C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

I am so sick of ZR-1 Wanna Be's

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:48 AM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Default I am so sick of ZR-1 Wanna Be's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...QQcmdZViewItem

I just had to vent about all these folks that claim their C4s as ZR-1s. I guess the way to look at it is a compliment that they all wish they had a real one? I was in Texas last week and I saw a white 91 convertible with a mix of Greenwood ground effects and an aftermarket spoiler with ZR-1 emblems . Because so many folks don't know the difference, these clowns will tarnish the name.....especially if they get their **** smoked by a rice burner or otherwise. It has been a few years since I have vented about this subject. Unlike all the other cars that you can clone pretty easily, at least the ZR-1 takes way more than just emblems to truly clone.

I really believe that we will have something very special over the next 10 to 15 years plus if we can keep the parts avaialable for our unique Corvetttes.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:05 PM
SomeGuy
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, it is like a zr1, but without the worries of high priced spares, etc. that are attributed to the zr1's over a base car

Back in the early 1990's, Sanders on 90210 (a t.v. show at the time), claimed to have a zr1, it was not. Even when current, fakes were abound.

New C6 z06 guys are "victims" of the same thing, as "widebody" flared fenders are easier than ever as a popular "bolt-on"
Old 07-04-2007, 09:29 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

That's gotta be one FASST vette. Maybe throwing the ZR-1 name in there should be taken as a compliment.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:30 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SomeGuy
Hey, it is like a zr1, but without the worries of high priced spares, etc. that are attributed to the zr1's over a base car

Back in the early 1990's, Sanders on 90210 (a t.v. show at the time), claimed to have a zr1, it was not. Even when current, fakes were abound.

New C6 z06 guys are "victims" of the same thing, as "widebody" flared fenders are easier than ever as a popular "bolt-on"
Like the fake Hemi 'Cuda that Nash Bridges used on the series.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:40 PM
vettelover555
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

freaking sanders

Originally Posted by SomeGuy

Old 07-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't take that ad so personally - I think the guy put that ZR1 kit on to fit 315s or 335s on the rear and thats the only way to do it with a Vette body ; you can't really roll the fenders like a Mustang, right?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:39 PM
lite blue
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Looks like it is an actual Z rear end.
But on an '85, yea, it's kinda bogus.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Yeah,he says a ZR1 body/panels is used,and in one of the pics,you can see the wider rear panel on there in the side pic.

Not a ZR1 and hate the fakes too...but it has the wife/wide body on it from the ZR1 so he can USE that in his selling,but hopefully it wont mislead anyone.Grafting a ZR1 wide body to a Standard C4 is alot of work.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:53 AM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

He doesn't claim it's a ZR1? The title of the auction is "1985 Chevrolet: Corvette"

No where does he claim the car is a ZR1. He says it has a ZR1 body kit on it, but it is termed exactly that way, "ZR1 body kit." The only other reference to ZR1 is "ZR1 body." He doesn't represent the car as a ZR1, and only mentions ZR1 three times in the ad, and all three times the next word after ZR1 is body.

I guess, you would of preferred he not list the body modifications he made, or some how describe them as something other than a ZR1? How was he supposed to describe the body mods?

Last edited by neat; 07-05-2007 at 03:56 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:54 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...QQcmdZViewItem

I just had to vent about all these folks that claim their C4s as ZR-1s. I guess the way to look at it is a compliment that they all wish they had a real one? I was in Texas last week and I saw a white 91 convertible with a mix of Greenwood ground effects and an aftermarket spoiler with ZR-1 emblems . Because so many folks don't know the difference, these clowns will tarnish the name.....especially if they get their **** smoked by a rice burner or otherwise. It has been a few years since I have vented about this subject. Unlike all the other cars that you can clone pretty easily, at least the ZR-1 takes way more than just emblems to truly clone.

I really believe that we will have something very special over the next 10 to 15 years plus if we can keep the parts avaialable for our unique Corvetttes.
Who really cares. Its obvious it's not a ZR1.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:52 AM
needaZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fakes

These are the same people who buy knock off Rolex's, coach bags etc .
Most of them are too cheap or have no liquid assests.
I get a chuckle out of imposters. Wanna be's.
G
Old 07-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, I don't quite see the problem with that ad. He says it has a ZR-1 body, and by all appearances it does.

I also don't really mind the fakers, unless someone is trying to dupe a buyer into thinking they are getting something they aren't. But just putting the badge on, so what? Heck, at least it's one more person out there who knows what a ZR-1 is, or knows enough to want his car to look like one.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:54 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurora40
Yeah, I don't quite see the problem with that ad. He says it has a ZR-1 body, and by all appearances it does.

I also don't really mind the fakers, unless someone is trying to dupe a buyer into thinking they are getting something they aren't. But just putting the badge on, so what? Heck, at least it's one more person out there who knows what a ZR-1 is, or knows enough to want his car to look like one.

Let's be honest. 99% of people dont know a ZR-1 from a 92 LT1 C4.

That car's turbo car will eat up most ZR-1 out there anyways. Like I said who cares, he is not trying to sell it as a Z or fool anyone. Give it up.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Greybeard ZR1
Burning Brakes

I have no problem with the ad either. It doesn't mis-represent the car at all.
I would think Corvette purists would be more upset about that Ford 9" rear tucked up under there But hey, if it's good enough for "Fastlane", it's good enough for this street machine.
Still, IMO it's a cool looking Corvette, and probably quick as hell. I wonder what it will go for?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:42 PM
kmoudy
Drifting

Craig:
never fear, my hawaiian connection.
In a few years (10 or so) when our cars
start to escalate in value. People will know the
difference.
i was recentley at a corvette car show.
i had a little group of vette owners crowded around
my engine bay. None of them had ever seen an
LT5 engine before, most of them just looked and
went back to polishing their own cars. one guy
looked at me, not knowing i was the owner.
He said, pretty impressive, BUT...it still a C4.
I said, oh really, you got something against c4's.
he replied, well, to be honest with you they're junk.
I'm now out on bail.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:00 PM
lite blue
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by kmoudy
He replied, well, to be honest with you they're junk.
I'm now out on bail.
You need help with that, just call!
Old 07-07-2007, 12:20 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Hey, just voicing my opinion and as they say, "Opinions are like *******s and we all have them".

Get notified of new replies

To I am so sick of ZR-1 Wanna Be's

Old 07-07-2007, 12:24 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Originally Posted by kmoudy
Craig:
never fear, my hawaiian connection.
In a few years (10 or so) when our cars
start to escalate in value. People will know the
difference.
i was recentley at a corvette car show.
i had a little group of vette owners crowded around
my engine bay. None of them had ever seen an
LT5 engine before, most of them just looked and
went back to polishing their own cars. one guy
looked at me, not knowing i was the owner.
He said, pretty impressive, BUT...it still a C4.
I said, oh really, you got something against c4's.
he replied, well, to be honest with you they're junk.
I'm now out on bail.
Hey Keith,

I hope that dude is still in the hospital.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:35 AM
hexane
Melting Slicks

Oh so its a ZR1 wannabe. Easy solution. Take off the ZR1 emblems and ditch them. Its a very nice car. And the bid is only at $5200 right now? I just hope the reserve is around there because it could be a road trip up there in a few days. Just gotta ask permission from pops to borrow the truck and trailer for a few days.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Greybeard ZR1
Burning Brakes

This car is a prime example of "The Money Pit", where no matter how much $$ you put into it, you still have a highly modified 85' Vette. And because of that the numbers of possible buyers gets smaller, and smaller.
So, what's it worth? Certainly way more than what's been bid so far. Will it go for $10K? 12K, 15? or more.
This is the type of car that I would never build, but it sure as hell would be a kick to own, at least for a while.

So, what's it going to go for? what would you pay?

Quick Reply: I am so sick of ZR-1 Wanna Be's