Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] stickers in the air intake caused problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Smok
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stickers in the air intake caused problem

Hi everybody. I would like to add my experience to the total knowledge of the group, so that next ones could find it useful just like I just did.
Yesterday after an hour of rather hard driving my car I noticed reduction in power. At the beginning small but then things were getting worse and worse. Finally the engine shut down. I menaged to start it and return home. After the return I calculated everything and started to get used to the situation that my car will stay at the service for long weeks while the spare parts will be travelling from US to Poland
But in meantime I mailed Ranger and he showed me the thread about the stickers in the air intake. After 10 minutes of reading and ten minutes of fixing the problem dissapeared and the car seems to be OK now.
So at this moment I would like to thank Ranger for help and the whole group for such a useful source of knowledge.
Unfortunately, the problem isn't solved for 100% for the moment because one corner of the sticker ( 1 inch x 1 inch) was relaeased (not too good word) and I couldn't find this missing piece. So perhaps it is somewhere further and could cause problem in the future...(car is at the service now to find it)
My conclussion is that since there is a possibility of breaking this sticker into smaller pieces which could get deeper inside the intake system it is better to remove the stickers before just in case
Adam
Old 07-12-2007, 07:21 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Glad you identified the issue. Sorry about the missing piece of sticker.

I suspect your dealer will contact GM for guidance. Let us know what advice is received for dealing with the missing piece.

Which sticker was the problem, top or bottom?

Ranger
Old 07-12-2007, 08:07 AM
abb1426
Advanced

I replaced my stock intake with the K&N air intake.

So this should not be an issue, correct?

Can anybody advise?

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by abb1426
I replaced my stock intake with the K&N air intake.

So this should not be an issue, correct?

Can anybody advise?

Thanks.
If you replaced the stock air bridge shown in the First Picture of This Short-Throw Post, which contained the oft-offending stickers, then they are gone.

Ranger
Old 07-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Smok
Advanced

As far as I remember, the lower sticker caused the problem. Service guys checked the intake and didn't find the missing part. Next step would be to look into the engine but they say it makes no sense since it doesn't make the trouble. They think it could just got burned inside, if I understood them well
They sent a description of the case to the GM perhaps they will receive some suggestion from them.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^ Thanks, smok. Good luck with it.

Ranger
Old 07-12-2007, 12:25 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Smok
As far as I remember, the lower sticker caused the problem. Service guys checked the intake and didn't find the missing part. Next step would be to look into the engine but they say it makes no sense since it doesn't make the trouble. They think it could just got burned inside, if I understood them well
They sent a description of the case to the GM perhaps they will receive some suggestion from them.
The GM theory is that the pad will just disappear if it gets to the other side of the throttle body. I'm not necessarily endorsing that view, just reporting it. Thus, I believe that if they can't find the pad (or pieces of the pad) by inspecting the throttle body, that's the end of the search, unless the customer is willing to pay to have the manifold, etc., removed (cost covered under warranty if the piece is actually found). My advice is to make sure you have an extended warranty, and then forget about it.

BTW the problem was caused by having too much oil in the engine when you were driving hard. NEVER let the oil level get past the center hole in the dipstick, measured per the owners manual.

Last edited by allanlaw; 07-12-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Smok
Advanced

Originally Posted by allanlaw
The GM theory is that the pad will just disappear if it gets to the other side of the throttle body. I'm not necessarily endorsing that view, just reporting it. Thus, I believe that if they can't find the pad (or pieces of the pad) by inspecting the throttle body, that's the end of the search, unless the customer is willing to pay to have the manifold, etc., removed (cost covered under warranty if the piece is actually found). My advice is to make sure you have an extended warranty, and then forget about it.

BTW the problem was caused by having too much oil in the engine when you were driving hard. NEVER let the oil level get past the center hole in the dipstick, measured per the owners manual.
Honestly I was surprised how much oil was spred inside the snorkel. Alhough the check a few days ago indicated the oil level in the middle of the range :/

After you informed me about the GM's attitude about the missing piece I'm not going to investigate any more. Especially that I suppose that the stock intake won't last for too long in my car..
Old 07-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, Allanlaw,

I guess the question becomes whether (an extended) GM Protection Plan (GMPP) coverage is available in Poland, smok's home.

http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/

Quick look thru the site revealed no ref to non-USA. Probably need to call to resolve it.

Ranger
Old 07-12-2007, 01:16 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ranger
Thanks, Allanlaw,

I guess the question becomes whether (an extended) GM Protection Plan (GMPP) coverage is available in Poland, smok's home.
Didn't catch that detail. I don't know the answer.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:18 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Honestly I was surprised how much oil was spred inside the snorkel. Alhough the check a few days ago indicated the oil level in the middle of the range :/
Remember, you have to check the oil level after the engine has been heated up pretty good, then left to sit for 5 minutes. If you check the level cold, it reads a lot lower than it really is.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
If you replaced the stock air bridge shown in the First Picture of This Short-Throw Post, which contained the oft-offending stickers, then they are gone.

Ranger
Thanks Ranger!

Seems like it was just yesterday!

I still have the same snorkel on with the one remaining high patch and she's been running fine now.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Smok
Advanced

Originally Posted by allanlaw
Remember, you have to check the oil level after the engine has been heated up pretty good, then left to sit for 5 minutes. If you check the level cold, it reads a lot lower than it really is.
I would say I was following the procedure described in the owners manual but the oil inside the snorkel suggests I should check it once again..
By the way, if infected with the oil or dirt should I replace the air filter?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

By the way, if infected with the oil or dirt should I replace the air filter?
Yes,

I replaced mine right after it happened. There should be no charge for this.

Mike
Old 07-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Chevtech
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SES Light On Or Oil Found In Air Intake - keywords absorber board card consumption crankcase duct hesitate leak level low mode pad patch PCV reducedpwrmde reduced power SES snorkel service #PIP3786A - (05/08/2007)

Models: 2006-2007 Chevrolet Corvette

Equipped with the 7.0 LS7 engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update model years and Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIP3786.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A dealer technician may find trouble codes P0101, P0172, P0175, oil in the air cleaner, or a loose hydrocarbon patch in the air intake snorkel.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If the dealer has found the P0101, P0172, P0175, oil in the air cleaner, or a loose hydrocarbon patch in the air intake snorkel, complete the diagnostic suggestions below.

Please see bulletin number 05-06-01-032, and follow the owner's manual for proper engine oil filling procedures.
Inspect the foul air PCV tube for restrictions or obstructions. The foul PCV tube is a short formed rubber hose that is located between the fitting on the valley cover and the fitting on the plenum side of the throttle body.
Inspect the fitting on the engine block valley cover, there is a 2.5 m/m orifice in the valley cover fitting, and it should be clean and clear of obstructions.
Inspect the semi-fresh air PCV tube for restrictions or obstructions. The semi-fresh PCV tube is located between the rocker covers and the rear fitting of the oil tank.
Inspect the fresh air PCV tube for restrictions or obstructions. The fresh PCV tube is the located between the fitting on the clean air duct (atmospheric side of the throttle body after the mass airflow sensor) and the front fitting of the oil tank.
Note: Make sure the semi-fresh and fresh pcv tubes are installed correctly on the oil tank. The fresh PCV tube is attached to the front port of the oil tank, and the semi-fresh tube is attached to the rear port of the oil tank.

Improper oil levels or PCV restrictions could cause excess oil to be forced into the engine air intake snorkel. If this occurs, it can contaminate the adhesive that attaches the hydrocarbon patch to the snorkel. This may cause the patch to become detached and restrict air flow.

Clean any excessive oil from the air intake and replace the air intake snorkel if necessary.

Get notified of new replies

To stickers in the air intake caused problem

Quick Reply: [Z06] stickers in the air intake caused problem