Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

got booted off track!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:56 AM
Jeenis
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default got booted off track!

hell ya!! this was my best run to date. only did 2 runs tonight, temp 82, humidity unbearable, at Texas Motorplex in Ennis
60' - 1.73
1/4 - 11.249 at 123

oh ya, car is 07 Z06, mods are CAI, LG headers, Borla exhaust, tune, on BFG DR's
i took my brand new high def digital camcorder (that i bought specifically for videoing my drag racing), and my friend recorded my first run (11.7) and then noticed after recording my best run.. that he forgot to turn it on record (i did save the strip, of course, but can't add attachments for some reason)

Last edited by Jeenis; 07-07-2007 at 02:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why the boot?

I thought that did not start until 10:99 unless they want safety hoops on the half shafts.

Anyway congrats on the times and it sounds like you had some fun. To me that sounds like a pretty good 60' for not using real slicks. Kinda surprised you were not overall lower with that good start but someone with some knowledge could probably explain why.

Doug
Old 07-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice pass, Jeenis.

Originally Posted by Shurshot
Why the boot? I thought that did not start until 10:99 unless they want safety hoops on the half shafts....
11.50 is the lower limit for cars without a rollbar. True for both NHRA and IHRA.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 07-07-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:29 AM
0euro@EFIAlchemy.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shurshot
Why the boot?

I thought that did not start until 10:99 unless they want safety hoops on the half shafts.

Anyway congrats on the times and it sounds like you had some fun. To me that sounds like a pretty good 60' for not using real slicks. Kinda surprised you were not overall lower with that good start but someone with some knowledge could probably explain why.

Doug
11.49 requires a roll bar
Old 07-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Thanks for that correction guys

I have only 1/8 tracks around me

Is there a similar ruling for them? I have not been on a track for 30 years and back then those were pretty much unheard of times for a street car. I do hope to get on the track relatively soon though..... if a certain machine shop picks up the pace a tad.

Hmmm sounds like getting the boot is a status symbol these days....... almost like being sent to the principles office was way back then

Doug
Old 07-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

About 20 C6Z owners, who race their daily driven cars and don't want to cut them up for a rollbar, wrote separate letters to the NRHA rules committee seeking review of the 11.50 limit for stock cars.

The NRHA didn't extend the courtesy of a reply to any of us.

As more owners accumulate seat time making passes in the C6Z, more and more will get booted from tracks around the country. NHRA needs to revise the rules so that owner of these cars have an alternative to the street for racing.

Ranger
Old 07-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ranger
As more owners accumulate seat time making passes in the C6Z, more and more will get booted from tracks around the country. NHRA needs to revise the rules so that owner of these cars have an alternative to the street for racing.

Ranger
Amen to that

It is not just the C6Z crowd though. With the amount of re-powered cars with todays technology drag performance starts at 11:99 (IMHO). I have a street midyear that I expect to go 10's rather easily and for sure I am not cutting it up.

I can see the need for the half shaft requirements as none of the older IS cars are safe with HO motors combined with todays tires.

To bad about that 11.50 #

To bad they did not have the courtesy to reply

Being rude does not work
Old 07-07-2007, 10:40 AM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

About 20 C6Z owners, who race their daily driven cars and don't want to cut them up for a rollbar, wrote separate letters to the NRHA rules committee seeking review of the 11.50 limit for stock cars.

The NRHA didn't extend the courtesy of a reply to any of us.

Ranger
Ok, not to be a bummer, but all of you guys knew the 11.50 rule when you bought your cars.......why should the NHRA change their rules just because of the Z06 ?? All of those safety rules are there for a reason. If you want to go 11's then buy a car that is legal to go 11's in. I used to get kicked off tracks in my 69 because it would run 11's. Instead of putting a roll bar in it I bought a race car...now I have more safety rules than ever I have to abide by, that is the rules of the game.

You have to look at it from the NHRA's perspective also, they want guys to take their cars to the track and safely have fun. As cars get faster there is a lot more to racing than just stomping on the gas pedal. One of the reasons for the safety E.T. requirements is it forces guys to take the sport more seriously; it helps avoid the guy who has never driven a fast car showing up with a car that is too much for him to handle and he gets hurt, or hurts others.

The Z06 is a killer ride, but if you want to go deep into the 11's with it put a cage in it.

Last edited by 69 N.O.X. RATT; 07-07-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^ I've not seen, heard of, or read about a fatality or serious injury at the drag strip by a true stock car. Plenty though by race cars that pass tech inspection.

NHRA lowered the 12.00 limit to 11.50 in fall 2004. Rule for stock cars needs downward revision again. C6Z is here. 08 Viper is coming. So is the Corvette SS.

Ranger
Old 07-07-2007, 11:17 AM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

This same issue impacts those of us that have C6's and have supercharged our cars. Mine has heads, cam, headers and a D1SC in addition to a RPS stage 4+ clutch, puts out 586rwhp.

The car ran a 11.1@124.3 and was told to leave the track. My car is my DD and I sure as h3ll am not going to put a rollcage and new seatbelts in it. I can just imagine what my wife would say

I fully understand the safety issues, but, cars coming off the assembly line are now so much safer than they were a few years ago.

Maybe it is time for the NHRA/IHRA to re-examine the breakpoint.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 69 N.O.X. RATT
..... all of you guys knew the 11.50 rule when you bought your cars.......why should the NHRA change their rules just because of the Z06 ??

..... take your car to THEIR-track, then you are agreeing to abide by THEIR safety-rules, too:
those rules are in-place to protect the Track Operator from less-than-intelligent guys with fast cars (wasn't a there an accident last-year at Bowling Green, involving a quick Corvette, where the driver wasn't wearing the proper safety-equipment, although he was a racer with 20+ years experience? ), AND the less-than-intelligent guys with fast-cars, too.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

If the NHRA and IHRA won't accommodate fast factory stock cars, then owners will take it to the streets.

Same voices and arguments were heard when the notion was relaxing the 12.00. There's been no adverse safety impact from the change to 11.50. Nor would there be any for dropping it to 11.00.

The bigger real-world safety issue is for Corvette owners with rollbars operating the cars on the street without driver and passenger wearing helmets. Lot more risk of accident on the street than the drag strip.

Ranger
Old 07-07-2007, 12:11 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If the NHRA and IHRA won't accommodate fast factory stock cars, then owners will take it to the streets.

Same voices and arguments were heard when the notion was relaxing the 12.00. There's been no adverse safety impact from the change to 11.50. Nor would there be any for dropping it to 11.00.

The bigger real-world safety issue is for Corvette owners with rollbars operating the cars on the street without driver and passenger wearing helmets. Lot more risk of accident on the street than the drag strip.

Ranger
I get your point, and if the NHRA wants to look at the issue then that is there perogitive (sp?) but to basically demand, or threaten street racing, that they change their rules because a handful of cars will go faster than what the NHRA considers safe, is in my opinion out of line.

I am fighting a similar thing with my race car now. I have a full tube chassis race car, paid over 20,000 for just the roller. It is a mild steel chassis and the new motor I am building will make the car much faster than the 7.50 cert it is legal to. For me to cert the car to go faster than that I have to have a chromolly cage. I would basically have to sell the car and get a new one to go that fast.....but that is the cost of racing and those rules have been in place for a long time.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 69 N.O.X. RATT
I get your point, and if the NHRA wants to look at the issue then that is there perogitive (sp?) but to basically demand, or threaten street racing, that they change their rules because a handful of cars will go faster than what the NHRA considers safe, is in my opinion out of line....
I'm not a street racer, but there are plenty of pure stock car owners who will race on the street if the drag strip venue is closed off. NHRA is sensitive to that point. Here is what their press release stated when the 12.00 rule was relaxed to 11.50....

Originally Posted by NHRA Press Release on the 11.50 Rule June 22, 2004
"With a growing emphasis by local law-enforcement agencies to reduce street racing, NHRA's street-legal program has been an effective tool in the fight against illegal street racing," explained NHRA President Tom Compton. "Not only has the NHRA street-legal program helped in the fight against illegal street racing, but at the grassroots level, it also allows anyone wishing to participate in NHRA Drag Racing the opportunity to do so.

"The new Pure Stock Street Legal rules are a very important element for all NHRA member tracks to help grow their street-legal programs and another example of how we will continue to listen to input from our member tracks and react to their needs."

Within the framework of the street-legal category, the following technical rules and regulations will apply for Pure Stock Street Legal vehicles that run 11.50 or slower. Pure Stock Street Legal rules are specifically intended for street-legal vehicles that are production stock, as manufactured and sold by the original automobile manufacturer.
Time for NHRA to adapt the rules again in light of the C6Z, the forthcoming Viper and the Corvette SS.

Ranger
Old 07-07-2007, 01:22 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

^^^
NHRA lowered the 12.00 limit to 11.50 in fall 2004. Rule for stock cars needs downward revision again. C6Z is here. 08 Viper is coming. So is the Corvette SS.

Ranger

I was heavily involved with NHRA rules committee and lobbied them hard to get the roll bar rule adjusted, and 11.50 was the best they would do. I know those rules have been in placed since the 60’s when the cars were slower and very unstable. I remember my first roll bar being nothing more than some bent pipes but it pass the rules for its day.
My biggest concern isn’t how fast the cars are getting but the driver who owns them. Most performance car owners are older and now have the money to fulfill a life long dream, but for some it is just too much car. I don’t know where the happy middle is with insurance and track liability being what it is. I don’t think there is a solution that will keep everyone happy and safe.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would assume that the NHRA/IHRA rules are based on the examination of some statistics or design information. Based on that assumption then a car is unsafe for the occupants whether strip racing or street racing at a certain performance level. The question then becomes what risk are you willing to assume. The NHRA/IHRA is just telling you that you will not assume excessive risk at their facilities. If you street race, you can assume the full risk and are obviously willing to do so for yourself and anyone else that may happen to be on that street.

I would think that it would take GM presenting information on upgraded structures might sway sanctioning bodies. Good luck on that happening. Another option might be to allow lower times at certain experience levels or driver training completion and with additional safety attire. This might comfort the sanctioning bodies feel that they still have some control and authority.

As brakes / antiskid, airbags, and structures improve, I would think there could be some room for a little flexibility on the part of the sanctioning bodies on stock late model vehicles.

Of course, I am just a dumb old country boy, so what do I know. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:24 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I'm not a street racer, but there are plenty of pure stock car owners who will race on the street if the drag strip venue is closed off. NHRA is sensitive to that point. Here is what their press release stated when the 12.00 rule was relaxed to 11.50....

Time for NHRA to adapt the rules again in light of the C6Z, the forthcoming Viper and the Corvette SS.

Ranger
To own the Corvette SS/ BLUE DEVEL you will be required to take a GM APPROVED driving course before taking delivery.

Get notified of new replies

To got booted off track!

Old 07-07-2007, 01:27 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Vogie
Of course, I am just a dumb old country boy, so what do I know. Good luck.
It sounds like you have the same qualifications as those at NHRA.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mackeyred96
...Most performance car owners are older and now have the money to fulfill a life long dream, but for some it is just too much car....
Just a small point.

So long as the cars in question remain manual-tranny machines, only skilled drivers will surpass the 11.50 mark. That takes techniques and an investment in seat time. Both contribute to improved driver skill.

Ranger
Old 07-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a small point.

So long as the cars in question remain manual-tranny machines, only skilled drivers will surpass the 11.50 mark. That takes techniques and an investment in seat time. Both contribute to improved driver skill.

Ranger
To a certain degree, I certainly agree, but one should remember that these sanctioning bodies are heavy into documentation of experience. That will require a license, a log book, or both. If you want frustration, try dealing with the ultimate sanctioning body - the FAA.

Quick Reply: got booted off track!