C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A Bone-Head Move

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 09:12 PM
MarvBarrish
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 41 Posts

Default A Bone-Head Move

Why do these things happen? I was working on my 66, changing power steering hoses, wanted to intialize the system, I went to crank the motor a bit to get the power steering pump primed and I forgot I had the car in gear. It lurches forward and smacks my street rod project car and messes up my headlight bucket. Now mind you, I'm still putting my car together from it's recent paint job so it never got finished before I messed it up! It really is a good thing that I've mellowed with age as these things used to send me into orbit. My question for anybody that is knowledgeable about these headlight buckets is this. What's the trick to taking the buckets off. My AIM manual doesn't have anything on it. I have found an article in the NCRS Restoration articles so I have a general idea, but I would like to know more. The bucket is now out of align and it will be easier to paint if I take it off. Any input is always appreciated. Regards, Marv
Old 02-06-2007, 09:30 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MarvBarrish
My question for anybody that is knowledgeable about these headlight buckets is this. What's the trick to taking the buckets off.
Regards, Marv
A big hammer?

Just thought I would add a little fuel to the fire.

P.S. I have never took one off...... So I'm no help.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:36 PM
AColbe01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far I haven't mellowed that much, that ding had to hurt! That is my favorite color. I feel for you,;but unable to give directions. Glad it was a car instead of a person the car hit. I've pulled almost the same "Bonehead" move but without the above results.

Feel for you,

Andy
Old 02-06-2007, 09:50 PM
65 DENCO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

STUFF HAPPENS, it does not seem to matter how careful or hard you try it happens...... I feel your pain; to well I'm afraid... It's been years since I removed the headlights and I don’t want to give you bad info sorry.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Marv, I'll give it a shot.
First, open the hood and put a bolt through the rod so, that the hood does not close on you. Using a mirror, unplug the wires from the headlight motor and disconnect the ground wire. Unbolt the motor bracket from the header bar and pull the clip off off the motor housing. Now, slide the motor off of the pivot rod and carefully take it out of the car. Remove the headlight bezel and the headlights. There are two clear plastic plugs on either side of the headlight bucket. Remove them. This allows access to each of the three bolts on either side of the buckets. Carefully remove all six of the bolts. You have to rotate the bucket up and down in order to do this. This will disconnect the headlight bucket from the aluminum housings on both sides. Remove the housings and then you should be able to remove the headlight bucket from the car. Also, you have to disconnect the headlight wiring harness as well. I hope that this helps.

Last edited by Trophy Blue; 02-06-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:09 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Here is a pretty good article on headlight bucket removal, courtesy of corvettemagazine.com...............http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2006...lamp_motor.asp

Old 02-06-2007, 10:26 PM
theybot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could have been much worse. Count your blessings. Its such a smallpiece of the car and it can be removed for paint. Do you have spare paint? Or will the painter need to match the body?
Toby
Old 02-06-2007, 10:35 PM
saopm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to remove the bucket, you might want to tape up the body around the bucket. It is very tight and chances are will scratch the body too.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:03 PM
MarvBarrish
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi guys, thanks for the replys and input. The article supplied by buns is exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate it. I do have extra paint and I have already taped around the bucket to protect my paint so all I need to do is get after it and get it done. Regards, Marv

Get notified of new replies

To A Bone-Head Move

Quick Reply: A Bone-Head Move