Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Los Angeles County Raceway set to close on July 29th...WCCC fate unclear

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 02:22 AM
Blue85L98
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Los Angeles County Raceway set to close on July 29th...WCCC fate unclear

Just got word today from the track manager at LACR, that the track will be closing for good on July 29th.

Still have some folks trying to save the track, see more information at the link below:

http://savelacr.org/

This may be the beginning of the end of the West Coast Corvette Challenge as a 'points' series. Our next WCCC race, the 7th event for 2007, is scheduled for June 9th at LACR, and the events scheduled at LACR for September and October that will not be happening now. June 9th may be the end of the 2007 WCCC season. We may still have one or two events each year at the tracks at Las Vegas (LVMS) or Bakersfield (Famoso).

Stay tuned to find out the fate of the WCCC series...

-dave
Old 06-02-2007, 10:18 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

That is a tough pilll to swallow.

You all out there have kept it going and remained positive all the way.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Doug 87L98
Drifting

Wow, that's a big curveball! Hope you guys can work something out to keep the series alive.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:40 PM
cc42
Racer

Dave's done a great job.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:31 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just another reason why I think Ca. SUCKS I can honestly say Ca. is the last State I'd ever want to live in...

Being a Conservative might have something to do with it... but "La La Land" is not where I'd want to live..

I bet they will lead the charge to ban all Drag Racing if they could.. or only allow electric powered cars.. that are "Environmentally Friendly"
Old 06-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Grayeagle
Instructor

Damn.

I raced there with my Orange 'Dragon' Duster for many years, off and on.. when it was King's Valley and later became LACR.

I met Bernie when we were stationed at George and he ran a 1/8th mile strip on base way back when

Sheesh does he look 'old' -grin-

I hope they can work something out .. looks like they definitely need to.

-Frank
Old 06-03-2007, 01:48 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Loved going to that track while I was out there.

I hope they save it.

Don't a lot of TV shows shoot there?

WillowSpring should add a drag strip if they do close it.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:47 PM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Drag Racing, it's almost a thing of the past in So. Cali.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:22 PM
SHINOBI-X
Drifting

Originally Posted by jpee
Just another reason why I think Ca. SUCKS I can honestly say Ca. is the last State I'd ever want to live in...

Being a Conservative might have something to do with it... but "La La Land" is not where I'd want to live..

I bet they will lead the charge to ban all Drag Racing if they could.. or only allow electric powered cars.. that are "Environmentally Friendly"
and I live in this smog infested,illegal imigrant surounded,melting pot of arrogant snobs. I've lived here most my life and will end up venturing off to another state. This time its where ex-body builders who have horrible accents don't exsist as govenors.

I've raced at LACR and im in that picture Briancunningham took at the track that day. I love to drag race and its too bad tracks keep shutting down in california. Its what we need to stop major accidents,street racing etc. Even the police in my city claim we need a drag strip here! I've talked to plenty of em' and Im not supprised to hear that from them.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Philabuster
Heel & Toe

The closing of LACR is for a reason similar to that which led to the demise of so many of SoCal's strips -- the value of the land outstripped the value of the track.

LACR is located on leased ground owned by a sand and gravel company named Granite Construction. Granite is a state-wide firm, engaged in road building among other things. The land all around LACR has been the site of sand and gravel mining for many many years. This itself has been one of the reasons that LACR suffered few if any objections from the local citizenry about its operation -- there is no local citizenry nearby.

Now, Granite has determined that they need to mine the land on which the track is located. Over the past months, they have dug closer and closer to the strip, taking down the grandstands and a lot of the pit area in the process. Where the stands were is now a deep hole. They have now determined that the mining will eat up the actual space where the track itself is.

Bernie and the LACR track staff have moved operations around and have done all they could to keep the track in operation as the mining has encroached month by month. Dave has worked his b--- off in scheduling and running events at LACR (and other tracks such as LVMS and Famoso) for the WCCC racers.

Now, the WCCC and all the rest of the drag racers in Southern California are left with Fontana (1/4 mile), Irwindale (1/8 mile) and Famoso. The problem is that these three tracks are incredibly overcrowded. The late Dave Danish, recent former manager of Fontana (also known as the Auto Club Raceway), told me this past spring that there was absolutely no room to schedule the WCCC or any other group into Fontana. They (Fontana) use a cutoff of 400 cars per event, and turn many away each event. You don't get many passes when there are 400 cars in attendance.

It's a sad situation, especially for us old guys who have seen drag racing grow from its beginnings, now to see its demise here in SoCal.

Phil
Old 06-19-2007, 07:10 PM
rcolling
Le Mans Master

Philabuster hit it right on the head. The value of land out here keeps eating up recreational use properties and its not just drag strips.

They have been trying to construct a new one out in Banning for two years now. It keeps getting snagged on Red tape and EPA stuff.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:24 PM
xrcrx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's incredibly horrible-greedy bastards, I don't even live there and it makes me angry. Best of luck guys.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:57 AM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Come to Vegas

That really sucks for all you So Cal guys, but for what it is worth, you are all welcome here in Las Vegas. Besides, there are a lot more things to do here besides racing.

Clayton from Las Vegas

Get notified of new replies

To Los Angeles County Raceway set to close on July 29th...WCCC fate unclear

Quick Reply: Los Angeles County Raceway set to close on July 29th...WCCC fate unclear