wiper udder mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:08 AM
sneakelman
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
Default wiper udder mod

Ok, so I've had some wiper motor issues lately. No biggie, just a PITA. But I think I came up with a homemade mod that will keep this from happening again, and keep the drains clean and clear. Sorry I don't have pics, I was so into this, I forgot to take any. And I'm not taking it apart to snap a few photos for you all. Use your imagination
After you pull everything off, cowel cover, wiper tranny, motor etc. take the udders out. You'll see the flapper design is not that great. Now, go to lowes or the depot and get a length of PVC pipe about 18 inches long and the same inside diameter as your udders. Hint, take one with you to test the fit. Now go the garden section and get some porch screening. Don't get the metal kind, get the nylon type. Pick up three small screw clamps that fit your piping. Cost, less than 10 bucks.
Now, cut the bottom "flappers" off your udders. Slide a length of pipe into the udder and cut it off flush with the bottom of the udder. Now, take a section of screening, and wrap it around the udder and pipe. Clamp it tight, and place it back in the drain hole. Do the other two. After you have them in the car, cut a square section of screening and place it over the udders under the motor. I used rubber cement to hold it in place, but you can use anything from cement to duct tape. Just make sure you use something that you can remove later, so you can get to the udders and clean them out, if you need to(and you shouldn't after this, but Murphy's Law). Put it back together, and you are done.
This mod will keep your udders free of the debris that plugs them up and causes wiper motor failure. It also keeps your fender drains clean, as no junk can get to them, since their is no "flapper hole" for it to run through. The screen under the wiper motor catches debris, and the screens on the bottom of the udders catch anything that might possibly get through that. Double fail safe system, if you will.
Hope this little mod helps.
Tim D.
The following users liked this post:
DKZC5 (01-05-2018)
Old 06-03-2007, 08:15 PM
JeffC5
Melting Slicks

Location: Edmond, OK...One of the first rules of online forums: If you don't like what is said but can't refute it, attack the poster.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a great idea! Thanks for the tip.
jeff

Quick Reply: wiper udder mod