C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Cooling Perfection Achieved

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 08:20 AM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Cooling Perfection Achieved

I haved owned my '77 for 7 years. Before that I had a '81 for 5 years.

Never before have I installed a better combination of components for engine cooling then I have now. I just completed the overhaul, so I thought I'd share my thoughts.

The components I used:

DeWitt's Aluminum Radiator
There has been a lot said about this radiator on this forum--all good--so I won't go into details as to its cooling ability; this is common knowledge by now. I will say that the quality and ruggedness of construction was beyond my expectations--it is so well made it is almost art. Also, Direct Fit is not a good name--it should be called Perfect Fit--it more accurately describes the installation.

Edelbrock Victor Water Pump
High flow rate, and long lasting--this was an easy choice.

Robertshaw High Flow Thermostat
A must with the Edelbrock water pump--I chose 180F. The more flow the better--forget what some say about the coolant flowing too fast through the radiator to cool down. If that were true than the coolant would also be traveling too fast through the motor to pick up heat.

New Radiator Seals
Naturally.

Delta Current Control Fan Speed Controller
I have tried all the other fan controllers--they are junk compared to this one. Worth every penny. Bullet-proof contruction--solid wiring terminals. Controls from 10% to 100% power--ramps up smoothly. Came preset for a 180F thermostat but can be adjusted to any temperature by either changing a jumper or by using the optional in-car dial. It shows fan speed by an LED in car panel light that changes from green to yellow to red as fan speed increases.
This controller also senses coolant temperature at the outlet of the radiator. This allows the radiator, with just the natural airstream, to do its best before the fan kicks in. I have always thought that this is the best place for a sensor and DCC has proved me correct.
A fun part is that when I turn off the motor, the controller ramps the fan down in a way that the fan slowing down sounds exactly like a jet turbine ramping down--you should see the looks my Vette gets! Not loud, but very distinctive--very cool.

Mark VIII Fan
Fit like a glove. Covers more of the radiator than any other electric fan. The RF64 version puts out 5500 cfm according to rumor. I will say that at 100% power, it easily excedes the factory fan/clutch system. Yes, that's right--I have no way to measure it except by feel, but I've been under the hoods of C3's for years and this fan really roars out the air. When I first mounted it and tested it at 100% power, all the leaves and crap that had been accumulating under the Vette for the last 4 months were blown into the driveway--I spent a good 15 minutes looking for screws. This amount of airflow needs the DCC controller to regulate it properly--100% power will maybe never have to be engaged, but I like to know its there.

Last edited by PhotoVette1; 01-27-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:23 AM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many amps can that fan potentially draw?
Old 01-27-2007, 08:25 AM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing since achieving adequate cooling seems to be a continuing problem from a lot of our Forum Brothers & Sisters. Interestingly I've not encountered similar issues with my 79. However when I built my slightly moded 355, the original rad leaked like a sieve on the reinstall and I replaced with a new OEM 4 core and of course new hoses, pump and thermostat.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:34 AM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by shafrs3
How many amps can that fan potentially draw?
42 amps. At 50% DCC controlled speed, it draws 12 amps.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:36 AM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by marshrat99
Thanks for sharing since achieving adequate cooling seems to be a continuing problem from a lot of our Forum Brothers & Sisters. Interestingly I've not encountered similar issues with my 79. However when I built my slightly moded 355, the original rad leaked like a sieve on the reinstall and I replaced with a new OEM 4 core and of course new hoses, pump and thermostat.
I have a medium moded 355.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:55 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PhotoVette1
Delta Current Control Fan Speed Controller
I have tried all the other fan controllers--they are junk compared to this one. Worth every penny. Bullet-proof contruction--solid wiring terminals. Controls from 10% to 100% power--ramps up smoothly. Came preset for a 180F thermostat but can be adjusted to any temperature by either changing a jumper or by using the optional in-car dial. It shows fan speed by an LED in car panel light that changes from green to yellow to red as fan speed increases.
This controller also senses coolant temperature at the outlet of the radiator. This allows the radiator, with just the natural airstream, to do its best before the fan kicks in. I have always thought that this is the best place for a sensor and DCC has proved me correct.
A fun part is that when I turn off the motor, the controller ramps the fan down in a way that the fan slowing down sounds exactly like a jet turbine ramping down--you should see the looks my Vette gets! Not loud, but very distinctive--very cool.
Sounds like you've got the perfect setup.

Baskin really knows his cooling. No with him.

So did you add a bung to the outlet or are you using his standard sensor?
Old 01-27-2007, 09:03 AM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by noonie
So did you add a bung to the outlet or are you using his standard sensor?
The standard sensor--a mounting tab on the Mark VIII actually holds it in just so.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:29 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Very nice.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Could you elaborate a little on the fan speed controller. I have the "other" controller and it works but I have not been 100% satisfied with it. What kind of sensor does it use and where is it mounted and the big question is how much $$$
Old 01-27-2007, 09:49 AM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Could you elaborate a little on the fan speed controller. I have the "other" controller and it works but I have not been 100% satisfied with it. What kind of sensor does it use and where is it mounted and the big question is how much $$$
This will tell all---> http://www.dccontrol.com/

The only modification I made was that I used a vacuum switch on the ported vacuum carb port to disable the a/c mode. That is, when the a/c is on, the controller turns the fan on 50% power. I thought that was unnecessary when the car is moving. So, by putting a vacuum switch on ported vacuum, the a/c 50% mode only comes on when the throttle is closed, ie, when the car is stopped or coasting.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Looks like a nice system. I'll read into more when I get a chance. I don't have AC but do have dual fans. I see a splitter for the wiring for dual fans so that should not be a problem. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Photo, do you still have that video of when you tested the MarkVIII?
Old 01-27-2007, 10:18 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Very nice setup. Many questions!

Can't see from your profile if you have an auto transmission. If so, did you rout the cooling lines through the rad or a separate cooler?

I can see the attachment for the fan on top. Did you have to fabricate this or did it come with the fan? How did the bottom attach? Since the fan wasn't the same footprint as the rad, where did the seals go, along the rim of the fan enclosure?

Again, very nice system.

Last edited by CA-Legal-Vette; 01-27-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:18 AM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
Hey Photo, do you still have that video of when you tested the MarkVIII?
No, I accidently erased it when I dumped all my shoots of Nova when we had a spiff. I am making another one with Julie as soon as we get back from Florida. The Vette is all gas'd up and we're leaving for Florida in 45 minutes...
Old 01-27-2007, 10:40 AM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

You put the best in- congrats!
Old 01-27-2007, 10:56 AM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Photo Vette,
Great article! I followed your posts and was ready to do the same thing to my 79. I have The Mark VIII fan and all I lacked was the Delta controller. Then I let my 79 go and got a 92. The C4s have a cooling issue too but we C3 guys know how to solve those problems don't we?! Gread work!
Bernie
Old 01-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Crunch-o-Matic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fellas -- not to hijack the thred but I have a question about my fan setup.

I have a becool alum rad in my 73 vert. I added two 10" elec fans (autozone). Only thing is I attached the fans through the fins of the radiator with the supplied plastic fasteners. Not sure I like the attachment method.

I get great cooling but is the way I attached my fans going to cause problems, ie, radiator damage?

Cheers,

Crunch

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Cooling Perfection Achieved

Old 01-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Crunch-o-Matic
I get great cooling but is the way I attached my fans going to cause problems, ie, radiator damage?

Cheers,

Crunch

It's possible but not guaranteed. The best way to mount would be to fab some brackets that hang from the top and support from the bottom. That will put the load of the fan on the core support and not the fragile fins and core of the radiator.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:29 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had twin 12 inch fans on my stock rad and used the rubber pads and plastic fasteners to hold them to the rad and I had no problems with that setup. I was going to install the Mark VIII fan and would have made brackets to hold it in.
Bernie
Old 01-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BerniesVette
I had twin 12 inch fans on my stock rad and used the rubber pads and plastic fasteners to hold them to the rad and I had no problems with that setup. I was going to install the Mark VIII fan and would have made brackets to hold it in.
Bernie

Would you have sealed around the edges of it's plastic shroud or just mounted it to the surface?

Quick Reply: Engine Cooling Perfection Achieved