C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Buy new seatbelts or restore old?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Mikey65
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Buy new seatbelts or restore old?

I got a quote from Snakeoyl to restore my seatbelts for about $500 Most vette places sell repo seatbelts with proper tags for $350. Is there any advantage to restoring rather that buying? If the repos come with dated tags can you tell the difference? I would never throw the orig ones away or anything, but $500 seems like a lot.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:13 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 268 Posts

I would call Charlie at Seatbelt Sity do a search on the NCRS Board on Snake Oyl for some good horror stories.

Tom M
Old 07-11-2007, 12:01 AM
project63
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Didn't mention the year of car, but for anything in the C1 and C2 vintage, the seat belt webbing used on the repos is noticeably thinner. This is driven by the use of modern materials and liability issues. Not that the old webbing, is "dangerous" but the newer webbing is some degree stronger. Strong enough to really matter isn't an concern of a ambulance chasing litigation shark. So those producing new belts cover their tails and use the latest and greatest material.

If you aren't worried about judging points, this isn't a big deal. If you plan to show your car, you will lose points so using the original style webbing is the prefered option.

If your webbing isn't frayed or cut, it can be redyed to match the factory color. Charlie @ Seatbelt Sity has the means to restore your original belts to maximize your score. Give him a call. He may not be cheaper, but I think you will be happier with the result.

tc
Old 07-11-2007, 06:51 PM
stall
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-11-2007, 07:30 PM
beto
Racer

I asked Snakeoyl if they sold refurbished seat belts (without a core). My cars came without seat belts.....

Here is the response.....

"The 58 Corvette would run $500 each for the seat belts ($1000) for the pair. The 1965 would run about $310 each ($620) for the pair."

At these prices I am considering going into the seat belt business myself...

I am going to see what I can find @ Carlisle

Last edited by beto; 07-11-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:59 AM
a560156
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom McCabe
I would call Charlie at Seatbelt Sity do a search on the NCRS Board on Snake Oyl for some good horror stories.

Tom M

Skake Oyl will replace your original webbing with repo belts. Beware.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

There is a source in your State. Might save a few $s on shipping.

http://www.corvetteusa.com/catalog/p...050f6f714f62fc
Old 07-14-2007, 02:15 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Those quoted prices for repro seat belts are shocking. I'm glad I kept the buckles, etc. from my 67 when I installed inertial-reel lap/shoulder belts. FWIW about 15 years ago I wanted to replace the factory seat belt/shoulder harness webbing in the 67 coupe and convertible I had at the time. The coupe interior was black and the convertible saddle tan. I found the EXACT belt pattern in the EXACT colors in the EXACT width with the EXACT thickness at a parachute company near the Oakland (Calif.) airport. Evidently Chevy used a standard parachute belt for their seat belts in 67. With the popularity of sky diving, etc. these days I'll bet there is a wide variety of webbing available. I wold look long and hard for the right material before paying the usual a-SSholes a ridiculous sum for such a simple thing. My $0.02.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default If they're not frayed or torn, just clean em up!

Originally Posted by mikeyandem1
I got a quote from Snakeoyl to restore my seatbelts for about $500 Most vette places sell repo seatbelts with proper tags for $350. Is there any advantage to restoring rather that buying? If the repos come with dated tags can you tell the difference? I would never throw the orig ones away or anything, but $500 seems like a lot.
What condition and color are your belts? My 65 and 69 both had the original belts which were black but they were extremely dirtly. I took them out and washed em in woolite and hung them in the sun to dry. They came out looking great. Dark colors will come out better in case they have stains in them. Just be careful around the labels if they are still there.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:11 PM
rick F.
6th Gear

call mike at america's finest he knows what he is talking about and can do it right
Old 07-18-2007, 07:23 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 268 Posts

Louie, did they say Irving Air Chute

Tom M

Originally Posted by LouieM
Those quoted prices for repro seat belts are shocking. I'm glad I kept the buckles, etc. from my 67 when I installed inertial-reel lap/shoulder belts. FWIW about 15 years ago I wanted to replace the factory seat belt/shoulder harness webbing in the 67 coupe and convertible I had at the time. The coupe interior was black and the convertible saddle tan. I found the EXACT belt pattern in the EXACT colors in the EXACT width with the EXACT thickness at a parachute company near the Oakland (Calif.) airport. Evidently Chevy used a standard parachute belt for their seat belts in 67. With the popularity of sky diving, etc. these days I'll bet there is a wide variety of webbing available. I wold look long and hard for the right material before paying the usual a-SSholes a ridiculous sum for such a simple thing. My $0.02.

Get notified of new replies

To Buy new seatbelts or restore old?

Quick Reply: Buy new seatbelts or restore old?