Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

insurance renewal language

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 01:40 PM
BBQ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default insurance renewal language

Will not cover "loss arising out of any prearraged racing or speed contest, including practice or training on any track or course whether on public roadways or private property, or in preparation for any contest of this type"

Hmmm. Wonder what would happen if I tried to file a claim from damage from a DE event. ????
Old 03-09-2007, 01:47 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Claim denied.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Where have you been? This was a big thread not long ago.

Basically, many who have been on the tracks for a long time feel don't do it if you can't live with the consequences.

The insurance isn't insuring for a race track risk, they are insuring against a normal driving risk based on what you told them, i.e., 1-3 miles pleasure, 5-10 miles work/school, over 10 miles work/school.

Go tell your agent you drive often at 100 mph and above and want to know what your rates will be.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1603572

Last edited by Mark_Milner; 03-09-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:17 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd say your covered but I'm not the judge. Nothing about drivers ED.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:30 PM
z28cp
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQ
including practice or training on any track or course
I'd say this pretty much kills a DE....

DaveZ.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:42 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Will not cover "loss arising out of any prearraged racing or speed contest, including practice or training on any track or course whether on public roadways or private property, or in preparation for any contest of this type"
The way I read it was you are not in preparation for prearranged racing, speed contest or any type of contest. You are at a driver education course.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:45 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQ

Hmmm. Wonder what would happen if I tried to file a claim from damage from a DE event. ????
I think that this one would deny any claim here.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:54 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQ
I think it would be a battle to get them to pay.

However, to me a good attorney would convince the judge that..

"loss arising out of any prearraged racing or speed contest, including practice or training"

means practice or training for a competitive event of which a DE is not.

A DE is also not...

"in preparation for any contest of this type"

It's interesting that they inserted "public roadways" in the language. To me, they're going after the Open Road Race (ie Pony Express) guys that (I think) get a practice run on the "course" which is obviously a public roadway.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:59 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
I think it would be a battle to get them to pay.

However, to me a good attorney would convince the judge that..

"loss arising out of any prearraged racing or speed contest, including practice or training"

means practice or training for a competitive event of which a DE is not.

A DE is also not...

"in preparation for any contest of this type"

It's interesting that they inserted "public roadways" in the language. To me, they're going after the Open Road Race (ie Pony Express) guys that (I think) get a practice run on the "course" which is obviously a public roadway.
you may have phrased it better than me
Old 03-09-2007, 03:01 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I know a person unnamed who's policy ask if there are any mods and he just leaves it blank for the last 8 years
Old 03-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

It'd be denied... the way they have that worded and w/ the commas it is denying 3 scenarios... they are not contingent on each other.

What ins. co. is this from?
Old 03-09-2007, 04:56 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So if GM or Dodge start making Blue Devil type cars and they REQUIRE you to take an HPDE to learn to properly drive these supercars before they let you buy, they will deny your coverage?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I cannot see GM requiring you to drive your own car on track... no way. They may require some sort of license or basic class, but they would supply the cars.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I cannot see GM requiring you to drive your own car on track... no way. They may require some sort of license or basic class, but they would supply the cars.

They are not going to train people in 600 hp cars unless they have been recently lobotomized I trained people at HPDE for years including a similar scenario for AMG and the people who got the least out of it were in the most powerful cars. They either scare the bejesus out of themselves or the instructors refuse to ride with them out of safety concerns. If I were running a school like that I would use M6 Z51 Coupes for the first day, ZO6 the second and DeathMobile SS cars the third. Same dimensions but more forgiving and a chance to acclimatize.

I got that clause years ago from Allstate

I know someone who totalled a car at the Open Road Races and then defrauded his insurance company by calling it a, no sh#@ - "high speed parade". His car was $86K and they paid. As I have just commented in the other thread, insurance guys are not stupid, why don't you try putting the following into into Google and see what comes up:

Car race nevada

The first thing is open road racing... Do the same for towns with tracks...

Insurance companies are pretty specific I think in the exclusion department as well. I am not a lawyer , but you might consult one if you think you can crack that clause. You should call your agent and ask him what he thinks before you go to the track. Insurance fraud is a bad thing and I think you would be commiting it by making a claim from a race track. If you think you are right then you should not fear calling your agent. This would also make HPDE events safer as you would be less likely to careen around the track without the appropriate skills if you knew that the body shop is going to get your kid's college fund.

I raced in many pro series and the cars were never insured except in Europe where we would insure two corners through a company in Belgium. The cars were mine in North America most of the time and were never worth less than about $30K. The European cars were prototypes or true race cars and were a lot more expensive than that. I think the premium was about $25K 20 years ago for 6 months for two corners but the would only pay once and then cancel you. Lose the car and you lose your bank account. That is what racing is, a sport for gamblers. If you can't afford to pay, you can't afford to play. I never drove a car at the track that I couldn't pay for if it was destroyed. That is also why I never drive students cars, I don't want to fix them.

Last edited by Tintin; 03-09-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:51 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I know a person unnamed who's policy ask if there are any mods and he just leaves it blank for the last 8 years
John,

Hopefully, it's not you. Leaving it blank is the name as saying "none". The insurance company can, if they find out about modifications, deny any claim for failure to disclose the information. Being less than candid in an insurance application or an accident report to the insurance company can result in loss of coverage. Not the best avenue to deal with the issue.

Regards,
Steve
Old 03-09-2007, 06:19 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I just keep it insured to drive from the driveway to the trailer. If I bang it up at the track it's my pile of crap.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Janni
Advanced

If anyone truly believes that DE's are really DE's - then there better not be any more posts about "how to go faster, what mods to make, or lap times" and a heck of a lot more about physics, vehicle dynamics, classroom sessions and always having an instructor.

There are a lot of folks kidding themselves that they are at some sort of educational event.

You can bring a textbook to a strip club, but you're not gonna get college credits for your time "studying".

Get notified of new replies

To insurance renewal language

Old 03-12-2007, 12:43 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Janni
If anyone truly believes that DE's are really DE's - then there better not be any more posts about "how to go faster, what mods to make, or lap times" ...
".
The guys talking about that are not the one driving around with an instructor. To me, once you are signed off, it is not really a Driver's Ed anymore. But when I have someone riding shotgun pointing out my mistakes, I would call it a learning excercise, yes.

One of the first things I learned doing a few HPDE's was to watch very close what is happening in front of you and for flags. This sort of what I call "situational awareness" is very helpful for safety on the street.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Janni
Advanced

Oh - I do agree that there is a lot to be learned on the track that can help you on the street but you probably get that after about 2-3 events - keep your eyes up, plan an escape route, take care of your car, look BEYOND an accident not at it, etc., etc., All of these things have made me a better and safer driver on the street.

BUT...........

There are far more folks doing this semi-competitively, without an instructor and are more concerned with going faster than necessarily calling this educational or getting much more out of it that translates into a better street driver. And then - just because you call it DE - and you are there 5,6, 15 times a year - doesn't make it exempt from the language above, IMO.

Sometimes we kid ourselves into thinking that is what we're doing. it just seems easier to justify.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:22 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BBQ

Interesting that it includes "public roadways". This may encompass street racing which is becoming a growing problem with the tuner crowd in urban areas.

Quick Reply: insurance renewal language