Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Advice on Kenwood DVD/NAV

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 04:10 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Default Advice on Kenwood DVD/NAV

Okay folks, on advice from members here (pentavolvo, I think) I've settled on getting the Kenwood head. Which one?

On another forum I was told the older model heads had pretty horrible iPod control but that the later models were much better.

Is the P-NAV6019 a newer or older model?
What about the DNX7100?

I'm also wondering about going with the DNX7100 because it is an all-in-one unit where the P-NAV is a DVD head with a plug in NAV module. I don't know how soon I'll need to update my GPS but it seems it would be easier with the SD card on the separate unit.

I'm looking at $300 difference between them so any advice you have on these will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 03-31-2007, 06:22 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Ok i have to look to see which model is whcih because i dont know off hand. I do know that the unit with seperate gps unit (older i assume) works great but the ipod control does suck, so my suggestion is either setup playlists which works pretty good or just wire it so you control everything from the ipod
Old 04-01-2007, 08:32 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Default head chosen, now on to the amp and sub....

Okay, looks like I can buy the DDX8019 plus the external NAV (KNA-G510) for about the same price as the all in one (DNX7100). The 8019 is the one that is advertised as the FASTEST iPod control.

Bear with me PLEASE, I'm almost there.

Door components are no problem, looks like almost any hi end choice will be good.

Help me on my amp and sub. I waded through so many on line that I'm blind and more stupid than when I started. My biggest concerns are to fit it behind the passenger seat and to choose one four channel amp that can properly drive the doors and the sub. Here's where I think I want to go: I was looking for about 100W RMS for the front channels and use the rears (bridged or unbridged) for the sub. I think I want a 10" sub for fitment. The JL 10W3 seems very popular. So, how much power do I need to make it hit (I'm not trying to rattle windows) crisply? Do I get a dual 2ohm and wire each coil to separate rear channels for 200W RMS total?

I really appreciate your advise here. I only want to do this once and don't mind spending a little extra to be sure.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:21 PM
jj_adams319
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the DNX-7100.
I am very please with how it turned out. I like it cuz it's all-in-one....bluetooth, ipod, dvd, nav, sat radio, HD radio.

Last edited by jj_adams319; 04-16-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:24 PM
BearCreekC6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the DNX7100 installed. My only complaints are the clock is not on nav screen when being directed or on the XM screen. Also, I can't change XM stations on the nav screen........

Old 04-18-2007, 12:10 AM
Rick Radcliffe
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Big favor to ask...

Would someone be willing to set up a podcast (PM me if you need to know what that is) on their iPod and then show me how it works on the Kenwood? I am looking for a complete system for my 98 and the biggest stumbling block for me is Podcasts (think TiVo for talk radio.) That is basically what I listen to on my 65 mile each way commute with some music once in a while. I did not own any CDs until I bought my 98 and had to make some to keep from going crazy. I need a deck that recognizes Podcasts natively (not as a playlist... there are just too many of them on my iPod for that) and is easy to navigate.

I have a Kenwood deck in my truck and it can only see the iPod as a 10-disc changer which means 10 playlists. HORRIBLE!!! I don't have time to play with thousands of tracks. That is why I got the iPod.

If I had my way, I would have a hard drive in the head unit for all of my music and an iPod that plugged into the front of the unit for Podcasts and updating my music library. Come to think of it, a deck with WiFi that updated itself when I got home would be perfect. Any electronics geniuses out there want to build one?

Thanks for the help.

Rad

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on Kenwood DVD/NAV

Quick Reply: Advice on Kenwood DVD/NAV