Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Harness Bar Mounting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 02:26 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Harness Bar Mounting?

Those who use a harness bar on the C6Z06, what kind did you use and how did it mount?

Unlike the C5, the C6Z06 mounts are hidden under a plastic cover that can't just be "popped" off like the C5 with the actual piller plastic cover intact.

It seems you have to take the whole thing apart...not something I am happy with on a $70k car.

I am looking at the hardbar, does anyone have any pics of what it looks like?

Experiences? Do you have to cut the plastic cover or just drive around with it removed?
Old 04-04-2007, 03:43 PM
MRZ5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pics

here is a pic of my car with a shark bar

www.mrzplumbing.com/zo6

its there somewhere
Old 04-04-2007, 03:52 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Those who use a harness bar on the C6Z06, what kind did you use and how did it mount?
I use a Shark Bar, which was the first to become available. B-K has theirs out now (very expensive) and so does Hardbar. I had to take off the trim panels, cut a 2" hole in each one and then put them back. No biggy - you can to the install yourself if you work slowly and carefully. There is one pesky connection near the rear speakers that requires extra care - I broke one taking off a panel, but a little epoxy and it was as good as new.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by allanlaw
I use a Shark Bar, which was the first to become available. B-K has theirs out now (very expensive) and so does Hardbar. I had to take off the trim panels, cut a 2" hole in each one and then put them back. No biggy - you can to the install yourself if you work slowly and carefully. There is one pesky connection near the rear speakers that requires extra care - I broke one taking off a panel, but a little epoxy and it was as good as new.
Hardbar is the same--need to cut two 21/8 holes in the plastic trim panels
Old 04-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z11409
Hardbar is the same--need to cut two 21/8 holes in the plastic trim panels
You can buy pre-cut panels with holes. If you ever want to remove the bar, you can restore it to factory form. Or just buy new panels later on as well.

Mike
Old 04-04-2007, 04:38 PM
COBrien
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
You can buy pre-cut panels with holes. If you ever want to remove the bar, you can restore it to factory form. Or just buy new panels later on as well.
Mike
Yep, this is what I did with the SharkBar. Just go with the pre-cut panels, and save your stock ones in case you ever sell the car. The install takes some time, but isn't bad. Basically it's:

- Remove interior panels
- Remove seat belt retractors
- Install SharkBar mounting bracket
- Reinstall seat belt retractors
- Install SharkBar and panels

Took me about 4 hours working on my own at a leisurely pace. Much of that time was spent figuring out how to remove the panels without destroying anything, and then playing around trying to get the bar positioned in the car. That step would go quite a bit easier with a little bit of help, but it's doable on your own.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:41 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where do you get the pre-cut panels? link?
Old 04-04-2007, 04:52 PM
COBrien
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran

I ordered everything from SpeedDirect.com: bar, panels, etc.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:53 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Sharkbar here also. Here are some pictures of my install, no big deal just take your time plus Dan from Vetteworks is a big help if you have any problems. Or give any of us a call if you need help. JD

Old 04-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There are a few places....here's one:

http://www.vetteworksonline.com/cata...roducts_id/127

Mike
Old 04-04-2007, 05:13 PM
DoingOK
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
CI VIII Car Show Winner

Not that hard to do....take your time. I opted for the ultra sturdy Brey-Krause bar. Top notch quality.
Cobra4B helped me install it.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:39 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with all of these installations is that they preclude using a HANS device. The shoulder straps are supposed to have not more that 3" between the inside of the webbing straps where they go around the harness bar/attachment point and then go straight forward to the driver. The harness shoulder straps are much too wide when they go around the outside of the stock seat. A sternum strap will not resolve this dilema completely. This probably also reduces the effectiveness of the harness system even without the HANS.

I would suggest considering wearing the stock belts over the harness. I do even though I have Recaros with harnesses because the car/airbag system looks for seatbelt tension on impact (God forbid). When driving I can't tell it is there.

Is there any safety reason not to wear the stock seat belts over a harness? Escape time might be one...

Old 04-04-2007, 08:31 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kentz06
Is there any safety reason not to wear the stock seat belts over a harness? Escape time might be one...
Old 04-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Bristol
Racer

Default Sharkbar, Hardbar, and Brey-Krause

Originally Posted by allanlaw
I was just wondering whether any of the sponsoring members provide a discount on the hardness bars? The purchase would involve the harness bar, six point harness and seat attachments.

The whole setup!
Old 04-04-2007, 10:20 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Dan at Vetteworks will usually do something for forum members. Give him a call and see what he can do on your package. JD
Old 04-04-2007, 10:33 PM
COBrien
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Dan at Vetteworks will usually do something for forum members. Give him a call and see what he can do on your package. JD

Dan is extremely helpful. In fact, I called him with a couple of stupid questions while doing my install last year, and he took the time to answer them, even though he was on vacation at the time. I'd definitely suggest giving him a call.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:23 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by COBrien
Dan is extremely helpful.
Dan is a prince . . .

Get notified of new replies

To Harness Bar Mounting?

Old 04-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kentz06
The problem with all of these installations is that they preclude using a HANS device. The shoulder straps are supposed to have not more that 3" between the inside of the webbing straps where they go around the harness bar/attachment point and then go straight forward to the driver. The harness shoulder straps are much too wide when they go around the outside of the stock seat. A sternum strap will not resolve this dilema completely. This probably also reduces the effectiveness of the harness system even without the HANS.

I would suggest considering wearing the stock belts over the harness. I do even though I have Recaros with harnesses because the car/airbag system looks for seatbelt tension on impact (God forbid). When driving I can't tell it is there.

Not so. I have the Brey-Krauss Bar and then added seat pass-through grommets to allow the precise measurements of HANS. That said, I will probably NOT get a HANS for a variety of reasons.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:59 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mako7
Not so. I have the Brey-Krauss Bar and then added seat pass-through grommets to allow the precise measurements of HANS. That said, I will probably NOT get a HANS for a variety of reasons.
We offer our own Harness bar as well as the Hardbar and Brey-Kraus. Like all of them it does require a hole in each of your plastic trim panels. Idealy you want your harness bar to be at or slightly below the top of your shoulder blades. If it is too high then the shoulder harness (and HANS) don't work very well. Much too low and you risk a compression injury to your back. The Hardbar is for the guys that are really tall in the torso, then the shark & B/K. Our bar is suited for 5' 10" and shorter guys. If you are serious about tracking your car then you should be replacing your seat as well. It is not only a safety issue, it is a performance mod too.

I'm courious why you wouldn't wear a HANS, when you have eliminated the main reason why stock seat guys can't wear a HANS.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:03 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JDIllon

FYI:

Your sub straps are mounted totally wrong!!!
They should be routed back to near (or at) the point that you have your lap belts mounted to. You should be sitting on your (6 point) sub straps not have them routed over the front of the seat. They are almost useless when routed over the top front of the seat.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Harness Bar Mounting?