C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How to Remove Rust Easily... Cool stuff

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:53 PM
93*Corvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Remove Rust Easily... Cool stuff

I posted this in the C4 area, thought you guys would like it too....

I thought this was cool. The video shows the easy way
to remove rust from a part. No Smoking....
(Mustang owners, please use a swimming pool)

http://www.metacafe.com/w/456478/
Old 03-27-2007, 12:07 AM
al329
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it is cool. Loads of sites out there dealing with electrolysis. WARNING... I have seen site recommend using stainless steel in the process. Check this guys site out a great source for more info...plus he hits the science of why NOT to use SS.

http://www.antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

Even did a trailer frame.

http://www.antique-engines.com/trailer-electrolysis.htm
Old 03-27-2007, 02:49 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

In the video he used a upper A-Frame to show rust removal the chemical way. I think I heard him say 48 hours to do the total job. Wouldn't it be easier to just sand blast a part like that. I have sand blasted many parts like that in minutes not hours and for sure not 48 hours. I think sandblasting does a great job without hurting the surface on heavy metal items such as exhaust manifolds and A-Frames. I can't see doing it the way described in the video. I use regular Play sand which is pretty cheap to do this. Any thoughts?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:06 AM
al329
Burning Brakes

Yes its true....blasting would be faster.

To blast you need a sandblaster, air compressor and possibly blast cabinet...lets not forget a mask to be safe.

Electrolysis you need your battery charger, a bucket and some laundry soap.

I believe the main points for electrolysis are that it is less destructive than media blasting and it gets into all the nooks and crannies of a part. Inside and out the part will be free of rust.

In the video they used a current of 2 amps. It is my understanding that with a higher amperage, the process time will shorten.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:31 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by al329
Yes its true....blasting would be faster.

To blast you need a sandblaster, air compressor and possibly blast cabinet...lets not forget a mask to be safe.

Electrolysis you need your battery charger, a bucket and some laundry soap.

I believe the main points for electrolysis are that it is less destructive than media blasting and it gets into all the nooks and crannies of a part. Inside and out the part will be free of rust.

In the video they used a current of 2 amps. It is my understanding that with a higher amperage, the process time will shorten.
Most people who own and do work on their own cars or trucks own a compressor as well as a battery charger that you mentioned that I know of. Yes some sort of way to blast the rust off is needed. You can get one pretty cheaply for around $20 and I have seen and use them before, a sandblaster that comes with a wand that you just stick in a bag of sand or in a pail full of sand. They are gravity fed. Myself right now I own for probably the last 10 years a pressurerized abrasive blaster. Purchased it from Harbor Freight back then. I see a similiar one now selling for $49.95 right now, not much money. Here's the link:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44762
I blast outside so no need for a media cabinet and I do wear a mask. Blasting does get into every nook and cranny of the part being cleaned. Blasting an upper A-Frame can be done in 30 minutes clean and ready for paint not 48 hours as in the other case. An A-Frame is a heavy duty piece and doesn't get damaged when blasting it. Any heavy duty part not a problem. Blasting sheet metal is the only problem I ever encountered. It will swell the metal.

I also own a SpeedBlaster handgun type of sandblaster most everyone has seen out there. They are great when needing a blaster right away to blast small areas of rust. No need to drag your main equipment out. I use it all the time on my vehicles. Great if doing bodywork and small parts that need to be cleaned up. Here is a link to the one if anyone cares to take a look: http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Blaster-.../dp/B000FNBXDK
Old 03-27-2007, 11:37 AM
64BB
Racer

sounds like a great idea, and one more good approach to this problem, and hey, you can never have to many approaches to a problem. it's been a few years, but i thought i got the same results by dipping small parts into some phosphoric acid. seemed safe and fast. any thoughts welcome.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:51 AM
al329
Burning Brakes

Yes I agree blasting is great and has its place, I am not saying no one should ever sandblast.

As for a comperssor.... what size is needed for blasting?

But when you say you blasting does get into every nook and cranny.... I dunno. If you cant get the blaster tip into a hole or inside of a the part... how does it get cleaned?

The only way to ensure a frame would be cleaned inside the all the rails is to what? Have it dipped right....acid is one way to go, but electrolysis is another.

BTW, I would love to have all the equipment to blast. But I think for some parts I would still use electrolysis on some parts.

Last edited by al329; 03-27-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:52 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

I don't want to get off on a rant here, but please don't use silica sand. There are plenty of low cost alternatives out there, one of them being crushed glass.Silicosis is a disease caused by breathing in particles from fragmented sand. Once you have it, you have it forever.Here is a brief excerpt from the Workers Compensation Board article.

"The use of crystalline silica was prohibited in Great Britain in 1950 and in other European countries in 1966. Since 1974 the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) in the United States has recommended that silica sand be prohibited as an abrasive blasting material.
Workers' exposure to crystalline silica must be kept as low as reasonably achievable (ALARA) below the exposure limits in Table 5-4 in the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation (page 5-35).
Abrasive Blasting Operations •"
Old 03-27-2007, 03:17 PM
al329
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by buns
I don't want to get off on a rant here, but please don't use silica sand. There are plenty of low cost alternatives out there, one of them being crushed glass.Silicosis is a disease caused by breathing in particles from fragmented sand. Once you have it, you have it forever.Here is a brief excerpt from the Workers Compensation Board article.

"The use of crystalline silica was prohibited in Great Britain in 1950 and in other European countries in 1966. Since 1974 the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) in the United States has recommended that silica sand be prohibited as an abrasive blasting material.
Workers' exposure to crystalline silica must be kept as low as reasonably achievable (ALARA) below the exposure limits in Table 5-4 in the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation (page 5-35).

Good advice. Funny how on 60 mins a while back they showed how the Navy did not provide the deck monkeys with breathing protection while they sand blasted the ship. End result silicosis. And from what you posted they knew it was a hazard a long time ago.

So you listed one .....what are some others?

Tks
Old 03-27-2007, 05:03 PM
BMS
Instructor

Aluminum Oxide, Silicon Carbide, Glass Bead, Walnut Shells, Corn Cob, Poly/Plastic bead, etc. Check out tptools.com or eastwood. both have charts showing the best abrasive for the application.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:15 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by 64BB
sounds like a great idea, and one more good approach to this problem, and hey, you can never have to many approaches to a problem. it's been a few years, but i thought i got the same results by dipping small parts into some phosphoric acid. seemed safe and fast. any thoughts welcome.
thats one of the main ingredients of coca cola.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:39 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by buns

With any sandblasting you should always wear a mask of some sort. I do realize more so now then I did some years ago about what could happen but again I don't sandblast for a living. For someone to use a sandblaster on occasion to do ones own sandblasting wearing breathing protection I don't think will really harm them. I guess everyday we are outside with the wind blowing dust around we are always breathing in something that in the long run will get us. Take smoking even if you didn't smoke you were probably in the area of someone who was smoking at one time or another over the years before they past these different smoking laws we have today to protect people from 2nd hand smoke. As I said if I had to do sandblasting for a living everyday I would be more concerned here.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:46 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by al329
Yes I agree blasting is great and has its place, I am not saying no one should ever sandblast.

As for a comperssor.... what size is needed for blasting?

But when you say you blasting does get into every nook and cranny.... I dunno. If you cant get the blaster tip into a hole or inside of a the part... how does it get cleaned?

The only way to ensure a frame would be cleaned inside the all the rails is to what? Have it dipped right....acid is one way to go, but electrolysis is another.

BTW, I would love to have all the equipment to blast. But I think for some parts I would still use electrolysis on some parts.
I agree sandblasting a part that is enclosed will not work but to sandblast an item such as an A-Frame where you can blast both sides works just find getting in every nook and cranny as to say. To blast a car frame of course you wouldn't be able to blast inside of the frame but most parts on a car are excessible on all sides where sandblasting may be needed to clean off the rust to bare metal.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:30 AM
unreel1967
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 64BB
Pepsi and butter!
Old 03-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

I posted an article (or a link to an article) on the forum a short time back showing how to remove rust using your 12 volt battery charger. Do a search . . . .

Old 03-29-2007, 12:26 AM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

There is probably something I'm just missing with it being late, but...

In the old electronics classes I had years ago, a basic fundamental was that current traveled from Negative to Positive form the power source. Electrons left the Negative terminal, flowed through the circuit, and back to the Positive terminal.

Yet the anode is the Positive terminal, where electrons are arriving, not leaving.

What am I missing on why the metal is going opposite the electron flow?
Old 03-29-2007, 12:47 AM
al329
Burning Brakes

Electrolysis, the science behind it....
http://www.antique-engines.com/electrol-details.asp

Get notified of new replies

To How to Remove Rust Easily... Cool stuff

Old 03-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Well, like I said, maybe it was just the late hour. I was thinking in terms of plating, but I see that really they are doing a type of reverse plating, having the rust (the oxide) remove from the main object and transfer to the anode, leaving the iron/steel behind.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:47 AM
Prestige593
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

OK, this sounds like a cool way to get the rust off. Anyway, I started at the supermarket, then Target, then WalMart. So far, I have not been able to find this Arm & Hammer "Super Washing Soda". Where is it sold? Has anyone seen this in the store, and where? I am in So. Florida if anyone has any leads. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:26 AM
al329
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Prestige593
OK, this sounds like a cool way to get the rust off. Anyway, I started at the supermarket, then Target, then WalMart. So far, I have not been able to find this Arm & Hammer "Super Washing Soda". Where is it sold? Has anyone seen this in the store, and where? I am in So. Florida if anyone has any leads. Thanks.
My local Safeway has it.

Options:

Amazon.com
soapsgonebuy.com

If you can't find it locally, call Arm & Hammer at this number: 1-800-524-1328 - they should be able to tell you where the closest place is that you can find it.

Want to make your own "laundry soda"? Take baking soda, spread it out onto a cookie sheet and bake it in the oven at a little over 300 degrees for an hour or so it will drive away a water and CO2 molecule thus making washing soda.
At temperatures above 300 Fahrenheit (149 Celsius), baking soda decomposes into sodium carbonate, water, and carbon dioxide.
2NaHCO3 -> Na2Co3 + H20 + CO2

Quick Reply: How to Remove Rust Easily... Cool stuff