C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Okay then Jeep P/S box or Factory style?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Okay then Jeep P/S box or Factory style?

Okay, reading all the posts on converting to all the different power steering types. Which has the best road feel and not squirrelly, over active, one finger steering, yet able to park and make u-turns without busting the 14 1/2" smaller steering wheel? I think Steeroids is out as kind of expensive. I have the 327/365 SHP motor. I was leaning toward the factory bolt on but have read some threads on the Jeep box. Why is the Jeep box so special? Does it come as a complete kit? Vendor? Or is it basically the same feeling as the factory conversion?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:16 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensmith
Why is the Jeep box so special? :
The later ones have a fast steering ratio.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:44 PM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this is the Jeep box:
http://www.corvettesteering.com/corvette%20parts.htm

The thing I don't like about it is you must cut the shaft, possibly 4". Makes it difficult to go back to stock manual if you decide to later.

I am thinking about this for next year also. Non of the kits I have found Jeep or Steeriods include the pump and brackets, they all assume you are swapping out power steering. Sure would be nice to have a kit with everything.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:55 PM
squat12
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, reading all the posts on converting to all the different power steering types. Which has the best road feel and not squirrelly, over active, one finger steering, yet able to park and make u-turns without busting the 14 1/2" smaller steering wheel? I think Steeroids is out as kind of expensive. I have the 327/365 SHP motor. I was leaning toward the factory bolt on but have read some threads on the Jeep box. Why is the Jeep box so special? Does it come as a complete kit? Vendor? Or is it basically the same feeling as the factory conversion?
I have the Jeep box kit from corvettesteering.com, but I haven't installed it yet. I have read multiple threads on this and other webboards about the kit, and the only complaint about the Jeep box kit seems to be that the steering is too light. You hear the same complaint about Steeroids, however.

The kit I got has everything, including the power steering pump and attaching bracket for the pump. I had to buy the pulley for the pump separately from Paragon.

One fix that has been mentioned for the Steeriods kit, and I'm sure it would work as well for the Jeep box, is to install a restrictor on the pump output line to reduce the pressure. The problem with that is that you may wind up leaving yourself short of assist in an emergency steering manouver. Also, I've read that restricting the flow may cause the pump to overheat and die sooner than it would otherwise.

My plan is to purchase this device:

http://heidts.com/heip27.htm#power

... which redirects a user-determined amount of steering boost back to the pump, which should take care of the problem of overheating the pump, at least.

Useful links for you:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=heidt%27s
http://www.krcpower.com/trouble.ivnu
http://www.russellperformance.com/au...eer_hose.shtml
Old 04-17-2007, 01:23 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Geeezzz, the more I read the more I don't understand power steering. I do want power assist but I am not an engineer and don't feel like tuning the system. I like the Heidts adjustable valve but not sure what system it was designed for? Looks like a rack system. I'm thinking the old original Corvette system is as good as any. Maybe I will just have to try it and see if I can get use to it. If not, try something else or just scrap it and go back to no power?
Old 04-17-2007, 02:52 AM
327Heaven
Drifting

Geeezzz, the more I read the more I don't understand power steering. I do want power assist but I am not an engineer and don't feel like tuning the system. I like the Heidts adjustable valve but not sure what system it was designed for? Looks like a rack system. I'm thinking the old original Corvette system is as good as any. Maybe I will just have to try it and see if I can get use to it. If not, try something else or just scrap it and go back to no power?

I'm in the same boat. I guess power steering design and components have come a long way from when our rides were considered the cutting edge way back when. I've changed everything in my power steering system but still am totally disatisfied with the vague road feel of my vette and that's with running 255/17's in the front. Funny how back in the sixties I had no problems manuvering my 427/450 coupe without power steering. The steering feedback actually felt pretty good back then........but, what did I know then and am I expecting too much now in my old age? Heck, even my 2006 F-150 can steer rings around my baby
Old 04-17-2007, 04:52 AM
Joys
Instructor

On my -66 convertible I have installed a power steering gearbox from Concept One, this one is much like the Jeep-box exept it is much more like the original both in size and appearance. It comes with a pitman-arm designed to hook on to the stock manual linkage. Like the Jeep-box I had to cut the steering-wheel shaft but only about one inch. It also comes with a new rag-coupling and does not use a universal joint on the input shaft since it is not as long as the Jeep-type. It does come with pressure and return hose but no pump & bracket. It can be had with either 12,5 or 14.0:1 ratio, I have the 14.0:1 ratio and are very happy with that, actually I am using the inboard tie-rod holes on the spindle. I think this box is giving an exellent road-feel and I don't find it to light. My car has 215/65-15 tires and a 327 L79/TKO600. Front end is aligned to Pete Z spec's (caster +2.8) and steering wheel return is exellent. I can recommend this box as an alternativ to the other brands available for the C-2.

By the way KenSmith, did you figure out the lean on your car? I have the same issue on my car and frame seems straight along with all the rest of the suspension stuff.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:08 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I put good old stock P/S in 2 of my vettes My 69 and 66. What's wrong with the orig setup. It bolts right in and is simple to remove if you ever wanted to. Unless your going to race on a track like Lime Rock or Sebring, I don't know what the big deal is.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:08 AM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by aworks
I put good old stock P/S in 2 of my vettes My 69 and 66. What's wrong with the orig setup. It bolts right in and is simple to remove if you ever wanted to. Unless your going to race on a track like Lime Rock or Sebring, I don't know what the big deal is.
I agree with aworks. I don't understand all this aftermarket power steering stuff. What's wrong with the original GM setup? If your original steering components are in good condition, the car will drive and handle very well, and you won't be chopping up yet another old Corvette.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Critter1
I agree with aworks. I don't understand all this aftermarket power steering stuff. What's wrong with the original GM setup? If your original steering components are in good condition, the car will drive and handle very well, and you won't be chopping up yet another old Corvette.
This was my intention. But I keep reading how bad the road feel is with original power steering. So I was looking for alternatives. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone and go with the stock setup. I really don't like the idea of cutting up anything on my car.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

By the way KenSmith, did you figure out the lean on your car? I have the same issue on my car and frame seems straight along with all the rest of the suspension stuff.

Still in the shop at MSI with the rear end out. Once I get another rear end in it, they will work on the suspension and weigh all for corners to see what the lean problem is. Taking one step at a time but they will figure it out I am sure. I will post the findings for sure as I had many forum members with the same issues.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:32 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 327Heaven
I've changed everything in my power steering system but still am totally disatisfied with the vague road feel of my vette and that's with running 255/17's in the front. Funny how back in the sixties I had no problems manuvering my 427/450 coupe without power steering. The steering feedback actually felt pretty good back then........
IMO if you go back to smaller front tires the sixties feeling will return. I have 215-60-15s on my car and the feel and feedback are excellent, just like it was with the 195-75-15s that replaced the 7.75-15s that the car came with.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

I don't know what the deal is with factory components either. I've had several P/S equiped Corvettes that I competitively autocrossed with the Guldstrand club, and if the steering box is built correctly, and your components are all fine including having the 55# spring in the control valve and not the later 45# spring, the steering in my opinion is very, very good.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
I don't know what the deal is with factory components either. I've had several P/S equiped Corvettes that I competitively autocrossed with the Guldstrand club, and if the steering box is built correctly, and your components are all fine including having the 55# spring in the control valve and not the later 45# spring, the steering in my opinion is very, very good.
Scott,

How do you know which spring is in the conversion kits that are sold from various vendors? I am running 215/70R 15 tires.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 04-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

That is the problem Ken you don't often know what is in there. A "X" designator on the control valve end cap used to be indictive of one or the other, sorry but my memory escapes me at the moment. GM went to the 45# spring when wider tires were starting to be used on the C3s, it reduced the road feel with the wider tires. VB&P will build you one if requested when you order a rebuilt control valve and they will adjust it on the bench for you. If your car is lowered at all, you might want to consider a Guldstrand or VB&P bump steer kit as well.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

That is the problem Ken you don't often know what is in there. A "X" designator on the control valve end cap used to be indictive of one or the other, sorry but my memory escapes me at the moment. GM went to the 45# spring when wider tires were starting to be used on the C3s, it reduced the road feel with the wider tires. VB&P will build you one if requested when you order a rebuilt control valve and they will adjust it on the bench for you. If your car is lowered at all, you might want to consider a Guldstrand or VB&P bump steer kit as well.
Scott,

Car is stock suspension. Maybe I can start a new thread on this control valve to see if anyone knows how to tell the difference. One of the forum members in the C3 parts section has a great sale on conversion kits and I was thinking of buying from him.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 04-17-2007, 04:24 PM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott,

Car is stock suspension. Maybe I can start a new thread on this control valve to see if anyone knows how to tell the difference. One of the forum members in the C3 parts section has a great sale on conversion kits and I was thinking of buying from him.

Thanks,

Ken
Do you have a link to his kit?

Get notified of new replies

To Okay then Jeep P/S box or Factory style?

Old 04-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

My point on the identifier was that even if it had the #55 pound identifier, there is no guarantee that it has that spring installed since most of these units have been rebuilt with the new #45 spring. The overhaul manual clearly shows the identifiers and lists the applications for passenger cars vs Corvettes. There are plenty of threads with this info already in it, I think John Z may have even posted photos.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

My point on the identifier was that even if it had the #55 pound identifier, there is no guarantee that it has that spring installed since most of these units have been rebuilt with the new #45 spring. The overhaul manual clearly shows the identifiers and lists the applications for passenger cars vs Corvettes. There are plenty of threads with this info already in it, I think John Z may have even posted photos.
Maybe John will know. I will PM him and see if he has some go insight on this. I sure would like to get the #55 if it is less responsive than th #45.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:26 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Isn't this forum great, it is so full of good information that sometimes it can be confusing and frustrating.

So here goes another opinion. I have been running the Jeep box since before it was in kit form, been coast to coast with it, entered 5 autocrosses with it and won all 5 of them. I run 245/45/17 tires on 7 inch wide wheels. It is in the fast holes on the steering arms and the steering feel is great, not twitchy or to quick. I added offset upper a arms last year so I could put 4.5 degrees positive caster, which improved directional stability at 80 plus.

The problem with the stock power assist system is that it is a catchup system. Works fine on smooth pavement but works in reverse on rough or uneven road. ( Turn the steering wheel it opens the valve and tells the assist to help steer the car good concept. Now for the problem when the tires hits a rut or high spot in the road, the rut moves the tire against the valve telling the assist to steer the wheel in the other direction than you want to go. So then you have to make a correction in the other direction, so on a rough road you are always chasing the car.)

There is no way the stock vette power assist system is ever as good as a modern day power steering box.

Been modifying my swc for 37 years and the Jeep box is the single best mod on the car and would be the last to go.

Sorry, a little wordy Jeff

Quick Reply: Okay then Jeep P/S box or Factory style?