C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 Shifter knob replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:13 AM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A4 Shifter **** replacement??

Anyone know of a replacement shifter **** for the A4? The stock one is pretty dated looking ...
Old 08-04-2007, 02:43 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 08-04-2007, 03:19 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tjfontaine
Anyone know of a replacement shifter **** for the A4? The stock one is pretty dated looking ...
Its only 3 years old.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:15 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

It looks like a C-5 replacement **** will fit the A-4.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Radical05
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default A4 ****

Go to the below link and you will see info on the A4. Post #8 and 10 are mine as no there really are not any vendors that sell a direct replacement ****, so I figured it on my own cause I did not like that square thing.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1749141
Old 08-04-2007, 11:32 AM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Radical - that is very cool - you and I are on the same page - The old **** is so dated looking ... that Momo you modded is JUST the ticket ... so, would you be willing to share more with us ...

1. Where you got it?
2. How you modified it to work?
3. How you installed it?

A lot to ask but I think I am not the only 05 A4 owner out there that would like to see this old square **** go
Old 08-04-2007, 11:45 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I was happy with the stock **** until I saw the Momo! Now you've put me in mod mode again.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Radical05
Drifting

The square looking **** on the 2005 A4 comes off like this;

-Look in front and you will see a small slit in the leather ****
-Using a very small flat screw driver or scribe pull out the 'u' shaped spring pin
-The **** will just come off now
-Getting the boot off is a different animal and need to be careful
-You need to put the car in neutral and remove the console. Has to be in neutral so the console will come off
-There is a thread in the forum also that shows how the console comes off and it is far easier than you think.
-The boot goes around the oval shift area and is held in by a tight elastic band. It will pull off easy working around the area
-NOTE-be careful not to mess up the 2 micro switches that are under the boot right in front of the shifter base. Been there and did that and my micro switch lever came off preventing me from moving the shifter at all. Had to look a bit to figure out what way it goes back on as it popped off before I saw it and can go on either way
-At the boot top there is a tiny zip tie that holds the top boot to the plastic piece that slides in the shaft slot so it is positioned correct to mate up with the ****. That has to be removed so the boot can be tucked inside itself to make that area slightly larger to fit over the bottom of the Momo **** threads
-The area where you see DRN123 for the gears pops off by pulling it straight up but the red indicator has to be removed from the shifter shaft first
-All that will slide up now
-Note-you can't use the chrome lower screw on piece that comes with the Momo because the ID is too small to fit over the shift shaft
-Because the Momo is secured with 3 set screws and the shift shaft is hollow with a slit at the top it needs support or will bend in when tightening the Momo on
-A nylon piece about an inch long ID .200-.225 and OD .375 witl snugly slid in there allowing the shift rod to move up and down and support the hollow shaft to tighten the Momo on. I found this out when I first installed the Momo and tightened it and slightly bent the shaft tube impacting the rod movement. The nylon pushed it back to normal. Odd as it may sound a nylon toilet supply tube has the exact diameters and plenty there if you cut it too short or long. Lowes may have nylon in the bin drawers but not sure on sizes
-Just position the Momo so the shaft rod just barely touches the underside of the Momo button and get the set screws aligned so the Momo on the button is straight and the screws all contact the shift shaft area. The one by 1 'o' clock will be close to the slit opening. Just evenly tighten and you are done there
-I left my boot alone but I hear Down South can make a boot for you as that whole area and getting it off was a pain. Also it will be a tight fit if using leather as you will see when you get in there
-All I did is zip tie with a low rise type zip tie on the bottom of my shift **** and looks fine. Unless you are looking for it you would not know it's there. Maybe a better way to secure it but not worried about it for now
-Maybe someday when I'm bored I will see about boring the chrome screw on piece ID out (most likely have to re-chrome it) and install it. If that was done it would be perfect and not sure is re-chrome really required if a good machinist did it
-The Momo auto ***** are the only ones I saw (black is better) for our A4 cars. It really is easy once you have the above info as I had to figure it out myself. Mine has been there with no issues for about a year and most think that is how the Vette came (non vette owners)
-Below are 2 different angles of the install
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...6/DSC03136.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...6/DSC03135.jpg
Old 08-05-2007, 09:13 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Thanks a bunch for doing this Radical! (thanks for the PMs too ...)

PS - where did you buy the Momo from??

Last edited by tjfontaine; 08-05-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Radical05
Drifting

I think I just went on line to Momo but don't remember. I know other vendors sell it just search for Momo Auto Shift ****. It's really pretty easy knowing the install now. Like I said I would like to see about boring out the lower piece for future install but will have to see on cost.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:46 PM
mrtoner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Radical05
The square looking **** on the 2005 A4 comes off like this;

-Look in front and you will see a small slit in the leather ****
-Using a very small flat screw driver or scribe pull out the 'u' shaped spring pin
-The **** will just come off now.

Radical05 - I see the slit in the leather ****, but I do not see what/where to pry on to remove the spring pin

Any clues/hints/pics appreciated

thanks

WAIT - got it! Really had to dig around the slot to get the screwdriver in, but came out clean - thanks

Last edited by mrtoner; 10-23-2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: problem solved

Get notified of new replies

To A4 Shifter knob replacement??

Quick Reply: A4 Shifter knob replacement??