C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

radiator stop leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:29 AM
NINETNINEVETT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator stop leak

I have a small leak in my radiator and wonder if anybody has used bars stop leak. Does it work. What are the draw backs to worry about. 327/365 motor
Old 05-01-2007, 01:29 AM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NINETNINEVETT
I have a small leak in my radiator and wonder if anybody has used bars stop leak. Does it work. What are the draw backs to worry about. 327/365 motor
Even if it stops the leak, I would not use it on a Vette. That's the stuff you try on an old beater that you want to try to keep running another year or so before the junk yard. If it really does stop the leak, it could seal things inside the engine as well that should not be clogged.

Better to keep an eye on it and add coolant as necessary until you can get the radiator repaired or replaced.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:36 AM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

Most people don't know how to use it correctly. They insist on dumping the whole container in the radiator. All that does it clog it up.

If you have a minor leak... where coolant is dripping very slowly... or just seeping... the stuff works miracles.

If you know how to use it.... and that means sparingly.

I'm talking about a small dash of the stuff... a bottle cap full. That's it.

It'll work.... check it out.

I've had it in my radiator 5 years.... stopped the leak in 15 minutes. Hasn't failed since.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:08 AM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use it. A couple of years ago when I was freshening-up the engine in my 61, I thought I would give the radiator a good cleaning. I did and it had multiple leaks. It is the original aluminum radiator.

I used a bottle of the aluminum Bars. It plugged the multiple little leaks and have run it ever since. It will hold pressure over several days.

Joe

The original Bars is basically just wood fibers in suspension that plugs the small holes. The key is flush the excess Bars after the leak is plugged.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:16 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

For small seep leaks.

Condensed milk.

I think that is what it is called, the real thick, gooey sweet stuff, or maybe it is evaporated milk, but I think it is condensed milk.

It will NOT clog anything, but as the stuff seeps out and the water and glycol evaporates, it leaves behind a solid but pliable plug.

Doug
Old 05-01-2007, 02:34 AM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

If it is a small hole it can be sealed with JB Weld.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:41 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Solder Seal makes a product called "Block Sealer" Thats the best there is. I sold both products [Barrs Leak] and the Block Sealer is better.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:39 AM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by devildog
Use it. A couple of years ago when I was freshening-up the engine in my 61, I thought I would give the radiator a good cleaning. I did and it had multiple leaks. It is the original aluminum radiator.

I used a bottle of the aluminum Bars. It plugged the multiple little leaks and have run it ever since. It will hold pressure over several days.

Joe

The original Bars is basically just wood fibers in suspension that plugs the small holes. The key is flush the excess Bars after the leak is plugged.
It's not wood fibers. It's fiber from ginger root
Old 05-01-2007, 09:06 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Bards stop leak was actually put in new engines at the factory.

If used per directions - it works fine.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:58 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by crw41
Bards stop leak was actually put in new engines at the factory.

If used per directions - it works fine.
Bar's is STILL installed in all new cars and trucks at the factory, to seal against tiny seepage leaks at hose connections; every vehicle gets two Bar's pellets at the radiator fill operation. My plant guys called them "rabbit turds".
Old 05-01-2007, 02:02 PM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting, it's actually used in new cars!!!!! So is it a good idea to put a bit in when changing coolant components? Sounds like if it's good enough for the factory to have used for years it might be a good thing to do.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:52 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by bweaver999
Interesting, it's actually used in new cars!!!!! So is it a good idea to put a bit in when changing coolant components? Sounds like if it's good enough for the factory to have used for years it might be a good thing to do.
if it's not leaking, don't fix it.....
Bill
Old 05-01-2007, 03:48 PM
avideo
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I Have Used Barr's Stop Leak In My 1995 C4 Coupe...

and it worked great. In fact, Richard Newton, who wrote a GREAT BOOK on C4 repairs recommends it in certain types of situations. I had a small but persistent leak of several drops of cooling system fluid that dropped on my garage floor after virtually every trip in my C4. I finally put in a really small amount - about 1 oz. in my system - and the leak stopped two years ago and has not returned. And as mentioned above, this product is used in new cars as well as being a factory authorized "fix" for cooling system leaks in certain models of Cadillac and Cherolet.

Last edited by avideo; 05-01-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:00 PM
NINETNINEVETT
Racer

I tried it tonight. Put in about 2 oz. ran it for about half and hour seems to work no leak. We will see what happens. Thanks for all the tips. Mike
Old 05-02-2007, 12:20 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Bar's is STILL installed in all new cars and trucks at the factory, to seal against tiny seepage leaks at hose connections; every vehicle gets two Bar's pellets at the radiator fill operation. My plant guys called them "rabbit turds".

You guys musta' been city slickers. They're too big for rabbits. We called the "dog turds".
Old 05-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Biggus Blockus
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NINETNINEVETT
I tried it tonight. Put in about 2 oz. ran it for about half and hour seems to work no leak. We will see what happens. Thanks for all the tips. Mike
Did you use the Aluminum version or the Classic (turds in a jar)?

I've used both with good results in the past.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
For small seep leaks.

Condensed milk.

I think that is what it is called, the real thick, gooey sweet stuff, or maybe it is evaporated milk, but I think it is condensed milk.

It will NOT clog anything, but as the stuff seeps out and the water and glycol evaporates, it leaves behind a solid but pliable plug.

Doug
Just so you know... Condensed milk is what caramel is made of. Just take a can of it and throw it in boiling water for a 1/2 hour and you have a can of caramel. Just think how your engine will love that gooey caramel after the first time it gets hot.

Just to be clear... this is a very bad idea if you were serious.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:43 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
You guys musta' been city slickers. They're too big for rabbits. We called the "dog turds".
The pellets in the liquid form are small, like rabbitt turds. The large pellets are sold dry in a plastic sleeve, I'd hardly call them dog turds, still too small !
Old 05-03-2007, 02:52 AM
NINETNINEVETT
Racer

Used the classic version. put a few oz and leak is gone so far. Will run it this weekend and see if it holds.

Get notified of new replies

To radiator stop leak

Quick Reply: radiator stop leak