C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need the DIY'er in here

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 11:27 AM
95BlueBomber
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I need the DIY'er in here

I have an idea, not sure if it will work or not though. I was flipping through the JEGs book yesterday and found a vacuum pump thats electric. I have been looking for this!

Could this be the solution to our PCV issues? I know myself I dont like to run a PCV at all because I am worried it will give out under boost. Been there, rebuilt that. So I am thinking of buying this and instead of using it for the brake booster, using it on the crankcase. This would allow my rings to seal good when not in boost and keep the worry out of a PCV system failing. At the worse case this pump could go out and leave me venting my crankcase to the atmosphere. Thats no problem, thats how my PCV is done now. I am getting tired of the oil smell with the vents. Here is a link, what do you guys think?

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10002_85962_-1
Old 06-14-2007, 11:35 AM
RJW
Melting Slicks

Location: Tinker till it blows... then back it off a notch, maybe!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 95BlueBomber
I have an idea, not sure if it will work or not though. I was flipping through the JEGs book yesterday and found a vacuum pump thats electric. I have been looking for this!

Could this be the solution to our PCV issues? I know myself I dont like to run a PCV at all because I am worried it will give out under boost. Been there, rebuilt that. So I am thinking of buying this and instead of using it for the brake booster, using it on the crankcase. This would allow my rings to seal good when not in boost and keep the worry out of a PCV system failing. At the worse case this pump could go out and leave me venting my crankcase to the atmosphere. Thats no problem, thats how my PCV is done now. I am getting tired of the oil smell with the vents. Here is a link, what do you guys think?

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10002_85962_-1

A good friend of mine builds Nascar engines and years ago when I approached him about evac systems, he srongly suggeted a vac pump, but his setup was a lot more $$$

I ended up going with the OLD school chevy retard valves in the headers, with breathers in the valve covers.

I will look into it again, but a true vacuum system is definitely the ticket. Just not sure how good that one is (only meant as a solution to NO power brakes)

Thanks for bringing that up...

fwiw:...not sure about lsx engines, but on ALL the older stuff, NO PVC = sludge in pan
Old 06-14-2007, 11:50 AM
95BlueBomber
Melting Slicks

I believe 16inches of vacuum is enough for evac. I am going to try and contact my engine builder today about this. The thing is, vacuum systems are outrageous high and most wont fit in our engine bays. On top of that you have to find a way to turn the pump... This electric pump would be the ticket if it pumps enough air. This pump on the passenger side valve cover and a vent on the galley cover would be perfect I think. Thanks for the reply!
Originally Posted by RJW
A good friend of mine builds Nascar engines and years ago when I approached him about evac systems, he srongly suggeted a vac pump, but his setup was a lot more $$$

I ended up going with the OLD school chevy retard valves in the headers, with breathers in the valve covers.

I will look into it again, but a true vacuum system is definitely the ticket. Just not sure how good that one is (only meant as a solution to NO power brakes)

Thanks for bringing that up...

fwiw:...not sure about lsx engines, but on ALL the older stuff, NO PVC = sludge in pan
Old 06-14-2007, 12:04 PM
RJW
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Keep us posted.

My guy uses electric pump, so no load on motor. This has been around for years.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Keep in mind that pump is designed to draw vacuum on a brake booster cylinder and not a crankcase. The volume inside the crankcase is probably at least 4x the volume in our brake booster cylinders (but admittedly, I've never measured ). While it is capable of drawing 16" of vacuum, in practice it may not easily get there, especially under boost.

I think before you spend any cash it might be wise to look in to how much CFM that pump moves vs. a belt driven pump.

One other thought that would make this work is using it in conjunction with a Krank Vent. You would install the KV with its check positioned in such a way that any boost that is built in the crankcase is vented out through the KV (in to a breather tank).

That way when you are boosting and the pump is unable to keep up, crankcase pressure is vented. When you are just cruising and the pump finally has enough time to draw vacuum, the KV seals up and allows your pump to suck down as much vac as possible.

Note, I am not saying how well this would work in practice to draw vacuum or evacuate bad crankcase gasses, just stating that mechanically this would work.

After all the crud I saw in my cylinder head ports this past weekend, I am definitely looking for another solution and may just install a belt driven vac pump (one of the perks of running the TTiX is I can do that! lol).
Old 06-14-2007, 04:37 PM
jfhand69
7th Gear

Pumps were installed on some gm fwd 4 cyl cars as a backup mounted under battery drivers side infrount of wheel i think late 80's. I have one and was using it on a 69 fbird with large cam to run brakes running continous. worked great for that and was only about $20 at junk yard. I thought it was kinda noisy though. Not sure on free flow how it would work.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:50 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it works I'd be interested but I've always heard the motors never lasted very long. Maybe this one's different.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:03 PM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Not sure if a pump like that is designed to run all the time (i had one for my old cutlass, only ran until the vaccum was up in the brake booster) I imagine it may overheat quickly.

I think andy had a setup that works on the c5's, just not sure if it was meant for FI (more for NA.. think it mounts where the novi/vortech sit)
Old 06-14-2007, 06:50 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

I vent all my breather to atmos, via a catch can.

So simple, so cheap, and so effective.

I dont understand why so many people try and complicate something that can be so simple.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:14 PM
TYSON1997
Racer

Many of us have tried many diffrent version of these. There is one person who spent the money and went all out and I think his vaccum pump and filters fit were the battery was. Do a search and you will find him. He has a bad c6 and his name is cajun something. Also when you draw a really high vacuum like 16" you eliminate all the oil mist in the lower end. Keep in mind this is the only thing that lubricates the wrist pins!!! I have tried a couple diffrent pump and I believe if I can remember that the air pump off the bmw's was the longest lasting. Can be found on ebay. It definitely makes a noticeable gain in power at about 10" of vaccum. I found the most efficient way was to use a catch can and drill a hole and put a mini vacuum relief valve jegs to relieve at whatever pressure you wanted. I had it on the car for a while and then the car started making an internal noise when it would reach about 8" vacuum. And I stopped. It almost sounded like the cam bearings grinding? But nothing ever really came of it so I guess I didnt hurt it too bad. Also its very hard to get the whole motor to seal just so ya know. I had to use a newer style set of valvecovers from an suv that only had 1 vent on each side. Now it leaks by again somewhere and it loses an inch or so of vacuum. More trouble than it was worth in my opinion.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:23 PM
TYSON1997
Racer

C6dude was his name sorry click his links at bottom of page

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=vacuum+pump
Old 06-14-2007, 09:35 PM
RJW
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I vent all my breather to atmos, via a catch can.

So simple, so cheap, and so effective.

I dont understand why so many people try and complicate something that can be so simple.
Because many of us have seen the inside of an engine with no PCV after a lot of miles.

Sludge and residue build up in the pan and elsewhere...not pretty and can cause problems.

A properly built engine with good evac will last a lot of miles under severe abuse and have no sludge build up.

Now if you only plan on getting 20 or 30k out of your built engine , then forget that the pcv every existed.

jmo...
Old 06-15-2007, 11:29 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Modern oils, and frequent changes etc should ensure the engine remains very clean inside, for many many thousands of miles.

Apart from very poorly maintained engines, I dont think Ive seen a sludged up engine in years....whether running a PCV or not.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:42 AM
RJW
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Modern oils, and frequent changes etc should ensure the engine remains very clean inside, for many many thousands of miles.

Apart from very poorly maintained engines, I dont think Ive seen a sludged up engine in years....whether running a PCV or not.
Good to know...I'm old school and am/was concerned

Thx....
Old 06-15-2007, 02:26 PM
2000BC
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

For what it's worth I installed a 12vdc vacuum system on my 77 Vette because the cam was a little too radical and the vacuum headlights wouldn't work. I bought an industrial vacuum pump, plumbed a stand alone system, and it pulls vacuum on the 2 resevoir chambers behind the headlights. They work great up and down. If you wanted the specs and duty cycle of the pump I can dig through my paperwork and find it.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:17 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RJW
Keep us posted.

My guy uses electric pump, so no load on motor. This has been around for years.
You guys kill me........No load on the motor?
Where do you get the electricity to run the pump from?
Try turning a small generator with no load on it, then turn the same generator with a load on it!
There's no free HP and the amount of power you consume generating electricity will far out weigh the benefits of the vacuum you create in the crank case.
And the same goes for a belt driven pump.
The only evac system that works and again the benefits are minimal is plumbing the breathers into the headers and that only works at WOT with zero back pressure.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:49 PM
RJW
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

You're right, no free ride.

Bad choice of words on my part, my thoughts were on extra belts or pullies, which in my case is not a good option.

Thanks for keeping me honest, but as far as 'killing you' goes....do you need to be put out of your misery?

If so, they have pills for that

I guess this is why a lot of people tell me that Corvette owners are mostly arrogant.

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
You guys kill me........No load on the motor?
Where do you get the electricity to run the pump from?
Try turning a small generator with no load on it, then turn the same generator with a load on it!
There's no free HP and the amount of power you consume generating electricity will far out weigh the benefits of the vacuum you create in the crank case.
And the same goes for a belt driven pump.
The only evac system that works and again the benefits are minimal is plumbing the breathers into the headers and that only works at WOT with zero back pressure.

Get notified of new replies

To I need the DIY'er in here

Old 06-16-2007, 11:25 PM
95BlueBomber
Melting Slicks

For what its worth I saw a dyno improvement with a evac system. 18rwhp gain with the evac, and it was a belt driven kit.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:57 AM
RJW
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 95BlueBomber
For what its worth I saw a dyno improvement with a evac system. 18rwhp gain with the evac, and it was a belt driven kit.
On your vette? details....?
Old 06-17-2007, 03:09 PM
TLO
Cruising

Originally Posted by RJW
On your vette? details....?
Sorry should have been more detailed on that, it wasnt my car. It was a recent article in one of these magazines I get. I will try to dig up the article and post the details.

Quick Reply: I need the DIY'er in here