C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rusted quick-disconnect fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 06:15 PM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Rusted quick-disconnect fuel lines

And so continues the saga that is my lemon of a corvette

[cliff notes]
Faulty fuel lines' quick disconnect fittings have corroded, causing catastrophic failure.
I need to know if anyone knows where I can find some replacement passenger side hoses.
Does anyone know of a TSB/Recall?
[/cliff notes]

I was driving to work on monday when I noticed a fuel smell and the car started misfiring. I didn't make a connection and figured it was misfiring because my headers had perhaps burned my MSD wires; it was raining out.

Wrong.

About 30 seconds later, I noticed that my fuel had gone from 1/2 tank to 1/4 tank since I'd last remembered looking at the gauge. I immediately turned around to head back home. As I went around a corner my car almost spun..... this was when I realized (kinda) what was going on.

Made it about a mile (to a gas station) and pulled into the gas station with my DIC indicating reserve fuel.

As I stepped out of the car, I noticed fuel spraying on the ground directly in front of my driver's side tire (thus the reason the car stepped VERY sideways when going around a turn at a resonably slow speed/low lateral acceleration).

I immediately turned the car off and called a wrecker, figuring the quick disconnect had come loose at the fuel filter.

When he showed up, he jacked up the back of the car so I could see if the quick disconn was the problem so I could just put it back in place and drive the car home.

No such luck...

Apparently my the quick disconnect fittings at the end of the rubber hoses exiting the sending unit have corroded, this on a car which has no other corrosion that I can find. On the driver's side it looks almost like galvanic corrosion.

Driver's side:

Passenger side:

I ordered the three driver's side lines from Gene Culley yesterday. Given that it appears at least one of my passenger's side units may give me a prob in the near future, I wanted to order that, too, but he stated it is DISCONTINUED.

Quite frankly, this car is testing my patience. I have fixed approximately 30 issues on it in the one year I've owned it. Many have been attributable to the ignorance of the prior owner, but as of late, it's beginning to be probs related to defective GM manufacturing.

My questions:

Does anyone know where I can find some new passenger side replacement hoses?

Does anyone have any used (non-corroded) ones they'd be willing to part with?

Has anyone pieced together some replacements from components?

Is anyone aware of a recall/TSB on this? I couldn't find one.

TIA.

Last edited by nitrojunky; 02-21-2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: someone removed my images.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:44 PM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Wow that is bad. Where was your car originally from? I see you are in TX but I doubt the car has been in TX it's whole life
Old 04-14-2007, 08:14 PM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

The car spent some time up north, however the rest of the car looks like it was garaged, i.e. there is no rust on any of the suspension bolts, engine bolts, etc. I've had quite a bit of the car apart now, and it appears to be in very good shape, corrosion-wise. The fuel lines they connect are dirty but rust-free.

The oxidation appears to be isolated to just the quick disconnect fittings on the rubber lines.

I'm curious if anyone else has run into this.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:21 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,178 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrojunky
And so continues the saga that is my lemon of a corvette

[cliff notes]
Faulty fuel lines' quick disconnect fittings have corroded, causing catastrophic failure.
I need to know if anyone knows where I can find some replacement passenger side hoses.
Does anyone know of a TSB/Recall?
[/cliff notes]

I was driving to work on monday when I noticed a fuel smell and the car started misfiring. I didn't make a connection and figured it was misfiring because my headers had perhaps burned my MSD wires; it was raining out.

Wrong.

About 30 seconds later, I noticed that my fuel had gone from 1/2 tank to 1/4 tank since I'd last remembered looking at the gauge. I immediately turned around to head back home. As I went around a corner my car almost spun..... this was when I realized (kinda) what was going on.

Made it about a mile (to a gas station) and pulled into the gas station with my DIC indicating reserve fuel.

As I stepped out of the car, I noticed fuel spraying on the ground directly in front of my driver's side tire (thus the reason the car stepped VERY sideways when going around a turn at a resonably slow speed/low lateral acceleration).

I immediately turned the car off and called a wrecker, figuring the quick disconnect had come loose at the fuel filter.

When he showed up, he jacked up the back of the car so I could see if the quick disconn was the problem so I could just put it back in place and drive the car home.

No such luck...

Apparently my the quick disconnect fittings at the end of the rubber hoses exiting the sending unit have corroded, this on a car which has no other corrosion that I can find. On the driver's side it looks almost like galvanic corrosion.

Driver's side:

Passenger side:

I ordered the three driver's side lines from Gene Culley yesterday. Given that it appears at least one of my passenger's side units may give me a prob in the near future, I wanted to order that, too, but he stated it is DISCONTINUED.

Quite frankly, this car is testing my patience. I have fixed approximately 30 issues on it in the one year I've owned it. Many have been attributable to the ignorance of the prior owner, but as of late, it's beginning to be probs related to defective GM manufacturing.

My questions:

Does anyone know where I can find some new passenger side replacement hoses?

Does anyone have any used (non-corroded) ones they'd be willing to part with?

Has anyone pieced together some replacements from components?

Is anyone aware of a recall/TSB on this? I couldn't find one.

TIA.
Just so you know your not alone...if it were my car that was leaking I might have been tempted to light up a cigarette and walk away (and I don't even smoke)

Keep the faith..it'll work out.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:38 PM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Just so you know your not alone...if it were my car that was leaking I might have been tempted to light up a cigarette and walk away (and I don't even smoke)

Keep the faith..it'll work out.
Thanks. I'm getting close to taking up smoking

If you knew my experiences with this car, you'd probably be encouraging me to park it on the bad side of town with the keys in the ingnition... but it would probably break down on the thieves before they got more than a block.

Seriously, tho... anyone know where I can pick up a set of the passenger side hoses? Dealers, vendors have any input?
Old 04-14-2007, 08:44 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try here:

http://www.geneskarshop.com/

BTW, those tie wraps, insulation and caps things are not present on my car.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:38 PM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FRCTony
Try here:

http://www.geneskarshop.com/

Thanks for the info; I'll give them a call on monday and/or email them w/ pics tonight. When I saw the wire ties, I immediately thought the idiot prior owner had done this, too... but then I saw the ties+rubber surrounds on all the hoses and it kinda looked professionally done. Anyone else have/don't have these?
Old 04-14-2007, 10:17 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by FRCTony
Not on mine either. Looks homemade. (At least the insulation/ty-wrap part). Those caps look like they're tailor made to trap water, etc.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:23 PM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Not on mine either. Looks homemade.
Great. So it looks like I attribute another failure to one of the prior owners This job looks very professional, tho. Maybe I'll figure out the reason why they were installed once I pulle the lines off.........

I'm beginning to believe they should license tool ownership.

Actually, I do see a mid-1997 fuel pump recall; I wonder if the dealer did this if/when they replaced the pumps. Those hoses appear to have been there for quite a while.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Very interesting, I've never seen anything like that. Let us know what you find out.

Dope
Old 04-14-2007, 10:32 PM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Guys, the rubber tubing+caps trapping water does make sense. I'm curious what I'm going to find under the tubing when I remove it. I'll be pulling the lines off the car (well, the d/s, anyway) then the Gene Culley parts arrive.

Originally Posted by Dope
Very interesting, I've never seen anything like that. Let us know what you find out.

Dope
This always seems to get said when I post probs I have with this car

Old 04-17-2007, 07:11 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

The lines themseves should be pre-molded nylon. Mine are.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:09 PM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

I got a private message from another mbr saying the same thing. Gotta love pre-production cars

Hopefully my new lines will be in soon. Driving a 15 year old honda with no a/c is NOT fun.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:28 AM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Finally received the new lines and installed them tonight. OEM pieces... they were exactly what came out, including the wire ties, shielding stuff, and rubber caps. Hopefully this prob won't rear its head for another 10 years I had to drop the ds tank to install the lines, so the job turned into a big pita.

Haven't decided what I'm going to do with the passenger side yet. I found some replacement ends + hose at a local autozone... I think I'll just buy them and splice them in on the passenger side.

Get notified of new replies

To Rusted quick-disconnect fuel lines

Quick Reply: Rusted quick-disconnect fuel lines