C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transparent roof as a fall back to painted roof separation issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 05:36 AM
BernieR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transparent roof as a fall back to painted roof separation issue

Gentlemen,

This topic probably has been covered before ...but I wanted to get the latest opinions/facts from some knowledgeable Forum members...

--Have had the Roof Recall notice for my '06 coupe with a painted removable roof panel....in December '06
--Had the adhesive thing done by the dealer...January '07
--Roof still makes loud noises, paricularly initiallly in the morning
--Back to the dealer to get a new roof
--Yack yack but no action yet
--As a fall back positiopn I'll get a transparent roof which I wanted anyway and just take the painted roof off until I can get the issue resolved.

--DO NOT want to experience roof separation at triple digits

Therefore two questions...

1) Where/Who is best place (I would assume from Forum Sponsoring Dealers) to get a new transparent roof?

2) What is the mechanism for getting an SMC from GM (free of course as a warranty replacement item) roof which has corrected the roof separation issue?

Thanks Bernie
Old 03-31-2007, 07:10 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

1. The only place I recommend for the transparent roof panel is Gene at the GMpartshouse.com. Best price I've seen for the panel.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=5210

2. Regarding the replacement roof panel first and foremost you need a dealer that understands what is going on with the panel. You have had the recall and the foam fix. As sad as this is, this recall is being handled differently by different dealers. Some are immediately ordering a new roof. Others continue to try the foam fix which has shown to be mostly ineffective on a roof that is predestined to fail. The recall and TSB give them some latitude. The dealer is to inspect the roof. If it doesn't show any signs of separation they are to inject foam. If it shows signs of they are to order a new roof. You could encourage the panel to separate a small amount and then it will be automatic, they will have to order a new roof. The recall can be read here:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/....php?qstId=625

Paul

Last edited by talon90; 03-31-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:27 AM
BernieR
Racer

Default Thanks Paul

Originally Posted by talon90
1. The only place I recommend for the transparent roof panel is Gene at the GMpartshouse.com. Best price I've seen for the panel.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=5210

2. Regarding the replacement roof panel first and foremost you need a dealer that understands what is going on with the panel. You have had the recall and the foam fix. As sad as this is, this recall is being handled differently by different dealers. Some are immediately ordering a new roof. Others continue to try the foam fix which has shown to be mostly ineffective on a roof that is predestined to fail. The recall and TSB give them some latitude. The dealer is to inspect the roof. If it doesn't show any signs of separation they are to inject foam. If it shows signs of they are to order a new roof. You could encourage the panel to separate a small amount and then it will be automatic, they will have to order a new roof. The recall can be read hear:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/....php?qstId=625

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the advice...I gotta admit that I'm frustrated with this issue.

I thought that I would get a new roof ( the SMC new design which comes on the '07's) rather than this run-around with foam injection, which in my roofs case didn't work. I really don't have the time or patience to lobby at the dealer ... but I guess that's what it takes...perseverance..."squeaky wheel gets the oil" syndrome!!

You've armed me with enough info to proceed. Thanks again man!
Old 03-31-2007, 08:09 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Call Gene Cully from http://www.gmpartshouse.com/ @ 610-862-0550

I paid $1240 shipped for a brand new OEM lexan top. That's what I did last year when my solid rood started making the "death rattle".

You won't do better in terms of price, shipping and service.

Tom
Old 03-31-2007, 02:23 PM
BlackMark
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once you put on the transparent top your painted top woes will be forgotten,as you probably will not use it again! As another option should you not choose to deal with the dealer and their body shop choice,the unpainted SMC top is only $481. from Gene Culley,and you can take it to a bodyshop you know and trust for painting and hardware changover.You will probably be into it total for less than $1K.This is the route I plan to take,though I love my trans top.I would like to have the option of the painted top as well, without concern for seperation despite the foam fix.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:36 PM
BernieR
Racer

Default Thanks Tom...I'm going to call Gene first thing Monday

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Call Gene Cully from http://www.gmpartshouse.com/ @ 610-862-0550

I paid $1240 shipped for a brand new OEM lexan top. That's what I did last year when my solid rood started making the "death rattle".

You won't do better in terms of price, shipping and service.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I'm going to get the order to Gene in first thing Monday Morning. A big delta$ between Gene's price and PFYC, i.e., $1240 vs $1680!

Thanks again,

Bernie
Old 03-31-2007, 02:39 PM
BernieR
Racer

Default Way to go, yes

Originally Posted by BlackMark
Once you put on the transparent top your painted top woes will be forgotten,as you probably will not use it again! As another option should you not choose to deal with the dealer and their body shop choice,the unpainted SMC top is only $481. from Gene Culley,and you can take it to a bodyshop you know and trust for painting and hardware changover.You will probably be into it total for less than $1K.This is the route I plan to take,though I love my trans top.I would like to have the option of the painted top as well, without concern for seperation despite the foam fix.

Black Mark, yes that's a good idea that'll save some bread, assuming the dealer is going to stonewall me getting a new style (SMC) roof...

Thanks and Best Regards,

Bernie
Old 03-31-2007, 06:19 PM
Irv
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my local dealers, Russ Chevrolet, just tried to tell me all GM will only allow is the foam fix on a separated roof. They claimed GM had to give them special permission to replace a roof, and I had to pursue the issue with GM myself. After a short and useless discussion I picked the roof up. The only Chevy dealer in the area that knows how spell Corvette in Portland is halfway to Mt Hood, and only open weekdays until 5:00. Buying a transparent roof was a good investment. Though I dislike it, I suspect I'll be using it for a long time.

Last edited by Irv; 04-01-2007 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:29 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Don't forget that alot of clear roofs are noisy too. C5 and 6. The roofs are not custom fit to each car, and creaks and noises are common, especially with temperature changes and chassis flex. Silicone helps.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:02 PM
BernieR
Racer

Default Thanks to all who have responded....you guys are great!!

Thanks gentlemen, I'm ordering a new transparent roof from from Gene Monday..

And taking the painted (creaky bastanio!!) roof off and giving/thrusting it to the dealer for a new SMC roof.....I know that'll take time and lobbying but at least I'll have a better roof immediately and possibly a second one if I get lucky with my lobbying and letter writing efforts!!

(I.E., I'll campaign with Chevrolet Zone and also call the 800 no. in Bowling Green to complain....Do any of you guys know a name down there in Customer Service...who has some "juice" and is not just another agreeable clerk??)

Once again, the knowledgeable responses from you guys is invaluable...the Corvette Forum is a great support network!!

Cheers,
Old 03-31-2007, 10:15 PM
KevinDavid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlackMark
Love my transparent roof, the only way to go.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:40 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinDavid
But not where it's real hot, eh?

I can't use it from Mar/Apr to October or so.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Thank you for your recommendations guys. Bernie did call me and we did get him a new top on the way!

Thanks, Gene.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 04-03-2007, 10:22 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Got my GM transparent top at a great price brand new for $800.00
The only thing is that you have less insulation with the glass top so noise and heat will be affected. I do notice that the car fogs up alot less with transparent top vs. painted. top.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:58 AM
C6Brian
Racer

Gene,

Is the hardware on the new transparent top the same as my stock painted top? Also, do your tops come fully assembled or do I need to put them together? One more question, does the fitment of the transparent top match the painted top I already have, or will it be more like a universal fit not as good as the oem top from the factory. I plan on getting one very soon, so any help would be appreciated and your prices seem very fair.

Brian
Old 04-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Nueboch
Burning Brakes

Same here, put it on, stored the solid top and never looked back.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:05 AM
MN CHOPPER
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get notified of new replies

To Transparent roof as a fall back to painted roof separation issue

Old 04-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Lebowski
Burning Brakes

If you make a stink with your dealer, you should have no problem getting them to give you a new SMC top, especially since yours has been foamed once and still has issues.

I went through the same process (didn't have roof separation but wanted to resolve the issue BEFORE the roof flew off) last summer - huge pain in the ***. I ended up buying a transparent top from fred beans and a shade for it from DownSouthVettes, my local dealer eventually gave me a SMC top which now sits in my closet.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:17 AM
kyle0k
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BernieR
Gentlemen,
--DO NOT want to experience roof separation at triple digits
One way to solve this is opening up the side windows liek an inch. It will still make noise in the 110+ but will not fly off.(until maybe at much faster speeds, but got to 125 or so with no problem)
Old 04-03-2007, 11:57 AM
epica27
Intermediate

i would love a painted top for my c6 velocity yellow. anyone have info on purchasing a hard top?

Quick Reply: Transparent roof as a fall back to painted roof separation issue