Wiper motor lessons learned

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:25 PM
sneakelman
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
Default Wiper motor lessons learned

First off I want to thank everyone for their help and ideas. Said it once I'll say it again, I LOVE THIS PLACE!
Now, here's what I did to mine: After taking everything apart, and believe me it's well worth the $5.00 at autozone for the battery terminal puller,(it's a MUST have for the job), I pull the udders out. DAM* were they ever loaded with crap and crud. Cleaned them out, made the outlets bigger and re-installed them. Next, I took the wiper motor apart and hit it with a hair dryer to get any moisture out. After putting it back together,(get ready to laugh) I plugged the power connection back in, hit the switch and got nothing! Took the plate off of the motor again, to make sure I didn't knock something loose, put it back together AGAIN, plugged it up, hit the switch, and again got nothing. So I figure the motor is a bust, call Terry over at autozone, and order one. (39.00 for rebuilt versus 129.00 from NAPA"new" or 179.00 from the stealership) Be here tomorrow he says, thanks T bubyeeee. Start to walk downstairs to put things away and BAM!!!! It hits me that I didn't put the dam* fuse back in the block from where I had taken it out to stop the motor when it acted up!!!!! Put the fuse back in and PRESTO, motor works great again. Put it all back together, and it works fine.
Lessons learned:
1. Keep your udders cleaned out!
2. After taking off the cowel cover, take some black duct tape and and tape down the rubber lip protector of the cowel cover. It's the rubber piece that actually sits on the windshield. Trust me, the tape that holds that thing on the plastic cover is crap, and this will keep your rubber nice and tight. Besides, in true redneck fashion, there aint anythang ya'll kaint fix wiv duck tape!
3. Take delivery of new motor for a spare, just in case. for 30 bucks it's worth having it around if this happens again.
4. Sit back and bask in a job done by you, for you, and done for the right price FREE!
5. Say a big thanks to the forum people. You guys ROCK!

Yeah, I know this is long, but when you read it, you will gain some knowledge that may help you later(or now) AND you get to laugh at my dum azz mistake. Now how can it get any better than that?!?!?!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:46 PM
GRUNIE
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the informative post. Just wondering how you got the cowel cover off? I had my windshield replaced ~ a year ago and there's a spot where the cowel over has a slight hump. Almost like they missed an attachment point. I didn't notice it at first because the windshield wiper hides that area. But I know it's there. I also happen to be **** and would like for the cowel to sit flush on the windshield . Thanks again .
Old 05-30-2007, 06:17 PM
sneakelman
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Pull the 5 plastic cowel cover pins out. Take a small screwdriver and a pair of needle nosed pliars. Easily done this part. Then working from one corner or the other(drivers side or passenger side) lift the cover away from the cowel. Make sure you have your fenders covered as there isn't a lot of room, enough to work with but you don't want to scratch the fender with the cowel plastic. It helps to lift up the engine side(front) first then slide out the windshield side. Once it's out, you will see how there are a couple of "lips" that slide UNDER the winshield. I'm betting this is where your "HUMP" is coming from. Just reverse yourself to put it back in place.
Do yourself a favor and use the black duct tape trick. Oh, and stop and get some new cowel pins. Cheap at any parts store, and they will hold better than re-attatched ones. Plus they look better new. :-)
Good luck!
Old 05-30-2007, 06:24 PM
GRUNIE
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Perfect! My next W/E project. Thanks Sneakelman
Old 05-30-2007, 06:55 PM
drews60
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah but you used color matching duct tape. How upscale is that!
Old 05-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,449 Likes on 14,054 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Easy enough to forget about the fuse. Glad you got it back in operation again.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Jims99frc
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the first thing I did to my car when I got it . The lot where I bought it had just washed it before I picked it up , and the wipers were going crazy . I already knew what the problem was , thanks to the forum .

I spent about ten dollars on silicone to reseal the motor , and electric spray to get all the moisture out .
No problems .
Old 05-30-2007, 09:06 PM
sneakelman
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by drews60
Yeah but you used color matching duct tape. How upscale is that!
It's on the UNDERSIDE of the cowel cover. But if you want to use the silver stuff, help yourself. Or don't use any at all. It's your car right bro. But when you look down and see your rubber molding starting to become loose and looking "cheap", then you might think about the "upscale" black duct tape.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper motor lessons learned

Quick Reply: Wiper motor lessons learned