Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Brembos on.. 6 pistons fit behind stock wheels..

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 08:52 PM
SW
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Brembos on.. 6 pistons fit behind stock wheels..

Just put on my new brake package. 14" Brembos, 6 piston front, 4 piston rear. I ordered the slotted discs, but Brembo is out of stock for now. These babies will pull you out of the seatbelts when you hit them. I have two new sets of wheels ordered for the track but I didn't think the fronts would fit behind the stock rims but they do. I put a 1/8 spacer just for a little more room. They are really close to the inner rim.

Thanks to John Page(21st Century Muscle Cars) for the hook up on the brakes!

SW

Last edited by SW; 05-18-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

SW,

You are in for a real treat. I've been running Brembos for the last 10,000 miles mostly on the track. I'm running the 4 POTS up front and I stand on these things all day long. The modulation is second to none!

Best of all you can change the pads in minutes!

Mike
Old 05-18-2007, 09:35 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Nice! Added to post # 27 of the FAQ.

Last edited by LTC Z06; 05-18-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:41 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Nice
Will those rotors fit the stock z06 brake setup ?
Old 05-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Ruf-Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brembo?

Oh yes! Gotta love 'em. We did 3mm spacers to provide a little extra margin for stock wheels.With the CCW's there is a ton of clearance.

Enjoy

Roland
Old 05-18-2007, 10:59 PM
dark_phantom
Le Mans Master

Location: Central Florida. Black Sheep Squadron Member. 465 rwhp & 477 rwtq
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Wish I had the money for them.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The clearance looks really close. I can understand why some might want to use spacers but I've always tried to avoid spacers.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:35 PM
SW
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Exterminator
The clearance looks really close. I can understand why some might want to use spacers but I've always tried to avoid spacers.
Yes, spacers are a no no in my book too.. My wheels will be here soon. CCW for track, HRE for the street.

Mike, I have been running Brembos on my C5 track cars for a long time also, they are really great. I went to a track day about a month ago with my C5. I broke a timing chain on Sat. I trailered it back home on Sat, and drove my Ferrari up on Sunday and ran two hard sessions with it and drove home. The 550 is a heavy pig but the factory Brembos with stock pads held up with no issues at all. As you know, they are worth the money.

SW

Last edited by SW; 05-18-2007 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Dvlray6
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Stoptech's BBK on mine. No spacers at all.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:00 AM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brembo changed their GT kit from last year. They used 14" rotors to fit, avoiding going to 19" wheels up front. I thus went with 4-piston, same rotor, also drilled. They discontinued the slotted/drilled combo, my favorite. But, it's brick wall braking from he!!, I cannot imagine any more stopping potential. You'll less brake dust, seems ridiculous, but true.

Don't worry about the drilled rotors, unless you prefer another appearance. I've used drilled (GT set) on several cars for the past 10 track years, and recently closely inspected all of them, with all I hear about fracture lines, etc. Not a hint of problems. Wear is also even, never had to replace a rotor. Best upgrade ever. Congrads.

Last edited by kelp; 05-19-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:05 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

First - those things are drop dead gorgeous!!!! Question: I have the 4 piston brembos on my C5 and they perform flawlessly. Do the 6 piston brakes provide a significant improvement over the 4 piston version? How much extra $$$ do the 6 pistons cost over the 4 piston versions?
Old 05-19-2007, 12:15 AM
SW
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
First - those things are drop dead gorgeous!!!! Question: I have the 4 piston brembos on my C5 and they perform flawlessly. Do the 6 piston brakes provide a significant improvement over the 4 piston version? How much extra $$$ do the 6 pistons cost over the 4 piston versions?
The 4 pistons are great, ran them for years. I haven't been to the track with the C6 yet, so no feedback yet. On the street, they feel good, but I don't think the 6 piston is worth the upgrade yet..

Thanks Kelp.

the 4 piston set up on my C5 track car..

SW
Old 05-19-2007, 12:15 AM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was deciding on 6-piston also. Talk to Mike Brembo. If you are repeatedly braking from excessively speeds, you need 6 piston. I've never faded at any event. But 6-piston is better, more $$ too. Also look at overall pad surface area.

You've probably heard my example, but here again: I barrel down the front straight at VIR 130-150. I lighten up at 5 to coast to 120 and brake at 5? (no) 4? (no) 3? (no) (pause - as the instructor gets ready for a bowel movement) TWO - Bang! stand on the Brembos at 120, slow to enter the U-turn one.

I don't know how I could sink into the corner any further. And....I might run out of leather conditioner!
Old 05-19-2007, 12:18 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SW
I trailered it back home on Sat, and drove my Ferrari up on Sunday and ran two hard sessions with it and drove home. The 550 is a heavy pig but the factory Brembos with stock pads held up with no issues at all. As you know, they are worth the money.

SW
Great to see you ran the Mara!

We see a lot of 360s and 430s by us. We had a 430 lose it's brakes last year. Luckily there was no damage. I was surprised. Even with the top brake brands, you have to watch pad depth for overheating.

How much extra $$$ do the 6 pistons cost over the 4 piston versions?
Approx. 1$K
Old 05-19-2007, 01:16 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Wonder why GM doesn't just use Stop tech or Brembo as factory equipment ?
Old 05-19-2007, 01:29 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

MTI Racing has those on their C6Z. They will repeatedly do 160+ to 50 going into Turn 10 at Road Atlanta with no protest. They are amazing.

That reminds me, I need to post up some videos from in that car.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:17 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Approx. 1$K
That isn't actually too bad. My 4 piston set-up has never let me down. No fade ever enters the picture. I have the same set-up as SW in his pic above. I think I have a pic or two myself - I'll post them up. I must say though, those 6 piston fronts do look fine!

Get notified of new replies

To Brembos on.. 6 pistons fit behind stock wheels..

Old 05-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

That isn't actually too bad. My 4 piston set-up has never let me down. No fade ever enters the picture. I have the same set-up as SW in his pic above. I think I have a pic or two myself - I'll post them up. I must say though, those 6 piston fronts do look fine!
Keep in mind there is a limited choice of pads with the 6-POTS versus the 4. Reminiscent of the 19" versus 18" tire selection out there!
Old 05-19-2007, 02:13 PM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Keep in mind there is a limited choice of pads with the 6-POTS versus the 4. Reminiscent of the 19" versus 18" tire selection out there!
Now you tell me!

But your man Mark at Fall-Line, from whom I just ordered a 6 pot set up, said that Pagid and PFC, amongst others, are gearing up to producing pads in the 6 pot size now.
The good thing about Brembo is that every pad manufacturer knows it is worth their while tooling up to make pads for whatever caliper they produce as they will sell thousands of units.

In the meantime, my set are going to ship with Brembo's street pad. Is that going to fade terribly on track? Mark seemed (wisely) to think they were a safer bet than Brembo's track pad in case they don't work well on the street, which would be worse.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by David_Yu
Now you tell me!

But your man Mark at Fall-Line, from whom I just ordered a 6 pot set up, said that Pagid and PFC, amongst others, are gearing up to producing pads in the 6 pot size now.
The good thing about Brembo is that every pad manufacturer knows it is worth their while tooling up to make pads for whatever caliper they produce as they will sell thousands of units.

In the meantime, my set are going to ship with Brembo's street pad. Is that going to fade terribly on track? Mark seemed (wisely) to think they were a safer bet than Brembo's track pad in case they don't work well on the street, which would be worse.

The Pagid Orange is a great pad but not as aggressive as the Hawk Black. You will have more choices soon. Funny thing is I never ran the stock Brembo pads either. Pulled them out from day one!

Forum Member GoTreo put the 6-POTS on his black car and like SW here, they really do look great!

Mike

Quick Reply: [Z06] Brembos on.. 6 pistons fit behind stock wheels..