C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Floor

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 07:06 PM
c6vetteowner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage Floor

I am moving into a new house next week. I want to seal the garage floor. My local home improvement center carries Rust-oleum Epoxy Shield. It does't sound like a bad way to go. I was planning on adding the anti slip grit to so its not slick when its wet. I can do a 3 car garage for less than $ 200. Anybody use this stuff or something similar ? Thoughts on the subject ?
Old 07-29-2007, 07:18 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'm sure it's worked for many (and there's even more expensive stuff from ucoatit.com; you may even want to read up on the methods to do it at that site, and griot's website).

But I've heard enough stories about people doing it just right per the instructions and having it lift up from hot tire/wheel, or whatever it's called afterwards. Maybe it is best used on brand new poured concrete. I'd be too ticked if it happened that way.

I do know that a friend is going to use paint/sealer on his brand new garage floor instead of risking it lifting off by using the epoxy. I'm in the process of cleaning my 10 year old floor, and then using clear sealer from Quikrete.

Good luck with it.

Edit: forget the stuff from Quikrete. the only one available from major home improvement store is no good for garage floors and not recommended for any indoor usage by Quikrete techs.

Last edited by AORoads; 08-04-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:23 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

I know its a good deal more pricey, but you might think of using the tile from race deck. I have seen the paint you are talking about and assuming it lasts, it should look okay, but the racedeck will not get ruined over time.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:36 PM
livy
Advanced

That is the exact stuff I painted on my older garage floor. I first washed it down, next used muratic acid in water on it and hosed it down good. When dry used 3 coats of Rust-oleum Epoxy Shield. Looked good for a while no tire burn, but it is now coming off it spots. I guess I will have to give it another coat or two.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:45 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 238 Posts

I'd heard too many stories about the do-it-yourself applications peeling under hot tires or time out here- - I wanted a coating that carried a warranty so I went commercial.

They followed pretty much the same process outlined in the post above - -power-wash, acid etch, multiple coats of 2 part sealer (and sprinkles). it turned out well - -has been durable and the only issue I've had was over-cooking a battery charge that caused some staining/erosion. The company recoated the area at no charge.

The biggest inconvenience was having the stuff out of the garage for nearly a week while the surface "cured".... cost was about $1.50 sq ft.

Regards-
Old 07-29-2007, 07:54 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I do not know what part of the country to live in. In Wisconsin, we have to be careful due to moisture and salt.

From what I have read and folks I have spoken to, the epoxy even with the stuff thown on top is still has a tendency to get slippery. I am staying away from that one.

The Race Deck I am certain would be an excellent choice however it is too expensive for my size garage.

My concrete contractor has recommended a stain for the floor. One of the other respondents mentioned the name. That seems to be the way I may go. Still will take two days for the application.

Good luck and keep us posted. What you do may have an influence on what I do.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:55 PM
BOB PROCTER
Instructor

Default Don't Do It!

If you are going to Epoxy Paint you better investigate it as much as you can. If you use a one part Epoxy your chances are good that it will start coming up in spots. The best Epoxy Paint will be a commercial grade 2 part Epoxy, like the dealerships use. It is a must to acid wash the floor and rinse it like they are saying, but you better be sure it is completely dry before you put the Epoxy down. This can take as long as a week to be safe. If there is any moisture in it when you apply the Epoxy it will gas and bubble and pit and it is a mess.

There are a couple of alternatives, us a vinyl tile and you can get very creative with the colors and patterns or you can use a commercial buffer with a fine scotch pad and use water and carbon fine grit and polish the concrete, then use a clear sealer and that looks good. Another thing to consider is a stain, there are some new stains out that Home Depot has now that look interesting.

Be careful, you could regret it if you use the wrong thing. Don't skimp, or you will be sorry.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:55 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

CQ, that's actually not a bad price at all for a quality, commerically-done finish. Thanks for the info!

Note: Altho still not inexpensive, I notice that Costco's selling some kind of square tile flooring for 90 per bundle. Per their website, a typical 2 car gar. requires about 8 bundles. That's a buncha money but it's all done.

Last edited by AORoads; 07-29-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:03 PM
vettematic
Advanced

Originally Posted by c6vetteowner
I am moving into a new house next week. I want to seal the garage floor. My local home improvement center carries Rust-oleum Epoxy Shield. It does't sound like a bad way to go. I was planning on adding the anti slip grit to so its not slick when its wet. I can do a 3 car garage for less than $ 200. Anybody use this stuff or something similar ? Thoughts on the subject ?

I used the exact same thing on my two car garage over 4.5 years ago and no problem. I highly recommend the product. Mine is still good and no peeling after 4.5 years in AZ weather, my garage is uninsulated. Make sure to prep your floor properly and allow it to dry, just follow the instruction to the letter.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Monterrey Bill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Racedeck
Old 07-29-2007, 08:33 PM
1500cc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I was looking into doing something with my garage floor a while ago. It seemed that none of the alternative were without drawbacks

- Some said that with Racedeck tiles, they had problems with water getting underneath the tiles and then going mouldy and smelly.
- You could use the vinyl tiles, but they could pull up too, and besides, I didn't want my garage looking like the produce section at the A&P.
- And all DIY coatings seemed to be a crapshoot. Commercially done ones apparently did okay, but at about $3k for my two-car garage, definitely not worth it.

In the end I just decided to leave it as bare concrete.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:39 PM
C7cmnthru
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

UCoatIT worked for me. 3.5 years and no lifting. Prep is the key and I think it actually works better on newly poured floors (my garage was new construction.). I did not put anything in it fro traction and it is real slippery when wet. Bought some used commercial carpet runners at the local flea market to put around the main traffic areas. Although it doesn't lift, it does show marks
Old 07-29-2007, 08:40 PM
BigJag
Pro

[QUOTE=1500cc;1561277317]
- Some said that with Racedeck tiles, they had problems with water getting underneath the tiles and then going mouldy and smelly. /QUOTE]

Whoever said that is full of crap. Probably somebody who never had racedeck. Have it in both my garages (1300 square feet in total) and no problems. And one of the garages is for the daily drivers which in the winter bring in salt and also have snow melting off them onto the floor. No problems with mold, smell or anything else. Great product and highly recommend.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Bryanwithy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we used an epoxy covering for our new 6000 sf garage. we hired a painter to do it because i am just plain lazy sometimes. We bought it from one of the major paint vendors not a home store and have had it on for over a year with no problems. it was a 3 part process, clean as noted above (water, acid), then paint the colors (2 coats) and then epoxy (2 coats) have not had any problems. i believe it was dunn edwards or something like that. i will find the info and repost.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:41 PM
MaxOctane
Racer

Sherwin Williams makes a good industrial epoxy called Tile Clad. It's good stuff, will last a long time, and is higher quality than what you can get at Home Depot. Is it as good as race deck? Heck no, but its about as good as your gonna get when it comes to epoxy. It is pricier though and I think you're supposed to use two coats. If you do it yourself, be sure to follow all directions.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Arthur6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Rust-oleum Epoxy Shield on my floor.
Concrete was about 3 yrs old - I had spilled oil all over the floor many times in the past. Did a good cleaning as per the Rust-oleum Epoxy Shield instructions. Floor look GREAT for the seven years I lived there, no lifting at all, looked as new from day one. I parked three cars in the garage every night.
I didn’t put any “grit” down, I feel it’s easier to clean/squeegee off, but it is slippery when wet.
I used two boxes/kits (4 gallons) for my 3 car garage.
My 2¢
Old 07-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Monterrey Bill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

[QUOTE=BigJag;1561277417]
Originally Posted by 1500cc
- Some said that with Racedeck tiles, they had problems with water getting underneath the tiles and then going mouldy and smelly. /QUOTE]

Whoever said that is full of crap. Probably somebody who never had racedeck. Have it in both my garages (1300 square feet in total) and no problems. And one of the garages is for the daily drivers which in the winter bring in salt and also have snow melting off them onto the floor. No problems with mold, smell or anything else. Great product and highly recommend.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage Floor

Old 07-29-2007, 09:59 PM
c6vetteowner
Burning Brakes

It is a 2 part Epoxy, It will have road salt dripping on it as i live in Indiana. I do not want it slippery.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:10 PM
c6vetteowner
Burning Brakes

What the cost of RaceDeck Tile ? Is it slippery when wet ? Do spills such as oil wipe right up ?
Old 07-29-2007, 10:13 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think forum vendor pipedreams sells it on his website and may even be running a sale????

Quick Reply: Garage Floor