Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino CS - complaint

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 04:28 PM
mark8855
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino CS - complaint

So there is a lot of pro-zaino postings on this board, and I wanted to give a listing of my complaints with one of these products. I want other people to read about some of the zaino shortcomings, so that they aren't fooled into thinking that they need all of the zaino products.

Now, I've been a zaino user for over 7 years now, and love the product line. However, I have some complaints that I feel need to be put out there. This rant is aimed at Zaino CS

I tried this stuff today, and it's horrible. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but there's no way it should be this difficult to use.

complaint #1 - why does Sal make these products so that you just need 0.0000000001oz to do the entire car? Put some more distilled water or something in there so that we can actually use the product. The spray bottle has a horrible nozzle on it, and I cannot do 'partial sprays'. It's either a full spray or nothing. And with this 'use 0.000001oz of product' nonsense, it's impossible to apply the correct amount.

complaint #2 - probably related to the crappy nozzle/need for TINY amounts of this stuff, but it looks like complete garbage on my car. I'm sure I applied WAY too much, but in my experience, it is not possible to apply it in thin coats.

I tried this CS stuff on half of my hood, and what a PAIN it is to apply. The one spray (which should probably be enough to do half the hood) gets concentrated in one tiny litte 3" diameter blob, and then it refuses to spread around. This was following the directions of shooting from 4" above the paint surface. So I get these globs of this junk all over the place, with my hood basically leopard spotted with product. Sal, either make it so that you use a decent amount for a car, or put it in a bottle with a nozzle that allows for easy partial sprays.

edit: Please forgive the ranting of this post, but I'm especially frustrated, because this came after an even WORSE experience with Zaino PC-Fusion yesterday. After an application of the stuff on a quarter of my hood, I was left with tons of swirls. This was using a PC 7424 on slow speed with a brand new white LC pad. The stuff dusted up IMMEDIATELY after I applied it. Like after working it 25 seconds into the paint. Again, probably user error, but this stuff is NOT as easy to use as everyone makes it out to be. I feel like I was robbed of over $40 and lots of time with these two products.

So yeah, that's my rant. I'd like opinions from other people, esp CS lovers. How are you applying this stuff in thin coats? Is my bottle defective?

Last edited by mark8855; 06-24-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:48 PM
mark8855
Advanced

Oh, and one other thing. The zaino site says that it takes 5min to do a whole car?!?! Are you kidding me? It took me FIFTEEN minutes just to do half my hood and the driver's side front quarter panel.

Give me a break.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:22 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Sounds like user error. If it took you 15 minutes to do half the hood something is wrong.

Some tips

In regards to the ZPC Fusion. You should have had your PC set to a speed of 5.5-6. Sounds like you didn't work it long enough to break down the product. Did you spritz your buffing pad with some distilled water before starting ? That always helps and makes the working time longer.

With CS I've found that if I prime my applicator with 2 full pumps from the bottle this really helps. I apply 1 full pump to a panel. I move my arm side to side as I'm pressing spraying it out. I go over the panel in about a minute and then move to the next. For the hood I give 2 full pumps, one for each side. I prime my applicator after about 2 panels but only use 1 pump at that time.

Was the surface of the paint hot or warm to the touch when applying your CS ? This will make a difference. The very first time I used CS I used way TOO much and had some minor streaking. I went over it with a damp MF towel after the rest of the CS dried and the streaks were gone. I know some users will use Z8 for minor streaks as well.

I would suggest calling Sal tomorrow and I'm sure he'll be more than happy to answer your questions and suggest even more tips. That's what I did when I had questions about Zaino products and he was more than happy to help me out.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:33 PM
mark8855
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrosa65

Sounds like user error. If it took you 15 minutes to do half the hood something is wrong.
Oh, I'm sure it was user error. Just saying, this stuff is not 'easy' to use. It only took 15min, because I was trying to figure out how to get rid of the leopard spot syndrome that the CS gave my car. With my spray the applicator method, I did the rest of the car in about 15 more minutes.

In regards to the ZPC Fusion. You should have had your PC set to a speed of 5.5-6. Sounds like you didn't work it long enough to break down the product. Did you spritz your buffing pad with some distilled water before starting ? That always helps and makes the working time longer.
I did spray the pad with Z6 prior to starting, and the product dusted up within 25 seconds. If it's already dried to dust, how could I work it longer? And if it was already dusted, how could it cause swirls in just 25 seconds?

With CS I've found that if I prime my applicator with 2 full pumps from the bottle this really helps. I apply 1 full pump to a panel. I move my arm side to side as I'm pressing spraying it out. I go over the panel in about a minute and then move to the next. For the hood I give 2 full pumps, one for each side. I prime my applicator after about 2 panels but only use 1 pump at that time.
Yup, I tried that. Applicator was primed, and I tried the sweeping spray. The Z-CS only spreads ~2" from the actual spray line when rubbed with the applicotr. Thus, it was impossible for me to get any kind of coverage from a single spray, no matter how I sprayed it. I ended up LIGHTLY spraying the applicator, and doing the rest of the car that way. I'd spray a small amount to the applicator and then rub on the car. The only place you could even see any Z-CS at all was the first spot that the applicator touched the paint. The rest of the rubbing looked like there was no product being applied at all.

Was the surface of the paint hot or warm to the touch when applying your CS?
Well, I did it in my garage here in phoenix, and it's probably only ~100 degrees outside (it's cold out today ). The car has been garaged all day, and wasn't hot to the touch.

I would suggest calling Sal tomorrow and I'm sure he'll be more than happy to answer your questions and suggest even more tips. That's what I did when I had questions about Zaino products and he was more than happy to help me out.
Thanks for all the advice, but I think I'm going to be returning Z-PC and Z-CS for a refund. I was not impressed with the products AT ALL.

I just went out to look at my car that has the Z-CS that I finished putting on with my 'lightly mist the applicator' method, and guess what? It's a streaky, greasy mess.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:35 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Definitely user error. I am a firm believer that some people just weren't meant to detail their own cars. I would recommend spraying a full squirt on your applicator and then spreading it on the area if you are having problems spraying on the car or maybe move farther away so the spray does not go in a blob but rather spreads out farther.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:42 PM
mark8855
Advanced

Originally Posted by agentf1
Definitely user error. I am a firm believer that some people just weren't meant to detail their own cars. I would recommend spraying a full squirt on your applicator and then spreading it on the area if you are having problems spraying on the car or maybe move farther away so the spray does not go in a blob but rather spreads out farther.
I tried both of these things. When I spray the applicator, you can only see product being applied at the first spot that the applicator contacts the paint. Any subsequent rubbing does not distribute any visible amount of product.

Spraying from further away helps atomize the spray better, but it is still not a fine enough spray to allow for spreading. It only spreads ~2" away from the spray line.

edit: and why would you insinuate that I'm not meant to detail my own car? I have valid concerns here, and am having a valid issue. If anything, it's posts like these that will actually help people in the future instead of the typical "yay, we love everything zaino" posts that don't really divulge any helpful information.

Last edited by mark8855; 06-24-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:47 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Mark

As I mentioned, I would call Sal tomorrow.

I've never had my ZPC "dust" on me before. I've buffed it until it turned almost clear and then just wiped off the little bit of haze from the paint. I actually used it this weekend with an orange pad on my trunk lid that had a few minor scratches. It's not 100 degrees here in Florida (low 90's yesterday) but I'm sure we have more humidity than Arizona.

I'm not sure how much ZPC you applied to the pad so it's hard to say. As I mentioned, I spritz my 6" pad with 1-2 fine mists of distilled water then make an X across the pad with the ZPC. I get pretty good working time out of it with the PC set at a speed of 5.5-6.

Not sure what color your car is but on my dark vehicles I can easily see the CS as I spread it out. It has a rainbow look to it. The only time I had it streak was the first time I applied it. I probably used 3 full pumps for 1 panel (way too much).

How long has the CS been on the car ? If it's been there for a few hours and you don't notice the product getting clear, there may be too much applied. Wait another hour or two and if it's still not clear you can either use some Z8 or distilled water and spritz the car down going over it with a good cotton or MF towel and the streaks will be gone.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:49 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Mark

It sounds like you may have a defective spray nozzle on your CS bottle. Mine sprays really well.

edit :

I just went out in the garage to try my bottle of CS. I did spritz my hood with some Z6 and went over it with a MF towel since it had a little bit of garage dust on the paint.

I used 1 full pump to prime a dry applicator pad then used 1 full pump on half the hood while moving my arm side to side. I had a spot on the hood about 8" on the hood while holding the bottle maybe 5" from the paint. I was able to cover the entire half of the hood.

As I said earlier, sounds like the sprayer may be defective.

Last edited by mrosa65; 06-24-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:31 PM
mark8855
Advanced

Not sure what color your car is but on my dark vehicles I can easily see the CS as I spread it out. It has a rainbow look to it. The only time I had it streak was the first time I applied it. I probably used 3 full pumps for 1 panel (way too much).
My car is black, so I do see the rainbow. Like I said though, I only see the rainbow right where I spray, and maybe up to 2" away as I work the product into the paint. It never spreads more than that. When I spray the applicator first, it only rainbows when I first touch the pad to the car. Never more than 0.5" further. How far can you spread on your car and see the product being applied?
Old 06-24-2007, 06:32 PM
mark8855
Advanced

I had a spot on the hood about 8" on the hood while holding the bottle maybe 5" from the paint. I was able to cover the entire half of the hood.
I don't understand. What is the 8" you are talking about?
Old 06-24-2007, 06:48 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mark8855
I don't understand. What is the 8" you are talking about?

If I hold the bottle about 5" from the hood and move my arm left to right as I spray the CS I get about an 8" oval pattern of CS on my paint. I then take my primed applicator and spread that around. I can see the CS on the entire half of the hood as I apply it.

Are you applying the CS to bare paint ? On my vette I have 2 coats of Z5pro that I applied a few months ago. On my Expedition I have a single coat of zaino AIO. Using CS on either of them it still spreads the same. I wasn't sure if that would make a difference.

Have the streaks started to go away as of yet ?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:36 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Mark

Just an update for you. It's been about 1 1/2 hours since I applied the CS to my hood. It's totally dry and there are no streaks. It's pretty warm/hot in my garage at the moment so I'm sure that helped with the drying time.

Just for kicks I used my digital temp gun and the surface temp of the vette is 91.7 degrees. It hasn't left the garage since yesterday morning.

I know some users have stated their drying times are longer. Let us know if the streaks cleared up.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:38 PM
GizmoZ
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

I love Zaino, but I have the same "concerns" as you do with regards to application of ZCS. It's kind of a PITA to get full coverage with that sprayer. The final result is quite nice on my Machine Silver, though, so I will still use it. I prefer Z8 to ZCS, especially how easy it is to use.

I have never had a problem with ZPC Fusion. It's one of my favorite swirl removers. Mine doesn't dust up quickly as yours did.

I, too, would recommend giving Sal a call and see what he has to say.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:11 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

I find CS the easiest product to use.

Just because you don't see the rainbow effect does not mean that it's not on your surface.

Follow what the guys above say. They know what they are doing.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:15 PM
mark8855
Advanced

Originally Posted by gmblack3

Just because you don't see the rainbow effect does not mean that it's not on your surface.

What is your method of applying it? Do you see it being applied to the surface?
Old 06-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

Just did my 1988 SS Monte Carlo this weekend. In contrast I can't believe how easy it is to use. Spreads easy and covers a large area with very little product. Took me about 10 minutes to do the whole car.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:19 PM
GizmoZ
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gmblack3

With all due respect, I tend to believe I know my way around an applicator pad. I recognize your name from Autopia... I'm BlackSunshine there

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino CS - complaint

Old 06-24-2007, 09:24 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mark8855
What is your method of applying it? Do you see it being applied to the surface?
At first yes, then at the end of the panel you may not.

If you sweep the spray in the center of your panel, then sprtiz on your pad. Start at the far end of the panel, you should pickup the CS that your sprayed on the panel about halfway thru the panel. Then go over the panel 3-4 times you will see some "high spots" near the edges of the panel. Go over those areas again to knock the high spots down.

If you are using enough CS to see a thick rainbow effect on the whole panel then you are using way too much. It appears that you are located in AZ or somewhere, is the hunidity low where you are at? If so, hot weather and low humidity will let CS dry the quickest.

When applied correctly (thin) in a hot/low humidity condition, CS will dry in less then 5 mins.

As far as ZPC goes, its hard to know what is going on there. How much experience do you have with the PC and what polishes have you used?
Old 06-24-2007, 09:25 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GizmoZ
With all due respect, I tend to believe I know my way around an applicator pad. I recognize your name from Autopia... I'm BlackSunshine there
My comment was directed to the OP.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:11 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think most of this product salient application process has been covered here. I suggested to Bugman that there is a small ‘learning curve’ to this product and that he should ‘stick with it’, he is now using this product with satisfactory results like many others (inc yours truly)

Quick Reply: Zaino CS - complaint