C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

LED light bulbs are brighter

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:59 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Default LED light bulbs are brighter

I have been following this thread about LED light bulbs so I thought I would give them a try. I am pleased to agree they are much brighter and come on noticeably faster. While they are very expensive, I think they will give better illumination to cars approaching from the rear. These bulbs can be purchased at SuperBrightLEDs.com. I got the 1157-RLX3.

As a test I installed the outer bulbs first and took a small video of the results.
Roy
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
Led_Lights.wmv (1.65 MB, 220 views)

Last edited by 67-427ci; 02-29-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:18 PM
david srour
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3 watt Luxeons from Superbrightled are very nice and bright. The problem, though, is radio frequency interference. Not from the LED itself of course, but from the driver, which is the small regulated power supply that is in the base of the bulb. If you have a decent FM radio you will not be happy w/ these. On a postive note, it does remind you if you left your turn signal on.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I just bought these for the '57 and they were plug and play. OE flasher
works fine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2509%26fvi%3D1

They are brighter and come on noticeably quicker. Don't know what other years they offer.

Last edited by Plastic Pig; 06-06-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

Are their any heat issues? Will they melt the lense?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:31 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by david srour
The 3 watt Luxeons from Superbrightled are very nice and bright. The problem, though, is radio frequency interference. Not from the LED itself of course, but from the driver, which is the small regulated power supply that is in the base of the bulb. If you have a decent FM radio you will not be happy w/ these. On a postive note, it does remind you if you left your turn signal on.
Interesting comment. I took a ride after installing them and had the radio on. I did not notice any RFI. My radio has been converted to modern internals (AM/FM stereo). Maybe it is not sensitive enough to pick it up (or maybe the side pipes helped mask the noise). I'll have to pay more attention the next time I take her out.
Roy
Old 06-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 375 Posts

Instead of LED's, I use brighter incandescents such as the 2357 LL (long life) from Sylvania. Puts out 40 mscd instead of 32 for the 1157 or 1034 bulbs used originally (for the brake filament, 3 mscd for all of them for the park/tail filament).

The 2357 LL draws only slightly more current (2.23 Amp) vs. the 1034/1157 (1.8/2.1 Amps) for the brake lights, and lasts longer as well.

See the data here, and click on the Miniature Incandescent bulbs, and then the S-8 bulbs:

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...ting/ECatalog/

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 06-06-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by I'maVettehead
Are their any heat issues? Will they melt the lense?
Mine came with lenses. Hasn't melted them yet..
Old 06-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Duntov-097
Mine came with lenses. Hasn't melted them yet..
LEDs run a lot cooler than incandescents, so I would expect no heat issues at all! Now if you changed to halogens, that is another story!

Plasticman
Old 06-06-2007, 10:20 PM
david srour
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

They definitely won't melt your lenses and put out much less heat than a stock bulb.
The RFI is more noticeable on a weak signal or w/ turn signals on. I found it quite objectionable on my Wonderbar repro.
It may be specific to SuperbightLED's bulb since there are different drivers out there and some may not produce the RFI. I experimented around a bit w/ loose 3 watt LEDs and a commercially available driver and did not get RFI.
You also will need an electronic flasher. LEDs in front markers result in turn signal indicators on dash both lighting up when parking lights on. Must have something to do w/ low resistance of bulbs
Old 06-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They definitely won't melt your lenses and put out much less heat than a stock bulb.
The RFI is more noticeable on a weak signal or w/ turn signals on. I found it quite objectionable on my Wonderbar repro.
It may be specific to SuperbightLED's bulb since there are different drivers out there and some may not produce the RFI. I experimented around a bit w/ loose 3 watt LEDs and a commercially available driver and did not get RFI.
You also will need an electronic flasher. LEDs in front markers result in turn signal indicators on dash both lighting up when parking lights on. Must have something to do w/ low resistance of bulbs
You can run the LED bulbs either front or back but to do both, you have to buy a special flasher. The manufacturers usually sell them.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:36 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by 67-427ci
I have been following this thread about LED light bulbs so I thought I would give them a try. I am pleased to agree they are much brighter and come on noticeably faster. While they are very expensive, I think they will give better illumination to cars approaching from the rear. These bulbs can be purchased at SuperBrightLEDs.com. I got the 1157-RLX3.

As a test I installed the outer bulbs first and took a small video of the results.
Roy
Sure would've liked to see them in the dark in the video

jack
Old 06-07-2007, 08:33 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,544 Likes on 3,009 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Default help educate the ignorant (me)

Am I right in thinking that all ultra-bright LEDs these days are pulsed?

Back in my day, to light an LED, all we did was connect it thru a current limiting resistor to a Voltage source. No RFI was possible since the circuit was DC.

So the only way I can imagine RFI generation in an LED circuit is if there is some switching going on. True?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 06-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Am I right in thinking that all ultra-bright LEDs these days are pulsed?

Back in my day, to light an LED, all we did was connect it thru a current limiting resistor to a Voltage source. No RFI was possible since the circuit was DC.

So the only way I can imagine RFI generation in an LED circuit is if there is some switching going on. True?

Thanks,

Jim
Jim,

Don't know for sure, but I think the RFI is coming from the flasher. Since the LED's draw a lot less current, they need an electronic flasher (an old electromechanical flasher relies on a bi-metallic element to heat and "flash" on/off and this requires the higher current to operate).

Plasticman
Old 06-07-2007, 03:20 PM
david srour
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Initially I thought RFI was coming from electronic flasher as well, until I noticed RFI w/ taillights and brake lights.Regular LEDs often have just a resistor to drop the voltage The high powered 3 watt LEDs have a regulated power supply (a driver in LED lingo) Its on a small printed circuit board that is in bulb base.This is what gives off the RFI. The LED itself produces no RFI. It may be peculiar to Superbrightleds bulbs. I tried an antenna filter which did not help.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Initially I thought RFI was coming from electronic flasher as well, until I noticed RFI w/ taillights and brake lights.Regular LEDs often have just a resistor to drop the voltage The high powered 3 watt LEDs have a regulated power supply (a driver in LED lingo) Its on a small printed circuit board that is in bulb base.This is what gives off the RFI. The LED itself produces no RFI. It may be peculiar to Superbrightleds bulbs. I tried an antenna filter which did not help.
If that be the case, a small capacitor across the power lead to ground should help. If it is higher freq., a LC filter (inductor and capacitor) may be required. But sounds like it is probably line transmitted noise, rather than air transmitted.

Try a 100 microfarad capacitor (16 WVDC or higher) across the power lead to ground at the LED supply (and make sure you attach the -lead of the cap to ground). If that does not do it, then need to work up the LC filter, or go to the local Radio Shack and see what they have for line RFI filters.

Plasticman
Old 06-07-2007, 09:42 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 66jack
Sure would've liked to see them in the dark in the video

jack
Here you go jack. I took this video tonight and put the incandescent bulbs back in the inner lights for a comparison. Looking at this video you can clearly see the incandescent bulbs never go completely out.

As far as heat goes the lenses with the incandescent bulbs are warm to the touch and the led's are cool.
Roy
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
Led_Taillights.wmv (1.11 MB, 113 views)

Get notified of new replies

To LED light bulbs are brighter

Quick Reply: LED light bulbs are brighter