Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Power Loss Problem SOLVED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Cbrymer54
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Loss Problem SOLVED!!!

I posted a couple months ago about losing power under hard acceleration @ about 4500 rpms. I had it dyno'd which proved that power was dropping off. Well after about 4 visits to the dealership and a month of waiting (b/c they couldn't figure it out either), they finally received a "hint" to what it might be.

The problem was the ALTERNATOR!! Now the first explanation I got from the dealer was that the alternator cables could be running parallel to the pcm cables and creating EMI. However what I was eventually told was that it was the alternator itself. Basically GM never really had a vehicle that has reved up to 7k RPM before, and instead of doing there homework and desinging an alternator made for this type of performance application, they just used the typical one you can find in most GM vehicles. So I'm not sure if the EMI story is still true, that when the engine was reving past 5k or so that the alternator was creating so much current it was causing EMI (Electromagnetic Interferance) with the computer. The shop foreman did tell me that the frequency wave readings from the alternator @ over 4500 rpms was very sparatic and not smooth and consistant at all.

In any case, they replaced the alternator within a couple of hours and now I can finally FEEL all the power I have heard about. It made a world of difference on the top end. Now all I have to do is go find that mustang that eluded me to this problem in the first place

If anyone has any specific questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Blitz_
Instructor

That's great news. Funny how things work... Enjoy!
Old 04-17-2007, 04:51 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe vaguely related to this:

"Some customers may comment of a "Service Charging System", "Service Electrical System" and/or a "Battery Voltage Low" message on the DIC accompanied by DTC P0621 in the PCM. This may be the result of a cut in the stator winding that is caused from a high RPM, usually because the engine hit the rev limiter. The internal fan is flexing and when it does flex, it comes into contact with the winding. A new one may do the same thing if the engine is up against the rev limiter a couple of times."
Old 04-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Glad you got it worked out/solved!

Ron
Old 04-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbrymer54
I can finally FEEL all the power I have heard about.
Thanks for the follow up. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by allanlaw
Allan,

Have you ever been on Jeopardy?
Old 04-17-2007, 04:59 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Hhmmm... I never had or heard of this problem with any of the C-5 Z06's !!!

I didn't adjust the rev limiter on either of my C-5's.. but I know of a few guys that moved theirs up.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:08 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allanlaw

"Some customers may comment of a "Service Charging System", "Service Electrical System" and/or a "Battery Voltage Low" message on the DIC accompanied by DTC P0621 in the PCM. This may be the result of a cut in the stator winding that is caused from a high RPM, usually because the engine hit the rev limiter. The internal fan is flexing and when it does flex, it comes into contact with the winding. A new one may do the same thing if the engine is up against the rev limiter a couple of times."

I suspect it's exactly related to this. I posted that I had this issue as well about 3 months ago, and believe that my fins have been clearanced by running it to redline a few times. However, the first time I took mine to redline, not only did I get the "Service Charging System" message, but the power in the upper range dropped off dramatically (easily felt).

In nosing around LS2edit tables, I note there is a speed limiter, for both normal (205 mph) and "fail" modes (80 mph). I'm guessing that when this fault code appears, it kicks it into fail mode and limits engine performance accordingly. Just a guess, and maybe there are other reasons the fault noted above limits engine performance.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Is the speculation that some small number of these alternators have defective internal connections that emit the EMI? Must be the case because the issue is quite rare.

Ranger
Old 04-17-2007, 05:36 PM
vettemaster1
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my early production z has been against the rev limiter alot....never missed a beat .....takes a lickin and keeps on tickin
Old 04-17-2007, 05:46 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Allan,

Have you ever been on Jeopardy?
No, but I usually feel like I'm IN Jeopardy. BTW getting the car ready for the track tomorrow and the car won't start - I forgot to leave it on the trickle charger for the last week or two, so leaving the doors open yesterday and today while installing the belts, etc. was enough to drain the battery (it's not dead, just tired enough so the engine won't fire).
Old 04-17-2007, 05:48 PM
VINZVET
Instructor

So has GM redesigned the alternator or just installing a new one with the same design??
V..
Old 04-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Cbrymer54
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ranger
Is the speculation that some small number of these alternators have defective internal connections that emit the EMI? Must be the case because the issue is quite rare.

Ranger
I didn't get exact details on the issue but I will request them for reference. I know that when I first went to the dealership with the problem, nobody had heard about this and there was no other reports, to the dealerships, with the same symptoms. However, about 2 months after the initial visit, there were apparently 5 other cases reported and I guess another dealer did some better troubleshooting and figured it to be the alternator. So far, in all the cases, the alternator was replaced and it fixed the problem immediatley. That is all I know so far.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Zred06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cbrymer54
I didn't get exact details on the issue but I will request them for reference. I know that when I first went to the dealership with the problem, nobody had heard about this and there was no other reports, to the dealerships, with the same symptoms. However, about 2 months after the initial visit, there were apparently 5 other cases reported and I guess another dealer did some better troubleshooting and figured it to be the alternator. So far, in all the cases, the alternator was replaced and it fixed the problem immediatley. That is all I know so far.
Did they replace your alternator with the same part number/alternator type?
Old 04-17-2007, 06:16 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Cbrymer54;1559861682]

Basically GM never really had a vehicle that has reved up to 7k RPM before, and instead of doing there homework and desinging an alternator made for this type of performance application, they just used the typical one you can find in most GM vehicles.

The ZR1 surely did. I think if they used the standard alternator, they must have assumed that it would take a little more.

Glad you got it corrected.

Last edited by outnumbered; 04-17-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:16 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VINZVET
So has GM redesigned the alternator or just installing a new one with the same design??
V..
Exactly, unless they have a 'new' improved alternator that can won't jumble the electronics at high rpm OR they just put the same thing in and crossed their fingers that it might behave differently?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:14 PM
9C1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going back even farther than the ZR1 -- the red line on the 1970-1972 LT1 (Gen I engine architecture) was 7K, and the alternator functioned fine at those speeds. No rev limiter in those days either. Valve float was the limiting factor.

I think Chevrolet has had enough experience with engines that will rev to 7K-- some of the current engineers may be too young to have been involved in those days, but that is another story. Maybe they slept through that part of class, or more likely the bean counters won another round.
Terry
Old 04-17-2007, 09:48 PM
teds427
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 14 Posts

Look at the pulley diameter of the old alternators and you can see why the could take the 7K shifts.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Loss Problem SOLVED!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 08:37 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Diel had a similar issue revving his 388ci LT4 to 8100 rpms. An underdrive ATI balancer and extra underdrive pulley on the alternator fixed this up nicely, not to mention free up 22 rwhp on a mustang dyno
Old 04-18-2007, 08:52 AM
kp@hp
Pro

Two weeks ago I had a brand new 07 with the same issue, at 5k rpm and above there was a audible spark type noise that the knock sensors were picking up and the pcm would pull up to 12 degrees of timming, After checking pretty much everything I borrowed a Alt from another z and the problem went away. The internal fan would flex just enough to contact the stator and the vibrations would transmit through the alt bracket into block and be pick up as spark knock..
www.hpperformancecorvettes.com
Old 04-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Cbrymer54
Advanced

Originally Posted by kp@hp
Two weeks ago I had a brand new 07 with the same issue, at 5k rpm and above there was a audible spark type noise that the knock sensors were picking up and the pcm would pull up to 12 degrees of timming, After checking pretty much everything I borrowed a Alt from another z and the problem went away. The internal fan would flex just enough to contact the stator and the vibrations would transmit through the alt bracket into block and be pick up as spark knock..
www.hpperformancecorvettes.com
There you go. Are more detailed description of what the "dealer techs" were trying to explain to me.

My only question is, is this something that typically wouldn't throw a code?? My service engine light never came on once.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Power Loss Problem SOLVED!!!