Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Corvette Fever stuffs LS1 in an 87

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 12:55 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jhammons01
I am absolutely shocked that He hasn't weighed in on this very close to home subject.
Must be waxing his other one.....
Old 02-27-2007, 01:51 PM
smearig
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Showing my ignorance here. They make an affordable aluminum block 350? No such thing as a stupid question, right?
Originally Posted by CE_Vetteboy
LS1 Starting in '97 with the vette was aluminum block, total redesign from original 350 cu but maintained the same displacement. LSx motors that followed starting in '99 (trucks) were all cast blocks. Approx. 100 pounds heavier.
The LS1 is a 347, not a 350 if that's what corvetteronw is getting at.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:05 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

It's called "being at work," dammit.

There is one minor flaw with the plan of using a 5.3l truck engine... it's against the law!!!

The EPA is rather specific on this subject - legally, you cannot install an engine for a truck into a car. It's that simple. Now, this isn't a problem in many states, but could cause issue in CA and the other states that are following CARB style rules. Just a heads up.

Also, many states with **** retentive inspection will check all documents - receipts from salvage yards, ect, to prove provenance of the engine. This is where you get hit and hit hard. It's an all new way to stop theives from selling stolen parts. This is a warning to those in PA and NJ. It's how they will figure the engine came from a truck and ding you.

I wish it was as simple as passing the sniffer... but it ain't.

The iron and aluminum motors are not the "same" casting. The iron blocks are cast differently, because they don't need the mass to support them. However, fitment is the same.

I will have to pick this issue up.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:13 PM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I'll bet that you could do this project relatively inexpensively. Painless Wiring has all kinds of LSx harnesses and I'm sure that someone with patience could make it work with a factory ECU. The F.A.S.T. ECU would be another option, but they are pricey... I would personally go with an aluminum LSx block, but that's just me... There some killer swaps in the "Conversion" section of LS1tech...
Old 02-27-2007, 04:24 PM
bogus
Team Owner

The factory ECM from an Fbody is the way to go. To be honest, that's not that bad an issue... 20 wires or so and your done.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:50 PM
1Fast7R
Advanced

So lets say i put in a 6.0L/vortec/lq9/lq4 into my '85 in a state that dose not have those epa laws and then move to a state that has them. Would i have to sell it off?

Also a lot of people go with the iron blocks because of the weight. They are closer to the wieght of lets say a 350. This way you don't have to find someway of lowering the front. That and if you boost them they are stronger.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:06 PM
bogus
Team Owner

I know what you are saying... I suspect if you bring it in, it will depend on the awareness of the inspector. If the car has been tagged in another state for a few years, they will expect it to at least be "legal."

Hence, it might come down to a smog issue, and the inspector knowing it's a truck engine vs a car engine.

You see, the EPA allows for the installation of NEWER car engines, so if the guy can't tell the difference between a iron and aluminum block, you're golden.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:28 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by bogus
I know what you are saying... I suspect if you bring it in, it will depend on the awareness of the inspector. If the car has been tagged in another state for a few years, they will expect it to at least be "legal."

Hence, it might come down to a smog issue, and the inspector knowing it's a truck engine vs a car engine.

You see, the EPA allows for the installation of NEWER car engines, so if the guy can't tell the difference between a iron and aluminum block, you're golden.
How you guys put up with the in California is beyond me.
We have emissions testing but it's going away and it's nothing like the nonsense you guys are stuck with.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:31 PM
1Fast7R
Advanced

OK, and one more. So for those who live in an epa state how dose it work for those building a motor from scratch. Could you get away with it if you went and bought a new iron block?
Old 02-27-2007, 07:13 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1Fast7R
OK, and one more. So for those who live in an epa state how dose it work for those building a motor from scratch. Could you get away with it if you went and bought a new iron block?
now THAT is a good question. I suspect you can. It has no prior origin.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:15 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JD'S WHITE 93
How you guys put up with the in California is beyond me.
We have emissions testing but it's going away and it's nothing like the nonsense you guys are stuck with.
It's not BS. For the most part, it's simple enforcement. CA simply enforces the mandates of the EPA.

These are not strictly CARB rules, but EPA rules. Everytime someone removes a cat from their car and doesn't replace it, an EPA fine of $10k COULD be levied. If they find out.

And every so often, they do...
Old 02-27-2007, 07:23 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

I would of paid a little more for a junk yard LS1, plus it is lighter. They were worried about the car sitting to high, just lower it. I don't see this being that good of a build up, most if going through all the trouble would do 346 or bigger and max it out.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:34 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

It's not BS. For the most part, it's simple enforcement. CA simply enforces the mandates of the EPA.

These are not strictly CARB rules, but EPA rules. Everytime someone removes a cat from their car and doesn't replace it, an EPA fine of $10k COULD be levied. If they find out.

And every so often, they do...
If the vehicle being tested is running clean then it shouldn't matter if it's a truck engine with no converters. The bottom line is what's comming out of the exhaust, everything else should not matter.
A 10K fine for removing a cat, that's a tougher fine than DUI
Old 02-27-2007, 07:37 PM
bogus
Team Owner

If the vehicle being tested is running clean then it shouldn't matter if it's a truck engine with no converters. The bottom line is what's comming out of the exhaust, everything else should not matter.
A 10K fine for removing a cat, that's laughable in a country where we have sex offenders sentenced to probation.
I am not disagreeing with you.

However, the EPA logic is based upon a rather well established understanding that people don't always do the right thing.

With that in mind, the EPA came down hard on automakers for the pollution issues. And I am glad they did. If not, the automakers would never have changed their ways. If you think they would have...

The fines are really there to discourage institutional removal. If a garage was doing it, or a dealers service bay, it's bad... real bad.

As for sex offenders, well, can't comment on all of them, but the government is coming down on them like a ton of bricks, too.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:43 PM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Fast7R
Also a lot of people go with the iron blocks because of the weight. They are closer to the wieght of lets say a 350. This way you don't have to find someway of lowering the front. That and if you boost them they are stronger.
I don't know about you, but I'd be plenty willing to have the front suspension tweaked for an 80+ lb weight savings in a nose-heavy car...

Stock-bottom LS1s have seen 650rwhp (mine personally saw 576rwhp on a regular basis) and forged LS1s well over 1000rwhp (mine lives at 650rwhp). I've never heard of someone splitting the aluminum block...
Now, will an iron block hold the heads better? Yes, but there are ways around that and you have to be WAY up there in power before it becomes an issue...
Old 02-27-2007, 07:46 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

I am not disagreeing with you.

However, the EPA logic is based upon a rather well established understanding that people don't always do the right thing.

With that in mind, the EPA came down hard on automakers for the pollution issues. And I am glad they did. If not, the automakers would never have changed their ways. If you think they would have...

The fines are really there to discourage institutional removal. If a garage was doing it, or a dealers service bay, it's bad... real bad.

As for sex offenders, well, can't comment on all of them, but the government is coming down on them like a ton of bricks, too.
The logic behind it makes sense but as with most good intentions from the government it goes horribly worng at some point.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:13 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Originally Posted by danziger
I don't know about you, but I'd be plenty willing to have the front suspension tweaked for an 80+ lb weight savings in a nose-heavy car...

Stock-bottom LS1s have seen 650rwhp (mine personally saw 576rwhp on a regular basis) and forged LS1s well over 1000rwhp (mine lives at 650rwhp). I've never heard of someone splitting the aluminum block...
Now, will an iron block hold the heads better? Yes, but there are ways around that and you have to be WAY up there in power before it becomes an issue...
I would rather fight the weight savings... I would love to lose that kinda weight. It would require a coil over conversion and corner scales to get it done right. But the end result would be worth it.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Fever stuffs LS1 in an 87

Old 02-27-2007, 09:13 PM
bogus
Team Owner

The logic behind it makes sense but as with most good intentions from the government it goes horribly worng at some point.
no question about that... I just don't know how to fix it.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:27 PM
dennysZ51
Instructor

how much lighter is a ls1 then the l98? If its a little lighter in the front wont that help you in the 1/4 mile. and put you closer to a 50/50 weight? if they want to save some money they can pick up a 98 ls1 they seem to be cheaper.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:38 PM
1Fast7R
Advanced

For me the weight savings isn't worth the extra money. First your going to pay twice as much for a aluminum ls1. The cheapest i hve seen is in the mid to upper 1k's. You can get the iron for as little as 700 complete.

So ok you went with the aluminum now you have to get a coil over kit witch isn't cheap. And dependining on you vette is if you have to do some modifying so the coil mounts will not bend or brake off. So in the end you'll be spening al lot more for the same conversion.

Quick Reply: Corvette Fever stuffs LS1 in an 87