C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Door ajar replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:39 PM
aquablue96
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door ajar replacement

After a bath this weekend the blue beauty decided that the driver door is ajar even when it isnt. Tried a few things to adjust it but thinking i just need a new switch. Is the switch something you can just unplug and replace or does the door panel have to come off?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:45 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

You have to remove the entire door panel assembly on my '92. Easy from there, though. Plug-n-play. They run about $20 or less at most dealers.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:47 PM
aquablue96
Pro

A little worried about removing door panel, every other vehicle i have ever owner once the door panel is off never quite fits right again, rattles etc. Suggestions to make sure it is done right? Also, seems the PO drilled out the holes the switch (button) was in and now it has screws that are just too big, thinking that is part of the reason button doesnt depress all the way. Can this be fixed?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:57 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by aquablue96
A little worried about removing door panel, every other vehicle i have ever owner once the door panel is off never quite fits right again, rattles etc. Suggestions to make sure it is done right? Also, seems the PO drilled out the holes the switch (button) was in and now it has screws that are just too big, thinking that is part of the reason button doesnt depress all the way. Can this be fixed?
A healthy door ajar switch will have the metal nipple sticking all the way out. They gradually wear down to the point they don't contact properly and replacement is your only option.

Before removing the door panel, the best advice I can give you is to remove the panel carefully and order the Screw & Nylon Insert Kit for door panels from Mid-America Motoworks (MAM).

The inserts tend to break when you uncrew them from age and fatigue and it's all too easy to loose those black, metal screws. It's $9.99 plus shipping.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette?frame=1.967
Old 08-06-2007, 02:59 PM
aquablue96
Pro

Great advice, thanks cant seem to find a screw and nylon kit for a 96? Think they made one?

Is there a way to disable the door ajar light, interior lights etc until i can replace it? Makes it a pain to drive this way!

Last edited by aquablue96; 08-06-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:28 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced the door ajar switch on my 95 without removing the door panel. You have to be careful. Tighten the bottom screw just a bit to make sure it is tight. I then removed the top screw. You will need to have something (closehanger bent just right) to hold the plate on the back side/ inside of the door. There is a plate on the back side that will fall if your not just right with it.

Give it a try, if the plate falls just take the door panel off and do it that way.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:30 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Is there a way to disable the door ajar light, interior lights etc until i can replace it? Makes it a pain to drive this way!
You can bypass this switch, but you have to get to the connector inside the door. I'm not sure just disconnecting will make the lights go out, but I don't think it will.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Try this

Lower screw..replace with a longer screw started into retainer to hold retaining plate in place.

Remove upper screw.

Pull switch outward & rotate to expose upper screw hole.

Reinstall upper screw to hold retainer.

Remove lower screw.

Pull switch outward & depress harness lock tab to allow passage of switch & harness thru opening.

Switch from harness.

Install or connect.........

Switch to harness.

Switch & harness into door.

Long screw thru switch & lower door screw hole into retainer.

Remove upper screw.

Rotate switch & install upper screw thru switch into retainer..

Remove lower screw & replacw with original.

Switch will adjust the first time you close the door.. Be firm, but donot slam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Red Dwarf; 08-06-2007 at 09:09 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-06-2007, 05:19 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Sounds like a better idea than mine.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:23 PM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onedef92
Before removing the door panel, the best advice I can give you is to remove the panel carefully and order the Screw & Nylon Insert Kit for door panels from Mid-America Motoworks (MAM).

The inserts tend to break when you uncrew them from age and fatigue and it's all too easy to loose those black, metal screws. It's $9.99 plus shipping.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette?frame=1.967
This is probably the best advice in this thread so far.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:35 PM
wmupaprmkr
Cool Hand Luke of W MI
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 176 Likes on 125 Posts

I think teh first time I did mine on my 92 the inside of the plug fell back into the door panel so i ended up having to take teh panel off. It went back together just fine.
Good luck!
Old 08-06-2007, 05:39 PM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a gap at the top of BOTH my panels now. In the spot where the always dreaded "flap" occurs. All the ribs in my doors are perfect too, so I don't know what the problem is.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:37 PM
aquablue96
Pro

And what if there is no retaining clip ? I took out the one oversized screw that was holding the button in place and there is nothing behind it?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:44 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Great advice, thanks cant seem to find a screw and nylon kit for a 96? Think they made one?

I would call first to be sure.

I think if you pull the COURTESY fuse in your fuse box (located on passenger side of dash) it will disable the door ajar switches.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:48 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by RRT vette
I replaced the door ajar switch on my 95 without removing the door panel. You have to be careful. Tighten the bottom screw just a bit to make sure it is tight. I then removed the top screw. You will need to have something (closehanger bent just right) to hold the plate on the back side/ inside of the door. There is a plate on the back side that will fall if your not just right with it.

Give it a try, if the plate falls just take the door panel off and do it that way.
The 95 switches are different that the 92 ones. They have a different style connector and are longer, too, if memory serves.

Still, your technique sounds good and I will try it next time I have to replace my door ajar switch. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Door ajar replacement

Quick Reply: Door ajar replacement