Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dixie Tour report

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 06:48 AM
Cashmo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dixie Tour report

It all started poorly when our Thr 6:30pm flight from Milw didn't leave until 10:30pm. Ended up at a hotel in Atlanta at 2am with a 7am wake up call for a flight to Albany, GA. Finally got to Cecil, GA at noon where we found Georgia Motorsports Park to be very much like Rt 66 in Joliet, IL. It has an oval, drag strip and a long narrow paved lot for the courses. My wife didn't want to make the trip so she's dealing with 6-10 inches of snow back home. It's over 70 degrees, sunburn, t-shirt weather here.

My Boxster co-driver couldn't make it so I got a ride in a Honda S2000. However, after taking a few practice runs (including a couple in my old MR2) I found that the cast on my left #4 finger (indoor soccer injury) kept hitting the turn signal/windshield wiper stalks. I eventually found I could fit in Mike Perakis's 1968 BSP Vette so I'm co-driving that now. It's my first experience in a C3.

The courses are slalom-city, speed maintenance courses and this Vette is a fire breathing, point and shoot, dragon compared to what I'm used to. If it has a fly wheel, it's not much. The clutch feels digital, either on or off. I'm also used to just lifting to get the nose to tuck in but this car has so much engine braking that the rear ends coming around on me. Tried going softer on the rear rebound but couldn't feel much difference. Mike thought it was worse which reminds me of Danny explaining that the trick with the C3's was to not let the suspension move because of the bad toe/camber changes. I think we'll try going stiffer all around today. I'm guessing Jason Tipple in the Rahal S2000 will be the one to beat in BSP. Oh well, it beats shoveling. After 4 months off it's good to get out between the cones.

Jeff
Old 02-24-2007, 08:59 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeff,

Whhhhooooaaa !!!!! C3's are a riot just take a little to get acclimated to (like alot). Mikes car is as near a clone to my BSP car as you can get . Nope car has a total of 15 lbs clutch and flywheel wieght.....I've been telling him he needs to ad some wieght to that and have made suggestions. That assy used to work great on the bias plies, but the radials dont seem to like it too much (IMHO).
Add roll stiffness to front if possible, and crank up the front shocks, that will calm it down as much as possible, but that car is not the best speed maintainence car...too nervous,obviously. It's all about having the side pipes "wail" as much as possible and be careful of making the motor "turn off" under braking If things get quiet under braking,get off the brakes quick.
Anywho, I wish you guys the best of luck and Jeff this will add to your Corvette experiences. Mike is a GREAT guy and I am sure that you are enjoying his offer to drive his fire breathing monster......Someone that can drive one of those cars well can drive anything.

I had multiple offers to come down and drive cars.....I probably should have hinsight is always 20/20.

Have fun Jeff and remember "pitch it and catch it"....with the throttle
Old 02-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Cashmo
Instructor

Whoo, today was ugly. Spun twice on the first run and needed a couple big catches to salvage the 2nd. Data shows I was hauling it on the 3rd run but got really sideways twice coming back and lost everything I was ahead and then some. I can't lean on the rear end at all (laterally). Where does one find a 1 or 1.5 way rear diff for a 1968?

Jeff
Old 02-24-2007, 10:44 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cashmo
Whoo, today was ugly. Spun twice on the first run and needed a couple big catches to salvage the 2nd. Data shows I was hauling it on the 3rd run but got really sideways twice coming back and lost everything I was ahead and then some. I can't lean on the rear end at all (laterally). Where does one find a 1 or 1.5 way rear diff for a 1968?

Jeff
Slow in .....Fast out ..real important in that car. Almost as important as having slow hands for inputs,fast hands for corrections. Not a lot of steering angle required ...Looks like you and Mike will do better tomorrow after scouring through the results.

Was Rod McGeorge in the 06 Z06 ASP car FTD ???? Somebody has to beat the Porsche in SS..

Good Job Rod.

ERNDIT.....If you are seeing this stay off the cones 3 run deals can be rough

You guys enjoy yourself while I am watching this icestorm.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:05 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Slow in .....Fast out ..real important in that car. Almost as important as having slow hands for inputs,fast hands for corrections. Not a lot of steering angle required ...Looks like you and Mike will do better tomorrow after scouring through the results.

Was Rod McGeorge in the 06 Z06 ASP car FTD ???? Somebody has to beat the Porsche in SS..

Good Job Rod.

ERNDIT.....If you are seeing this stay off the cones 3 run deals can be rough

You guys enjoy yourself while I am watching this icestorm.
YOU should've been here, Danny - it would've been a blast watching you, Rod and Ian duke it out on the course

As for my pathetic display of "cone-age"...- well, I have no excuse except sloppy driving - my times were ok, but I know I could've done MUCH better ...I guess I'm just accustomed to having 14 runs - not just 3... I'll have to work on that My first time at a SCCA national event with this many people and it was a real experience... great to watch so many fast drivers!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Cashmo
Instructor

Slow in .....Fast out
That's a major understatement! I did better today but I still feel we're driving around the problem and shouldn't have to. Need to do some diff research. It rained at the end of 4th heat so we had drying conditions for BSP.

Rod was driving well, said he hadn't changed the car. Lehman's ASP car looks like a 4x4 truck. The front end is way up in the air and needs springs/shocks.

Results here

Jeff
Old 02-25-2007, 10:19 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

I see results like that and wonder why the GT3 is even allowed in stock. Then someone like Braun will come along in an Elise and prove me wrong.

I think Ian may have had FTD, in a stock GT3. That's just not right. IMHO.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Surferjer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The course was great for the GT3-a lot of high speed maneuvers, speed maintenance but also a lot of spots to put the hammer down. The Elise does well in speed maintenance courses, but doesn't turn well under full throttle, and it comes with a ball pean hammer. The Z06 which comes with a sledge hammer but doesn't handle as well. The GT3 does it all well, and that was key. Burger drove his azz off, else the GT3s would have swept the podium. Frank and Steve were just getting started in their C6Z06, not even aligned yet! So it's hard to say just how good it will be.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:33 AM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by Surferjer
The course was great for the GT3-a lot of high speed maneuvers, speed maintenance but also a lot of spots to put the hammer down. The Elise does well in speed maintenance courses, but doesn't turn well under full throttle, and it comes with a ball pean hammer. The Z06 which comes with a sledge hammer but doesn't handle as well. The GT3 does it all well, and that was key. Burger drove his azz off, else the GT3s would have swept the podium. Frank and Steve were just getting started in their C6Z06, not even aligned yet! So it's hard to say just how good it will be.
Actually, I am happy with the car at this stage of its development. Sunday, with just a field alignment and stock size tires (295 front, 325 rear) it was competitive. If I had not coned my fast run it would have been in second place Sunday and third overall. Poor driving is NOT the car's fault.

I think with proper alignment, corner weighing and 315 front/345 rear A6s, this car will be right in the thick of it. Still screwing around with shock settings. Time will tell.

A guy like Danny can have a real ball driving this car. Steers like a dream with the throttle --and not much thorottle, either, or you will go for an entertaining spin. Ask Steve about this.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 02-27-2007, 12:32 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Great job guys, especially with so many new cars and setups. Like Jeff says, beats shoveling anyday.

Get notified of new replies

To Dixie Tour report

Quick Reply: Dixie Tour report