C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faulty EBCM causes nearly serious crash

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:08 PM
jer621
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty EBCM causes nearly serious crash

I have a 03 coupe. The DIC had intermittently shown "Service ABS", "Service Traction Contol", "Service Active Handling" sequentially for a month, then all was normal, then showed the same warnings for weeks at a time, and then nothing for weeks at a time. I got the correct codes for a EBCM problem. I could't afford a new unit right away, but was told by a Chevy dealer, and through a thread here from a Chevy technitian "NOT TO WORRY" , the faulty unit removes itself from the system. THEY ARE WRONG!!!!. In a emergency quick stop at 60mph, the car quickly rotated 45 degrees to the left, staightened out, and 45 degrees to the right and hit a car besides me.

I can't get GM to admit to this problem, repair the damaged fender, or restore a few years of life I left behind on that road.

Anyone with a similar experience, and how do I get Chevy to insure a faulty EBCM doesn't take erroneous control of the car when it shouldn't?
Old 06-07-2007, 01:45 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Maybe the car lost control because the anti-lock and active handling wasn't working at all because the EBCM was "dead" due to active trouble codes associated with it.

I doubt GM is going to do anything, especially if it was known that the EBCM was faulting and the car was still being driven.

Is there anyone here who knows if the EBCM can really still be active if there are DTCs set for it? Since this is a pretty common problem, it would be good to know if anything strange could happen as a result of ECBM failure.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 06-07-2007 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:56 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Maybe the car lost control because the anti-lock and active handling wasn't working at all because the EBCM was "dead" due to active trouble codes associated with it.

I doubt GM is going to do anything, especially if it was known that the EBCM was faulting and the car was still being driven.

Is there anyone here who knows if the EBCM can really still be active if there are DTCs set for it? Since this is a pretty common problem, it would be good to know if anything strange could happen as a result of ECBM failure.

Not sure, that throwing codes inactivates AH, it's just an indicator that there is something wrong that needs to be fixed.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:00 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jer621
I have a 03 coupe. The DIC had intermittently shown "Service ABS", "Service Traction Contol", "Service Active Handling" sequentially for a month, then all was normal, then showed the same warnings for weeks at a time, and then nothing for weeks at a time. I got the correct codes for a EBCM problem. I could't afford a new unit right away, but was told by a Chevy dealer, and through a thread here from a Chevy technitian "NOT TO WORRY" , the faulty unit removes itself from the system. THEY ARE WRONG!!!!. In a emergency quick stop at 60mph, the car quickly rotated 45 degrees to the left, staightened out, and 45 degrees to the right and hit a car besides me.

I can't get GM to admit to this problem, repair the damaged fender, or restore a few years of life I left behind on that road.

Anyone with a similar experience, and how do I get Chevy to insure a faulty EBCM doesn't take erroneous control of the car when it shouldn't?

Why should GM be at fault for you not having the money to properly fix and maintain your car.

You should have had enough common sense not to drive a car where the brake system is not working correctly.

Would you get in an airplane and go flying when you get a trouble light on the engine, I don't think so.

You're lucky you don't get sued by the person that you hit for being such an idiot and posting this on the internet.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:39 AM
trussme
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What You needed to know...

When there is a problem anywhere in the system, the computer does not know what's going on with the car or cannot respond correctly. Rather than risking the wrong response which could potentially wreck you car, the whole system is simply disabled for the remainder of the ignition cycle. At this time you will see the ABS and Traction Control warning indicators illuminated on the instrument cluster along with the following messages on the Driver Information Center (DIC):
- Service ABS
- Service Traction System
- Service Active Handling

At this point, you can safely continue to drive your car, just remember that your electronic driving aids are no longer functioning so you should adjust your driving habits accordingly.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:09 AM
qwkz06
Racer

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Why should GM be at fault for you not having the money to properly fix and maintain your car.

You should have had enough common sense not to drive a car where the brake system is not working correctly.

Would you get in an airplane and go flying when you get a trouble light on the engine, I don't think so.

You're lucky you don't get sued by the person that you hit for being such an idiot and posting this on the internet.
Take a little responsibility for your actions....inactions
Old 06-07-2007, 08:53 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,406 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by jer621
.. the faulty unit removes itself from the system. THEY ARE WRONG!!!!. In a emergency quick stop at 60mph, the car quickly rotated 45 degrees to the left, staightened out, and 45 degrees to the right and hit a car besides me.

The unit did remove itself from the system: when you stomped on the brakes the tires slid, just like any car without ABS. You knew the systems were disabled, you didn't take that into consideration when you were driving, and you lost control of your car.

I'm sorry that you had your wreck, but suck it up, fix your car and the one you hit, and learn from your experience.

Mike

Last edited by VetteDrmr; 06-07-2007 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:05 AM
R Devil
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
The unit did remove itself from the system: when you stomped on the brakes the tires slid, just like any car without ABS. You knew the systems were disabled, and you didn't take that into consideration when you were driving, and you lost control of your car.

I'm sorry that you had your wreck, but suck it up, fix your car and the one you hit, and learn from your experience.

Mike
Well put.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ What everyone else has said is true... you depended on the car to drive and correct itself instead of you doing the work. Now you're trying to blame the car.

You had no ABS and you had no stability control... you smashed the brakes and it locked the wheels up like it's supposed to, then the car slid.

This is completely normal w/o ABS or stability control... learn to counter steer and threshold brake. This is why HPDEs make you a better driver on the street. Most anyone who's run a track event would have known the basics on how to drive the car instead of sitting back for the ride and then blaming GM for not being able to control the car.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Benpup
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

It would be a different thing if the General actually placed the units in the car knowing that they were faulty.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

The thing is the faulty unit didn't make the car go out of line... the unit shut itself off and was not affecting the car.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

The unit did remove itself from the system: when you stomped on the brakes the tires slid, just like any car without ABS. You knew the systems were disabled, you didn't take that into consideration when you were driving, and you lost control of your car.

Mike
Absolutely correct. Too many uninformed people assuming what goes on with ABS/TC/AH.

Bill
Old 06-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Bob CTS
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Mike
well said.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

It sounds like he was driving in a straight line and hit the brakes hard. I still have a non-ABS car, and when I slam on the brakes in a straight line, my car continues to stay in a straight line. ABS doesn't stop the rear end from swinging out unless your car is turning when the brakes are applied VERY HARD.
Of course, if one of the brake calipers is stuck, then all bets are off!
Old 06-07-2007, 03:45 PM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, you guys are harsh! Give the guy a break. He just wrecked his car and is just asking "Anyone with a similar experience" and for advice for "how do I get Chevy to insure a faulty EBCM doesn't take erroneous control of the car when it shouldn't?" I would think an explaination of what has occured without theatrics and boasting is more in order and more indicative of what I've come to expect from other forum members. Remember we're all human and prone to error. The only time it shouldn't be forgiven is if the mistake is repeated.
JMHO.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:57 PM
FrogmanDave
Racer

You guys are being a bit harsh on the guy. Look here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1387486 and you'll find quite a few people with a little different opinion. I think there were two people here who felt like their ECBM being out actually caused a brake to lock up. I'm not sure if I agree, but the fact that so many of us (including me currently) have had a problem with ECBM's points to the fact that GM should fix these things under 'Good Faith'. Of course driving your car knowing there is a problem, then causing an accident and expecting GM to be responsible is over the top. Still.....
Old 06-07-2007, 04:02 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ArKay99
Man, you guys are harsh! Give the guy a break. He just wrecked his car and is just asking "Anyone with a similar experience" and for advice for "how do I get Chevy to insure a faulty EBCM doesn't take erroneous control of the car when it shouldn't?" I would think an explaination of what has occured without theatrics and boasting is more in order and more indicative of what I've come to expect from other forum members. Remember we're all human and prone to error. The only time it shouldn't be forgiven is if the mistake is repeated.
JMHO.
???? 1st, the guys IGNORES the car SCREAMING at him, then wants GM to admit liability (never happen without being pressured into it anyway) for something they seem CLEARLY not liable for. Did this guy ever drive a HOT car before the modern electronics? Now even my motorcycle has ABS-but the old Muscle cars (like my old 69' Vette) are brutal/crude cars by todays standards. All that seems to have happened here is the electronics failed back to what a car REALLY is without electronics. A powerful rear drive car will break loose out back if pushed hard, especially in a turn. Sounds to me like it broke loose and he over-corrected and got himself in trouble.

Get notified of new replies

To Faulty EBCM causes nearly serious crash

Old 06-07-2007, 04:11 PM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
???? 1st, the guys IGNORES the car SCREAMING at him, then wants GM to admit liability (never happen without being pressured into it anyway) for something they seem CLEARLY not liable for. Did this guy ever drive a HOT car before the modern electronics? Now even my motorcycle has ABS-but the old Muscle cars (like my old 69' Vette) are brutal/crude cars by todays standards. All that seems to have happened here is the electronics failed back to what a car REALLY is without electronics. A powerful rear drive car will break loose out back if pushed hard, especially in a turn. Sounds to me like it broke loose and he over-corrected and got himself in trouble.
Whatever doug, I'm not on my soapbox, just giving my opinion about judging others asking for experience.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:37 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,406 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by ArKay99
Man, you guys are harsh! Give the guy a break.. Remember we're all human and prone to error. The only time it shouldn't be forgiven is if the mistake is repeated..
ArKay,

Actually, I *have* experienced almost exactly what he experienced. I was autocrossing, hit a bump that unloaded the rear wheels under 1st gear acceleration, and heard a quick chime. A glance on the next straight showed the ABS light was on and something on the DIC about the ABS. Then I was into the next corner.

A couple of straights later I was coming into a chicane and hit the brakes hard. The rears locked up, she faked left, then spun hard to the right. We slid about 200 feet.

Was the car at fault? NO. I had just learned a really great lesson about 1.) the value of ABS, and 2.) the value of threshold braking.

Re-read the original post: The OP states that the tech told him the EBCM disconnects itself from the system (true statement), and then the OP states that the tech is wrong. Why? Because the OP lost control of his car.

As I said, I'm truly sorry that he wrecked his car, but physics are physics, and all the self-esteem in the world won't change it.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-07-2007, 05:39 PM
ITLBTU
7th Gear

When I first read this post I was a little worried. I thought maybe the brakes weren't working correctly, as though they were not applying pressure on one side or another. I have the same problem with my brake controller. The module is on order though. My Z06 has the best brakes that I've ever experienced. Well maybe my old LM Stock car was better, but it didn't have ABS either. I always hated how the ABS would kick in if even one tire thought about skiding on a little gravel.

Quick Reply: Faulty EBCM causes nearly serious crash