C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Loose side mirror

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:19 PM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Loose side mirror

I searched the threads. found this for my fix:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1234390

When I press the mirror, it only moves a small amount perhaps 1/32 inch. Should it go further? Have been trying to get the ring out but the mirror does not seem to go far enough to get anything on the clip.

Any ideas?
Old 06-09-2007, 10:28 PM
AColbe01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a very small set of needle nose pliers that helped me, grabbed the ring at the end and she finally eased out of the groove. Thought I'd break the glass putting her back in! As JohnZ said "Watch out for the three little springs in there!" mine only had one. After removing the metal backed glass put the chromed part on a piece of wood then tapped/rebraded down the strap. Mines good as new, oddly while it was off the car I got a good look as mine apparently had a little contact with some pavement or concrete in its life.

Good luck,

Andy

PS

When I put my ring back in I made sure the open gap was at the bottom incase any moisture got in there.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:37 PM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

So when you pressed the mirror, did it only move a very small amount? I have a thin needle nose, tried a small screw driver, just can't seem to get enough space between the mirror and ring to get pull it out.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:17 PM
AColbe01
Racer

It went in very little, your trying to overcome the tension of the three springs behind the mirror (my mirror was bonded to a piece of metal the same size as the mirror. I heard a sound almost like a piece of sand was between the mirror and the chrome. Try to insert the point of a L-shaped pic into the retaining rings slot to free it up a bit. I recall thinking this looks a lot like a stainless piston ring. Try to keep your tools from touching the glass, hate to see it chip or break. I did most of my work over an old white towel. Those springs are only about a 1/4" tall as I recall.

Andy
Old 06-09-2007, 11:22 PM
AColbe01
Racer

This is the thread that helped me the most!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1558388711

Andy

Mirror Picture Stolen, ummmm, Borrowed from JohnZ!

Thanks John!

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Yes. After the retaining ring and glass are out, you can get to the two rivets that retain the tension strap over the pivot; re-peen those two rivets, and it will tighten up the pivot joint.

Last edited by AColbe01; 06-09-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:10 AM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

I had seen that picture before, could not find it again but knowing what's inside was great.

I was using a long thin needle nose, just could not keep a grip. Found a short thin pair, done in no time. I simply held the mirror case in my hand and rapped it with a hammer, it's nice and snug now. Also applied a touch of grease to the screw so it should be easy to get out next time. Also used your idea to keep the clip opening on the bottom, makes sense to me. Thanks for the help!!!!

Did find discussion on a passenger side mirror:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1578520

Interesting, they sell a "screw correct" passenger side mirror. Thinking about it, the driver mirror ought to be on the passenger side. Would place the screw more under than on the top for water to accumulate. Just a thought. With a rag top that is seldom up, I don't have blind spots.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:07 AM
SolidAxle
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used a small "dental" pick to catch the edge of the ring and work it out of its groove. Griot's has them or they are all over the place at Carlisle and Bloomington at the tool vendors.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:16 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

So you just whack the rivets with a ball peen hammer?
Old 06-10-2007, 12:07 PM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paul67
So you just whack the rivets with a ball peen hammer?
Exactly. It's a bit scary trying to get the ring off at first, after a while you just say f it and it the mirror breaks I'll be buying a new one. Once it's out, I just held the mirror base in my hand and a few whacks on each rivet tightened it up.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:07 PM
eyedocs96
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pressed on the edge of the mirror closest to the opening in the ring to get some clearance. I then used a small jewelers screwdriver to catch the edge and work it all the way around.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

I am going to give it a try. Each time I close the driver's door the mirror droops. Very annoying.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Doesn't work with a repro mirror. The white/pot-metal rivet area just shatters into little pieces. That's OK, I will get another one. I have put the 40-year-old original back on. The chrome pits give it character.

Last edited by Paul L; 06-11-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:56 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Doesn't work with a repro mirror. The white/pot-metal rivet area just shatters into little pieces. That's OK, I will get another one. I have put the 40-year-old original back on. The chrome pits give it character.
Paul,
The glass shop by me says to put some crazy glue on the ball and it will do the trick. This was after I already ordered another mirror years ago. I heard of others who did it and it worked out fine. You have nothing to lose other then a Canadian buck for crazy glue. I would clean around the ball with some rubbing alcohol first and let it dry. You will still be able to move it around. The crazy glue will give it some bite from what I understand.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:13 AM
JAF1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has been discussed here in the past but Loctite (blue) also does a nice job. Clean the ball by moving the mirror around and wiping. Then dab a little on ball an move it around again to work the liquid back in there. If you keep moving the mirror around while cleaning or getting water in the area while washing it you will need to reapply. But so far it has worked out really well for me.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 PM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jeff Farrar
Has been discussed here in the past but Loctite (blue) also does a nice job. Clean the ball by moving the mirror around and wiping. Then dab a little on ball an move it around again to work the liquid back in there. If you keep moving the mirror around while cleaning or getting water in the area while washing it you will need to reapply. But so far it has worked out really well for me.
I had applied blue Loctite last year, worked for the better art of a year but once the mirror was bumped it would not stay put.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

I had the same experience with LocTite.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:53 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

I had the same experience with LocTite.
Why not try the crazy glue before you give up? I am sure the two products are made differently. It may work. As I said this info was given to me by a long time friend of mine in the auto glass business. Might just work in your case. If not you won't be out of a lot of money and time and could just go and purchase a new mirror.

Get notified of new replies

To Loose side mirror

Old 06-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

The rivet area is not repairable. I have ordered a new mirror.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:11 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

The rivet area is not repairable. I have ordered a new mirror.
Sorry Paul I forgot I did read that it came apart on you when you tried to repair it. For anyone else having the same problem before you take your mirror apart I would give the Crazy Glue a try. I wouldn't worry about using to much and just work it in to the ball moving the mirror around as you do it then just let it dry to give the ball some bite now. Just make sure you clean the ball well with alcohol and let it dry first.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:16 PM
cindymajolie
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.pink-martini.org/missions...rMeOJ7Lhf6Vu5L

Quick Reply: Loose side mirror