am not Jim Hall, I'm Carlos wannabe Hall

But I can answer your question if I may:

DO IT ALL

Thanks

Hey Carlos, I already have the SSM Stinger installed ( has been for almost 2 years ). I was just wondering which of the lower grill/fascia units is the best, i.e.....ease of install, looks, SOTP feel, etc.etc....
Old 08-10-2007, 03:48 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Hey Carlos, I already have the SSM Stinger installed ( has been for almost 2 years ). I was just wondering which of the lower grill/fascia units is the best, i.e.....ease of install, looks, SOTP feel, etc.etc....
Hello Rob,

Both units are functional, however, the Vette-Air will provide you a direct stream of air right into the Stinger. The lower grill facia looks better since you cannot really see the vette-air unless you are looking for it. The lower grill facia enhances what GM designed.

Take a look below

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Carlos

Last edited by Myhardtop; 08-10-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:54 PM
C6VETTEWIFE
Instructor

Hey robbic5 did you notice any SOTP difference when you installed the SSM Stinger ?
Old 08-10-2007, 05:22 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Myhardtop;1561445364]Hello Rob,

Both units are functional, however, the Vette-Air wil lbe provide you direct air into the Stinger. The lower grill facia looks better since you cannot really see the vette-air unless you are looking for it. The lower grill facia enhances what GM designed.

Will this scoop work with a Callaway Honker? Thanks
Old 08-10-2007, 06:14 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

[QUOTE=vettealot;1561446697]
Hello Rob,

Both units are functional, however, the Vette-Air wil lbe provide you direct air into the Stinger. The lower grill facia looks better since you cannot really see the vette-air unless you are looking for it. The lower grill facia enhances what GM designed.

Will this scoop work with a Callaway Honker? Thanks
Hmmm, good question! I can't remember trying the Calloway with the Vette-Air back over year ago when we were doing some testing.

How big is the hole for the Calloway? Can you please send me or post a picture(s)? Sorry, I can't give you a true answer w/o taking a look at the hole.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 08-10-2007, 07:12 PM
redline_ken
Racer

Hello Rob,

Take a look below

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Carlos

I installed the Halltech Stinger a few weeks ago, but realized it was taking in the hot dead air under the hood. So last weekend I modified my own air dam behind the grille, like the CAI, by cutting the ends out and installing screens. It looks great and functions perfectly (and only cost me $10 in materials). The problem that I see with the Vette-Air (which hasn't been replied to by the vendor yet) is that it seems to supply air only to the BOTTOM of the Stinger, which is useless! On their install video they show it being installed on a ZO6, where the intake is perfect for this. I'd love to go with this also, but doesn't seem to function with the Stinger type of filter. The CAI mod is GREAT though.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:27 PM
SS502MC
Instructor

Ken,

Do you have any pics of your mod? Sounds interesting
Old 08-10-2007, 07:50 PM
redline_ken
Racer

Picture a silver mesh screen in each corner of the front of your VR coupe, behind the stock black grille. That's my car! The contrast looks great, to me. You can tell it's a nasty mod. I can try to send you a pic of the modified piece.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:19 PM
SS502MC
Instructor

Got a pretty good idea of what you are talking about, but a pic would be great.

Thanks for the assist
Old 08-10-2007, 10:42 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by redline_ken
I installed the Halltech Stinger a few weeks ago, but realized it was taking in the hot dead air under the hood. So last weekend I modified my own air dam behind the grille, like the CAI, by cutting the ends out and installing screens. It looks great and functions perfectly (and only cost me $10 in materials). The problem that I see with the Vette-Air (which hasn't been replied to by the vendor yet) is that it seems to supply air only to the BOTTOM of the Stinger, which is useless! On their install video they show it being installed on a ZO6, where the intake is perfect for this. I'd love to go with this also, but doesn't seem to function with the Stinger type of filter. The CAI mod is GREAT though.

Correct, air does feed from the bottom and rushes in due to the acute upstream curve design of the Vette-Air. Your CAI idea is good, but IT DOES NOT SHIELD away heat from the radiator area like the vette-air does. You want proof, borrow a Tech II or HP Tuners device, then watch your AIT readings and come back with your results

We've tested your type of mod in the past and found that it does provide more air into the filter, but at the expensive of heat. Hot/warm air reduces timing and thus loss of power. The Vette-Air helps shield away heat; it is made out of a very strong but yet light fiberglass material that dissipates heat very quickly and it will NOT get flimsy like many plastic units out on the market today after so many cold and hot cycles...remember the LS1's fiascos?

Okay, here is a test: Drive your car for 30 minutes, pop your hood and touch your shroud and filter...they will be warm from the radiator and engine. Now, install Vette-Air in, drive car again, pop hood and repeat touch test. You will find that YOUR STINGER, VENOM or KILLER BEE filter will be much cooler than previous test! Why? Because the Vette-Air supplies outside air into your element especially in the most critical area, the BOTTOM of your filter! Lower AIT readings are essential for producing maximum power. Remember, high AIT readings cause timing fluctuations and loss of power.

There is a reason why many pf those free/cheap mods DON'T outperform many of the CAI kits out in the market today.

The Vette-Air has been proven over and over again! Remember, volume of air is good, but the VELOCITY of the air is even better and helps you produce the kind of power you crave. The Vette-Air/Halltech combo is found in many of the fastest and most powerful Corvettes; is this coincidence? I doubt it!

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 08-10-2007, 11:54 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 866 Likes on 609 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Correct, air does feed from the bottom and rushes in due to the acute upstream curve design of the Vette-Air. Your CAI idea is good, but IT DOES NOT SHIELD away heat from the radiator area like the vette-air does.
O.K. I give. What is the "vette-aire" . I clicked on your link and did not see any pics of this device intalled. WTF is it ?
Old 08-11-2007, 12:53 AM
11secondGP
Burning Brakes

Its a piece of ducting to channel air to the filter area from the grill.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:06 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 866 Likes on 609 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by 11secondGP
Its a piece of ducting to channel air to the filter area from the grill.

I appreciate the response. But I saw the pics you attached on the website .

I would like to see a pic of one installed, because I don't see much value. It looks like it doesn't directly couple to the inlet ductwork.

Does it just "point" the air towards the air filter ?
Old 08-11-2007, 12:09 PM
redline_ken
Racer

Correct, air does feed from the bottom and rushes in due to the acute upstream curve design of the Vette-Air. Your CAI idea is good, but IT DOES NOT SHIELD away heat from the radiator area like the vette-air does. You want proof, borrow a Tech II or HP Tuners device, then watch your AIT readings and come back with your results

Thanks,
Carlos
One question (which you still haven't answered).... how do you force air from your Vette-Air unit into the SOLID RUBBER BASE of the Stinger type air filter????? It SITS DIRECTLY OVER THE RADIATOR SHROUD where you cut the hole for this vent! And as far as the intake being cooler.. I guess it would be due to air being forced against the bottom of the filter! If I put my foot over the air conditioning duct on the floor in my house it would be cold too! But it doesn't mean it's getting into the engine! The CAI forces air in on both sides, into the large surface area of the exposed air filter element. As I asked in my private email last week (which was never replied to) ... why is the Z06 intake used in the Vette-Air installation video on line (which is totally suited for your vent), and a small pic shows an LS2 with a Stinger (completely blocking this Vette-Air scoop)?
Old 08-11-2007, 12:49 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
I appreciate the response. But I saw the pics you attached on the website .

I would like to see a pic of one installed, because I don't see much value. It looks like it doesn't directly couple to the inlet ductwork.

Does it just "point" the air towards the air filter ?
Yes Mr. Speed, it shoot air into the filter. Please look at the thread posted by Mr. Modshack a couple days ago, he totally covered the whole installation process with comments and pictures. I'm pointing you in that direction because I believe it gives you a view from a total different individual.

Thanks,
Carlos

Get notified of new replies

To Jim Hall, what.......???

Old 08-11-2007, 01:03 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

One question (which you still haven't answered).... how do you force air from your Vette-Air unit into the SOLID RUBBER BASE of the Stinger type air filter????? It SITS DIRECTLY OVER THE RADIATOR SHROUD where you cut the hole for this vent! And as far as the intake being cooler.. I guess it would be due to air being forced against the bottom of the filter! If I put my foot over the air conditioning duct on the floor in my house it would be cold too! But it doesn't mean it's getting into the engine! The CAI forces air in on both sides, into the large surface area of the exposed air filter element. As I asked in my private email last week (which was never replied to) ... why is the Z06 intake used in the Vette-Air installation video on line (which is totally suited for your vent), and a small pic shows an LS2 with a Stinger (completely blocking this Vette-Air scoop)?
Ken,

I apologize if I did not answered your questions. I get over 30 emails a day and I may have overlooked yours, I doubt it, but it could happen.

Now, by looking at your plate positioning, this will NOT block air to the vette-air. Unlike the unit offered from the another company, the vette-air sits higher in the opening so your car gets air into the filter.

The Video was made over a year ago using a Z06 because the Z06 owner wanted his car filmed...no other special reason. If you like, I guess we can make a film using a LS2 corvette...the same concept applies!

Thanks,
Carlos

PS, we can sit here going back and forth about how something works or how it may not work...focus on the results (track, dyno and street), analyze THAT! Again, get a Tech II or HP tuners and measure your AIT readings, then come back to me with your results.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:18 PM
redline_ken
Racer

I bought that particular front license plate mounting bracket (which is adjustable up or down) because it would allow some air to penetrate directly into the center of the grille. Unlike most others, as you mentioned. I usually run 198 coolant temp with no problem. I was willing to add this Vette-Air scoop, in addition to my home-made cold air induction screen. But I just need to see an example of where this opening is in relation to the base of the Stinger air filter. And I wouldn't cut a hole in the rubber Stinger base, of course, because then it would be unfiltered air ramming in. I know it's a new product that you want to launch, but I honestly think that the Vararam would be the way to go in this case. It works on the same principal, but there's a filter in between.

Again, if anyone can show a close up of the Vette-Air scoop in relation to a Stinger or K&N type open filter set up, then we can make an decision. Otherwise it's just turbulence under the hood..
Old 08-11-2007, 06:11 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

I bought that particular front license plate mounting bracket (which is adjustable up or down) because it would allow some air to penetrate directly into the center of the grille. Unlike most others, as you mentioned. I usually run 198 coolant temp with no problem. I was willing to add this Vette-Air scoop, in addition to my home-made cold air induction screen. But I just need to see an example of where this opening is in relation to the base of the Stinger air filter. And I wouldn't cut a hole in the rubber Stinger base, of course, because then it would be unfiltered air ramming in. I know it's a new product that you want to launch, but I honestly think that the Vararam would be the way to go in this case. It works on the same principal, but there's a filter in between.

Again, if anyone can show a close up of the Vette-Air scoop in relation to a Stinger or K&N type open filter set up, then we can make an decision. Otherwise it's just turbulence under the hood..

Here is something that should help....

Thanks,
Carlos

Quick Reply: Jim Hall, what.......???