Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

PC 7424 review/long

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 08:18 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 914 Likes on 450 Posts

Default PC 7424 review/long

****Disclaimer. This review is from a novice****
This review is meant more for the person who has never used a PC, so everyone feel free to chime in with something if you disagree with anything I say.
No pics to post yet as I don't know if it's ever going to stop raining here?
I bought my 04 new in Nov. 04 and it has 11k miles on it with minor swirls/scratches. Zaino since new. I want it as close to perfect as possible. I wanted the ultimate detail and this is what I did.
Clayed car and was very happy. Upon close inspection I did have scratches/marring. I won't clay again unless I plan on polishing.
Started with the white pad and MIP with no success.
Went to the orange pad, much better. Did 3-4 passes on the hood and trunk, 2-3 passes on the sides. Speed 5.5-6
I was surprised and worried at this point that I didn't have a better finish.
Stayed with the orange pad and ZPC. I started to feel better after the first pass. I did three passes on the hood and trunk, and 2-3 passes on the sides. Speed 5.5-6
I tried a small area with a white pad and ZPC to see if it would help at this point and I didn't think it did anything.
Next up was Z5P/ZFX with the black or gray pad, I'm not sure which is correct. Ended up mixing up enough for about 2 1/2 coats. Speed 4.
Then Z2P/ZFX 2 coats each, on two different days, again with the black pad. Speed 4
Just because I have too much time on my hands right now, I am going to apply one coat of Z2P by hand and make sure I hit every small spot, sills, jambs, etc.
The good news is the car looks fantastic, the bad news is I am now afraid to drive it. Just kidding. I now know it is protected and will be easy to maintain.
I am going to end with ZCS.
Tips: I guess I am dense as I had some problems along the way.
I have read the reviews and watched some videos but still started out trying to do too large of an area at once. Confine your area to approximately 2'x2'. Don't be discouraged if you don't see instant results. I didn't have it in my head that I would or could do 3-4 passes without causing harm.
You definitely need good lighting.
I taped off a small area once I figured out I had to keep it small, but later just went to doing the small areas by eye. The tape was a pain.
What they say is true, this clear is tough stuff.
I had great luck with the orange pads, some will disagree.
I also liked applying the Z5/Z2 with the PC. I guarantee you I used an incredibly small amount of product!
Somebody said the only way to cause harm with a PC is to drop it on the car. Pretty good expression.
I advise anybody thinking about one of these to get one, work it hard, and don't worry about harming the clear.
Thanks to all, and especially Bugman for help along the way.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:43 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good review Steve.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-17-2007, 05:05 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

nice work, buddy ! That's money and time well spent, so that now you can do little spot corrections any time you want. Hey - get those pictures up !
Old 04-17-2007, 06:58 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Great review!
Old 04-17-2007, 10:15 PM
steve8
Race Director

Just to clarify a couple of points from some questions.
When I said 3 passes on the hood, I meant 3 separate coats on, 3 coats off. Translation, polish your car 3 times.
So just to be clear, I polished my whole car 3 times with menzerna.
I polished my entire car at least twice with ZPC.
I polished my entire car 2 1/2 times with Z5P
I polished my entire car 4 times with Z2P, all of the above with the PC.
I just added one coat of Z2P by hand.
I still have ZCS to go.
On each small area, which should be NO BIGGER than 2x2, work the polish in until it dries or almost dries. The menzerna would only be a couple of minutes/area, and created a good amount of dust.
I had a hard time sticking to such a small area, but rest assured this is the right way of doing it.
The way I did it and felt comfortable, was to do half the hood in about 8 sections then remove the polish, continue. The fender = 3-4 sections, etc. I completed one panel at a time before removing polish.
On the Z5 and Z2 I did the entire car before removing anything.
When I did the Z5 or Z2, I did cheat and did bigger areas than 2x2.
I have a vert and I masked off the entire top which was time well spent!
Any other questions, or comments, fire away.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:15 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Hey Steve...or anyone! I know this is an old thread, but I'm interested in the following:

1. You polished your car 5 times and I got the sense you still weren't happy with the removal of swirls. So, does anyone know how long it would've taken with a rotary?

2. You put 7 1/2 coats of Z2/Z5 on (combined). If these products are sealers rather than polishes...by that I mean they don't need to be worked into the paint...why use the 7424? Isn't it quicker and cheaper (absorption) to just use a cotton applicator and spread it?

This was a good accounting of what you did. It was in another thread as a link, and I couldn't help asking these questions. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:55 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, far better in my opinion to use the cotton applicator and apply Z5 or Z2 layers by hand , in my opinion, for the reason you mentioned. Easier to move the hand over the paint than to move a 10 pound buffer, for the same result.

For comparison, I once tried to remove some deep swirling and scratches on my hood - took > 2 hours to get good effect.

Same result in 20 minutes to do the entire trunk area by rotary.

The process with PC is very slow if you are trying to remove real scratching. If you can afford it, well worth it to know you've got the rotary available when needed.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:16 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bugman

The process with PC is very slow if you are trying to remove real scratching. If you can afford it, well worth it to know you've got the rotary available when needed.
bugman you just answered the question I've been asking in here for weeks about the dang difference and whether it's worth the risk. Seems the best method is if you do the car with the PC overall, but hit the tougher spots with the rotary. That way, you don't need to necessarily be near the edges, you don't need to feel like the entire car needs to be done with the rotary, and you can just pull it out when needed. Great!
Oh...the affording part.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:39 AM
steve8
Race Director

Originally Posted by IAIA
Hey Steve...or anyone! I know this is an old thread, but I'm interested in the following:

1. You polished your car 5 times and I got the sense you still weren't happy with the removal of swirls. So, does anyone know how long it would've taken with a rotary?

2. You put 7 1/2 coats of Z2/Z5 on (combined). If these products are sealers rather than polishes...by that I mean they don't need to be worked into the paint...why use the 7424? Isn't it quicker and cheaper (absorption) to just use a cotton applicator and spread it?

This was a good accounting of what you did. It was in another thread as a link, and I couldn't help asking these questions. Thanks.

I was very happy with the end results. I was talking about being ULTRA ULTRA picky, and having to look at just the right angle and lighting to see any imperfections when I was working at any of the steps.
I had said all along that I wanted to do the ultimate detail for me and a PC, and time and effort were of no concern to me. I admit, this was overkill, but to do this after 2 1/2 years of ownership was no big deal.
This was the first time I applied any Z with the PC. I guarantee you I used very little product. I just applied one quick coat of Z5P by hand and it was very easy.
The cost of a rotary would be the least of my concerns. Proper technique is the problem. In the hands of someone who knows what they are doing (not me) a rotary can do amazing things. The PC definitely takes a lot of work on a C5, but I'll probably stick with it.

Get notified of new replies

To PC 7424 review/long

Quick Reply: PC 7424 review/long