C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY fix for Active Handling malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 05:39 PM
C6 cowboy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default DIY fix for Active Handling malfunction

Just thought I would update this issue. My 06 mn6 has been flashing the damned "sevice active handling system" warning at me since a trip to Houston in January and hitting a few potholes. I have reviewed all of the posts regarding this including the references to released TSB.

Last Saturday I figured to see if I could fix this w/o taking it to the dealer and was successful! No further warnings every time I hit the first bump in the driveway on the way out to cruise. Fix is as follows:

1. Remove the kick panel directly underneath the steering column. This was a little tricky - needed a torx type screw driver bit for 2 screws and to carefully pry free several retaining clips holding the panel in place, by hand.

2. Make sure the steering column is completely retracted in.

3. Look up under and inside the steering column on the left hand side and you will see a bundle of wiring zip-tied (white) together. Try moving the steering column in/out and you will see the tension this places on this wiring bundle.

4. Proximal (towards the engine) to the zip-tie you will see a wiring connecter that has black electrical tape around it - this is the reported problem.

5. Cut the zip-tie with some wire snippers to free up the tension.

6. Pull the black electrical tape from the wiring connector.

7. Disconnect the wiring connector and reconnect it 3 times to make sure the connection is re-established cleanly. Retape w/electrical tape.

8. Replace kickboard.

After a week of driving around with and a short 2 day road trip - no problems. Hope this helps and saves a trip to the dealership.

jke
The following 6 users liked this post by C6 cowboy:
Dads2kconvertible (02-21-2022), Diamonddave60 (01-09-2023), LCZ06 (01-19-2023), mikeCsix (02-20-2022), ssg10587 (02-21-2022), TCW (01-08-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 cowboy
Just thought I would update this issue. My 06 mn6 has been flashing the damned "sevice active handling system" warning at me since a trip to Houston in January and hitting a few potholes. I have reviewed all of the posts regarding this including the references to released TSB.

Last Saturday I figured to see if I could fix this w/o taking it to the dealer and was successful! No further warnings every time I hit the first bump in the driveway on the way out to cruise. Fix is as follows:

1. Remove the kick panel directly underneath the steering column. This was a little tricky - needed a torx type screw driver bit for 2 screws and to carefully pry free several retaining clips holding the panel in place, by hand.

3. Look up under and inside the steering column on the left hand side and you will see a bundle of wiring zip-tied (white) together. Try moving the steering column in/out and you will see the tension this places on this wiring bundle.

4. Proximal (towards the engine) to the zip-tie you will see a wiring connecter that has black electrical tape around it - this is the reported problem.

7. Disconnect the wiring connector and reconnect it 3 times to make sure the connection is re-established cleanly. Retape w/electrical tape.

8. Replace kickboard.

After a week of driving around with and a short 2 day road trip - no problems. Hope this helps and saves a trip to the dealership.

jke

Excellent write-up!

I'd guess this might be very helpful to several members and maybe should be added to the FAQ section!
The following users liked this post:
LCZ06 (01-19-2023)
Old 06-02-2007, 05:54 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Excellent write-up. This has plagued several members in the past and hopefully this will take care of it for some. Right-click, Save As.

Nice job.

Paul
Old 06-02-2007, 06:37 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty scary that hitting a pothole or two could knock an electrical connector loose like that?
Old 06-02-2007, 06:45 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good news, thanks for the great write up.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Excellent info!

By your above quoted statement, I assume you have the 3LT package with telescoping steering wheel. Would you say that it is the telescoping function that is pulling at and and shifting the harness and ultimately leading to the problem? Wonder how many 1LT and 2LT owners have had this problem. Or perhaps the steering column tilt function may also yank on the harness in certain cases...? I have a 2LT with no telescoping wheel... and I very rarely even tilt the wheel... I set and forget... no problems.

Thanks again for the excellent info!
Old 06-02-2007, 07:53 PM
MichaelB
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Thanks
Old 06-02-2007, 08:05 PM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10, '15. '22-'23

Great timing on this. I have been procrastinating taking mine in for this problem. Based on your write-up I'm going to try this fix first and see if I can avoid the dealer! Thanks!
wwwFLA (04-15-2022)
Old 06-02-2007, 08:40 PM
C6 cowboy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, I do have a 3lt and assumed the problem was mainly with folks who had the power adjustable steering wheel column. Mine is set up to move into my saved position after getting into the car. Thus, the steering column moves every time I get in and drive. However, if you have the manual steering column and move it routinely, I suspect the same problem would occur. Interesting point to consider. Sorry I didn't post any pictures - just haven't had the time b/c of work.

jke
Old 06-02-2007, 08:48 PM
chucky7
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

I do believe that this connector is the issue. After 6 months, my 2005 loaded vette was having the same issue. It seemed to happen as soon as the engine was started and the steering wheel telescoped. Then, I ordered a down south red leather steering wheel and had to swap out the wheel. It stopped immediately after dealer swapped them out. Must have been the same connector. I seem to recall the dealer telling me that the connector was tie wrapped tightly and there wasn't enough slack to telescope properly without pulling on the connector.
LCZ06 (01-19-2023)
Old 06-02-2007, 08:54 PM
antoniopaolo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info. Good writeup.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Now you tell me... Had mine fixed @ the dealer...

Doh!
Old 06-02-2007, 09:48 PM
shortski
Drifting

8. Replace kickboard.

jke
Known issue with TSB;

TSB 06.02.35.002

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) C0710 Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS) Signal, Service Stability System Message on Driver Information Center (DIC) (Inspect and Secure Wires in SWPS Connector)

2005-2006 Chevrolet Corvette

with Steering Wheel - Tilt, Telescoping (RPO N37)

Condition
Some customers may comment on a Service Stability Message on the DIC.

Diagnosis with a scan tool may reveal a DTC C0710.

Cause
The most likely cause of a DTC C0710 on a vehicle equipped with telescoping/tilt steering wheel is high resistance in SWPS connector C202. Fretting terminal corrosion maybe present in the SWPS connector due to the telescoping motion of the steering column. When the steering column is telescoped in and out, the female terminals within the SWPS connector may move on the male terminals of the SWPS. This movement between the terminals may cause a high resistance condition in the SWPS connector.

Correction
Remove the driver's side close out panel.

Notice:

• Failure to properly tape the wires in the connector may result in additional concerns.

• Failure to use a small plastic strap 2.5-3.5 mm (0.10-0.14 in) in width may prevent the SWPS connector from properly seating, resulting in additional SWPS DTCs.

Using electrical tape (1), tape from the plastic strap up the wires a minimum of 2.5 cm (1 in).
Install a small plastic strap (2) 2.5-3.5 mm (0.10-0.14 in) wide around the SWPS sensor connector so that it retains the wires to the connector as shown.

Important: Install and remove the SWPS connector a minimum of three times to remove any possible terminal corrosion.

Reinstall the SWPS connector.
Reinstall the close out panel.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:08 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Thanks for the good info.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:18 AM
gordonb50
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Great write-up. Definately a keeper.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:16 AM
codename Bil Doe
Burning Brakes

Damn, Columbo! Good work!!
Old 06-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Olfart
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by shortski
Known issue with TSB;

TSB 06.02.35.002

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) C0710 Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS) Signal, Service Stability System Message on Driver Information Center (DIC) (Inspect and Secure Wires in SWPS Connector)

2005-2006 Chevrolet Corvette

with Steering Wheel - Tilt, Telescoping (RPO N37)

Condition
Some customers may comment on a Service Stability Message on the DIC.

Diagnosis with a scan tool may reveal a DTC C0710.

Cause
The most likely cause of a DTC C0710 on a vehicle equipped with telescoping/tilt steering wheel is high resistance in SWPS connector C202. Fretting terminal corrosion maybe present in the SWPS connector due to the telescoping motion of the steering column. When the steering column is telescoped in and out, the female terminals within the SWPS connector may move on the male terminals of the SWPS. This movement between the terminals may cause a high resistance condition in the SWPS connector.

Correction
Remove the driver's side close out panel.

Notice:

• Failure to properly tape the wires in the connector may result in additional concerns.

• Failure to use a small plastic strap 2.5-3.5 mm (0.10-0.14 in) in width may prevent the SWPS connector from properly seating, resulting in additional SWPS DTCs.

Using electrical tape (1), tape from the plastic strap up the wires a minimum of 2.5 cm (1 in).
Install a small plastic strap (2) 2.5-3.5 mm (0.10-0.14 in) wide around the SWPS sensor connector so that it retains the wires to the connector as shown.

Important: Install and remove the SWPS connector a minimum of three times to remove any possible terminal corrosion.

Reinstall the SWPS connector.
Reinstall the close out panel.
My '05 mn6 has been intermittantly displaying 'service active handling system' and 'column lock' messages during this most welcomed driving season.

The local dealer determined the column position switch was faulty, and needed to be replaced, and would 'fix' both problems. Well....during the switch replacement process, the tech discovered a white ribbon cable under the column shroud that looks like it was cut at an angle, and literally fell out of the connector when the covers were removed.

The problems I've experienced may be cured after the switch and cable are replaced. Will update accordingly.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY fix for Active Handling malfunction

Old 09-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Olfart
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Olfart
My '05 mn6 has been intermittantly displaying 'service active handling system' and 'column lock' messages during this most welcomed driving season.

The local dealer determined the column position switch was faulty, and needed to be replaced, and would 'fix' both problems. Well....during the switch replacement process, the tech discovered a white ribbon cable under the column shroud that looks like it was cut at an angle, and literally fell out of the connector when the covers were removed.

The problems I've experienced may be cured after the switch and cable are replaced. Will update accordingly.
Update: Discovered there are 2 types of column locks switches for an '05....imported and domestic. The dealer ordered a domestic, but found out they needed an import?? This took an extra couple of days as it was difficult to locate, but they got one in and replaced it.

I picked the car up after the replacement with no problems for a couple of weeks. Then the dreaded DBS showed up, and when the dealer checked the battery with the 'only tester GM will accept' found the battery had a bad cell, or two. They replaced it approx. 1 month ago, and so far not 1 problem.

Note the battery died if I left the headlight's switch in the auto position. Normally I just use the running lights, but we had a few days of rain during which I allowed the headlights to turn on. Even though the lights turned off after shutting down, the battery died after as little as 30 minutes afterwards????

Now 4-5 weeks later, so far, so good. I have no reservations regarding whether to purchase the extended GM warranty on this vehicle or not. I've just seen WAY too many major glitches so far. Fortunately the dealers have been able to correct all of the problems so far, but I have absolutely no confidence that all of the bugs have been discovered and corrected.

Is there anyone else who shares similar feelings about the need for purchasing the extended warranty?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:33 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Olfart
Update: Discovered there are 2 types of column locks switches for an '05....imported and domestic. The dealer ordered a domestic, but found out they needed an import?? This took an extra couple of days as it was difficult to locate, but they got one in and replaced it.

I picked the car up after the replacement with no problems for a couple of weeks. Then the dreaded DBS showed up, and when the dealer checked the battery with the 'only tester GM will accept' found the battery had a bad cell, or two. They replaced it approx. 1 month ago, and so far not 1 problem.

Note the battery died if I left the headlight's switch in the auto position. Normally I just use the running lights, but we had a few days of rain during which I allowed the headlights to turn on. Even though the lights turned off after shutting down, the battery died after as little as 30 minutes afterwards????

Now 4-5 weeks later, so far, so good. I have no reservations regarding whether to purchase the extended GM warranty on this vehicle or not. I've just seen WAY too many major glitches so far. Fortunately the dealers have been able to correct all of the problems so far, but I have absolutely no confidence that all of the bugs have been discovered and corrected.

Is there anyone else who shares similar feelings about the need for purchasing the extended warranty?
My headlights have been left in the auto mode since the day I picked it up at the museum in April 2005. I have never had DBS and it's the MN6 so I doubt that's what caused the dead battery.

My plan is to purchase an extended warranty from Dennis Fitchner next March.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:57 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Good info, thanks.

Quick Reply: DIY fix for Active Handling malfunction