Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Finally maxed out my Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 08:30 PM
O7zeeO6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally maxed out my Z

Here's my final attempt while I'm here in Germany to see where my car stops accelerating since I'm returning to the US next month. I finally got up early Sunday morning to avoid the usual Autobahn traffic. Although not the best video quality, it does capture an awesome moment for me.

First video is using the Metric scale since some people thought I was pulling a fast one last time by having the setting to km/h and making people believe that it is in MPH. I didn't know the metric scale has limitations until this experience, (I thought I broke the speedometer) you'll see what I mean.

http://www.cstone.net/~dk/TS310_sml.wmv

This second one is using the English scale.

http://www.cstone.net/~dk/TS193_2.wmv

Although I did not confirm the speed using a GPS this time, last time I brought GPS and in lower speeds, the HUD was very accurate. I don't know if it loses accuracy at higher speeds. I'm overall happy with the car in its stock form from its performance at the track and in long distance driving. However, I must say that I'm somewhat disappointed for appearing to be below par. Granted, the speed was not officially confirmed with a GPS or another means of accurately measuring speed, it is still a let down of some sort. I was expecting that GM's top speed claim would be conservative, but unless the road was downhill when they tested their test car (I'm very curious as to what the test conditions were), my car is not even close to their figure in my book since near the end, getting the car to go faster by 1 MPH took a long time and a lot of effort by the engine.

I didn't tape any seams on the car, and when I folded the side mirrors, they snapped back to the unfolded position at about 60 MPH, so I guess they have to be taped too. I didn't have any tape with me.

I do have to give praise to the GM engineers for making such a stable car at that speed despite the shaky video. On the metric video, I didn't think I'll be able to go that fast on the slight left turn. But the car was so planted to the ground, I went for it.

I'm leaving Germany having exceeded their 300 kp/h milestone. Maybe on a close track in the states someday I'll be able to break our 200 MPH milestone. I know that it will take some mod on my car to do it that's for sure. I wonder if I can use this shortfall to the claimed top speed as a justification for the GM buy back program? hmmmm...

BTW, thanks to "Stunt" (aka Peter) for hosting the video at a much higher resolutions than google or photobucket could ever display.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:49 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

That was GREAT! Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-02-2007, 08:57 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wow!

bad ****!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:05 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so 193mph?

1 or 2 in the car?
Old 07-02-2007, 09:13 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 479 Likes on 258 Posts

That was great.

I need a cigarette.

Howard
Old 07-02-2007, 09:16 PM
mcm
Racer

Originally Posted by ShawnDFW
so 193mph?

1 or 2 in the car?
Irrelevant.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:25 PM
chirocorvette
Burning Brakes

Wow. That was flyin'.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:51 PM
scottsdalevette
Pro

Default Just wondering -

Does the cruise control still work at 193 mph?
Great video, btw.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:01 PM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Wow indeed.

Great vids - I hope this stops all the hating from your previous post.

You've got b*lls to keep it pinned for as long as you did - regardless of road conditions, it's still a public roadway.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:12 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

WOW

that is amazing !
Old 07-02-2007, 10:18 PM
TeddyFreddy
Drifting

Originally Posted by O7zeeO6
Here's my final attempt while I'm here in Germany to see where my car stops accelerating since I'm returning to the US next month. I finally got up early Sunday morning to avoid the usual Autobahn traffic. Although not the best video quality, it does capture an awesome moment for me.

First video is using the Metric scale since some people thought I was pulling a fast one last time by having the setting to km/h and making people believe that it is in MPH. I didn't know the metric scale has limitations until this experience, (I thought I broke the speedometer) you'll see what I mean.

http://www.cstone.net/~dk/TS310_sml.wmv

This second one is using the English scale.

http://www.cstone.net/~dk/TS193_2.wmv

Although I did not confirm the speed using a GPS this time, last time I brought GPS and in lower speeds, the HUD was very accurate. I don't know if it loses accuracy at higher speeds. I'm overall happy with the car in its stock form from its performance at the track and in long distance driving. However, I must say that I'm somewhat disappointed for appearing to be below par. Granted, the speed was not officially confirmed with a GPS or another means of accurately measuring speed, it is still a let down of some sort. I was expecting that GM's top speed claim would be conservative, but unless the road was downhill when they tested their test car (I'm very curious as to what the test conditions were), my car is not even close to their figure in my book since near the end, getting the car to go faster by 1 MPH took a long time and a lot of effort by the engine.

I didn't tape any seams on the car, and when I folded the side mirrors, they snapped back to the unfolded position at about 60 MPH, so I guess they have to be taped too. I didn't have any tape with me.

I do have to give praise to the GM engineers for making such a stable car at that speed despite the shaky video. On the metric video, I didn't think I'll be able to go that fast on the slight left turn. But the car was so planted to the ground, I went for it.

I'm leaving Germany having exceeded their 300 kp/h milestone. Maybe on a close track in the states someday I'll be able to break our 200 MPH milestone. I know that it will take some mod on my car to do it that's for sure. I wonder if I can use this shortfall to the claimed top speed as a justification for the GM buy back program? hmmmm...

BTW, thanks to "Stunt" (aka Peter) for hosting the video at a much higher resolutions than google or photobucket could ever display.
I have modeled the C6 Z06 into a computer program.
My program shows that it takes at least 43 seconds to get from 300 km/h to 320 km/h in ideal conditions. That means no wind against you, flat and good highway, perfect engine conditions, properly inflated tires, proper alignment, etc.
So what you have experienced is perfectly normal. It takes a lot of time to increase a car's speed at over 300 km/h due to the extreme air drag.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by burtonbl103
WOW

that is amazing !
Very cool!

Ron
Old 07-02-2007, 11:36 PM
MadMaxZ06
Racer

You gotta love a country where slow people stay the hell out of the "hammer" lane!!! I was on one of the "unlimited" sections of the Autobahn back in 1999 (unfortunately I wasn't driving) and I also was impressed with how quickly anyone who was in the left lane, moved right.
Sweet vids.
Thanks,
- Max
Old 07-03-2007, 12:06 AM
donavonknight
Intermediate

Default Maybe One Day!

Originally Posted by MadMaxZ06
You gotta love a country where slow people stay the hell out of the "hammer" lane!!! I was on one of the "unlimited" sections of the Autobahn back in 1999 (unfortunately I wasn't driving) and I also was impressed with how quickly anyone who was in the left lane, moved right.
Sweet vids.
Thanks,
- Max
Maybe one day the laws here will favor the ones that know how to drive and punish those that do not know how to get off the phone and into the righthand lane!

Last edited by donavonknight; 07-03-2007 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:49 AM
mcm
Racer

If we can just put an end to wing-manning, I'd be happy.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:28 AM
O7zeeO6
Racer

Originally Posted by ShawnDFW
so 193mph?

1 or 2 in the car?
I was the only one in the car, and I weigh 135 lbs soaking wet
Old 07-03-2007, 07:21 AM
HVDT
Instructor

Strange that de hud stopped at 300 km.
I have bin a few weeks ago to germany and with the standard car i have got 326 on the hud and my frien 324 km per hour.
And that was with two people in the car.
I am curious what it will do with the halltech tune en coldair intake when i install it togetter with the air charger from Carlos.

Grtz,Hans

Get notified of new replies

To Finally maxed out my Z

Old 07-03-2007, 07:42 AM
C6Coupe
Pro

Very cool vids
Old 07-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Toxic Z
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMaxZ06
Sweet vids.
Thanks,
- Max

anyone in the hammer lane on that day would not be having a good day.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TeddyFreddy
I have modeled the C6 Z06 into a computer program.
My program shows that it takes at least 43 seconds to get from 300 km/h to 320 km/h in ideal conditions. That means no wind against you, flat and good highway, perfect engine conditions, properly inflated tires, proper alignment, etc.
So what you have experienced is perfectly normal. It takes a lot of time to increase a car's speed at over 300 km/h due to the extreme air drag.

Yep. To O7zeeO6, what was the weather like? Temperature? (edit: whoops, temp was listed right in the video )

Germany is a very low lying country (near sea level). This means the air is very dense...which can have a drastic effect on top speed.

On days below freezing, I could barely top 170 mph. Although the car makes more power (meaning more acceleration up until 120 or so), the same dense air holds the car back at high speeds.

On a warm summer day, I could hit 180-185 mph without any problems. FYI, this is in my Audi, not a Corvette.

And yes, I hope this video shuts all those fools up who were talking smack during your last video.

I knew it was for real.

Most of them would probably ruin their seats above 100 mph anyway.

Originally Posted by HVDT
Strange that de hud stopped at 300 km.
I have bin a few weeks ago to germany and with the standard car i have got 326 on the hud and my frien 324 km per hour.
And that was with two people in the car.
I am curious what it will do with the halltech tune en coldair intake when i install it togetter with the air charger from Carlos.

Grtz,Hans
The US spec cars (which 07zeeO6 has), have speedometers which are more accurately calibrated.

The European spec cars read higher speeds than the cars are going to comply with EU regulations. This may have something to do with the higher range of the EU HUD.

Last edited by Verrückt; 07-03-2007 at 10:37 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Finally maxed out my Z