C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dewitt Radiator PICS / Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 06:35 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Dewitt Radiator PICS / Install Questions

I just received my new Dewitt Radiator yesterday. So far very I am very impressed with the quality. It was shipped on time and well packaged. Weather permitting, I will probably be installing this on Saturday.

Now for the questions... One of the install steps gives two options. Is it better to install it using shims or to cut the fan shround for that step? What other trouble might I run into? I have heard of bad experiences removing the lower bolts that hold the stock radiator in place. Will I need to lift the car to get to the bolts? I will bring along my trusty dremel tool with circular cutting disc just in case. Is there a need to change hoses? I had not planned on it? Any additives recommended, water wetter, pelets, etc..? I will be going back with green stuff premixed 50/50 and several flushes before I refill. I've changed coolant several times in the past so that should be a piece of cake. I don't think I am going to use the radiator trans cooling passage. My external trans cooler seems to work fine. Does anyone know where I can rent a 5.5" circular saw? I want to cut the hole out for my license ram air and install it while I'm doing the radiator swap. Any other tips, suggestions, or warnings?

Thanks

Thanks Mr. Dewitt and Happy Birthday!

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 06-05-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:56 PM
dc3plt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish I had recommendations. I have not installed one yet.

Just wanted to say that it's one heck of a nice piece!!!!

Old 01-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Tom 35th anniversary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Just got mine today!!

Just picked mine up today from my dads house. Its a work of art....it will be a shame to install it and cover it up. Thanks Dewitts!!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Kool88vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My Dewitt's was a direct fit. I'm suprised that you have to modify anything. I don't think you will need water wetter. You should be running cool with the radiator because it has twice the capacity of stock. 50% coolant and 50% water is a good mixture. Contact Tom Dewitt if you have any problems. Sorry I can't help you with the Ram Air. I installed TPIS cold air induction and have driving lamps where my front licence plate should be. Why not change the hoses. I would unless they are in very good condition.

Last edited by Kool88vette; 01-23-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:25 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Man, I like that alot.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:29 PM
NitrousSam
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Dewitt

I bought one during the group purchase and it arrived ahead of schedule, it was boxed outstanding and I agree that the quality and finish are spectacular. Dewitt gets a from me!

NitrousSam
Old 01-24-2007, 12:14 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by NitrousSam
I bought one during the group purchase and it arrived ahead of schedule, it was boxed outstanding and I agree that the quality and finish are spectacular. Dewitt gets a from me!

NitrousSam
sam, see your still posting here, would be nice if you answered emails and owned up to your deal for the bottle...
Old 01-24-2007, 08:43 AM
NitrousSam
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vinnies87
sam, see your still posting here, would be nice if you answered emails and owned up to your deal for the bottle...
PM sent.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:41 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Kool88vette
My Dewitt's was a direct fit. I'm suprised that you have to modify anything.
Thanks Kool88vette! But the C4 model has two different radiators. Yours was our A84 model and that one doesn't require any changes at all and as you know, we include new rubber cushions with that one.
The one above (A90) is for 90-96 and that one is a slightly different story. GM mounted the electric fans directly on the face of the core, without any clearence for a thicker radiator. So to make this radiator fit, something has to happen and those two options are A: move the fans back or B: trim some of the fan shroud and keep it in the same location. The trimming is pretty simple and it shouldn't take more than ten minutes. I think this is the better of the two methods because the fans stay in the original location.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Okay everyone, hurry up! Let's get all of these details worked out before mine arrives! I have no problem w/ chopping on my shroud, Tom. Things are already tight enough up there with an EWP and a camber brace.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:35 PM
lefoy84
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True. The original question was never answered. I too was surprised to find that my new radiator would require trimming or shimming. I tend to think that trimming is probably the best solution.

Would have been nice to know this upfront.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:40 PM
87vette
Safety Car

Looks sharp! Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:03 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,800 Likes on 1,085 Posts

I trimmed the shroud. 15 minutes with a Dremel tool

I went that route to avoid messing up any other clearances I may not have been looking for/paying attention to.

Only the '90 and up shrouds require trimming (or shimming). This has always been clearly spelled out in Tom's catalogs and on his website.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:21 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Only the '90 and up shrouds require trimming (or shimming). This has always been clearly spelled out in Tom's catalogs and on his website.
Thank you
Old 01-24-2007, 10:38 PM
perry pose
Advanced

Tom,

I just purchase a A90A for my 1994 Corvette. Thank agian for working with me on my shipping costs. Also I am well awhere that there will be some trimm required in order to fix this one in plcae of the stock unit. Your site clearly spells that out, when to read the discription.

Perry

Last edited by perry pose; 01-24-2007 at 10:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-25-2007, 11:07 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid
Okay everyone, hurry up! Let's get all of these details worked out before mine arrives! I have no problem w/ chopping on my shroud, Tom. Things are already tight enough up there with an EWP and a camber brace.
Good point about the clearance benefit. I will be adding an EWP in March so I think I will go with the trimming the shround option. I knew there would be a little modification like it says on the website. I was just trying to determin to trim or shim. Hopefully this will be installed this Saturday. I'll post the results and take some pictures.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
Good point about the clearance benefit. I will be adding an EWP in March so I think I will go with the trimming the shround option. I knew there would be a little modification like it says on the website. I was just trying to determin to trim or shim. Hopefully this will be installed this Saturday. I'll post the results and take some pictures.

Thanks
Did you get it installed yet, Rick? Mine finally showed up today. Although it showed "in stock" on the website when I ordered it on the 15th, it wasn't. It's the EOC version, maybe that's why. I should get it in this weekend and I'm looking forward to finally having a coolant-cooled engine oil cooler to bring the oil up to normal temperature faster, especially on these cold winter mornings. Let us know how it goes (or went) with your installation and I'll do like-wise. All I've got to do is measure for and make up the Aeroquip oil lines and I'm ready to install.

Get notified of new replies

To Dewitt Radiator PICS / Install Questions

Old 01-30-2007, 06:01 PM
96CERon
Instructor

Installation--Ron Davis aluminum radiator

I installed a Ron Davis radiator a couple of years ago. I have pictures showing what has to be cut off of the front of the radiator shroud--need to trim ~1/2" off. This is because the core is thicker. It was easy to do with a hack saw blade by hand. The hardest part was marking the amount to be removed accurately. I don't know how to attach pictures here, but if you send me an email I will send you pictures. I also question using a brass plug in the bottom of the radiator instead of an aluminum plug regarding galvanic corrosion between a brass plug and an aluminum part. The Ron Davis comes with an aluminum plug. This is basically the same for installing the Dewitt unit.

Last edited by 96CERon; 02-06-2007 at 04:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-30-2007, 06:14 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid
Did you get it installed yet, Rick? Mine finally showed up today. Although it showed "in stock" on the website when I ordered it on the 15th, it wasn't. It's the EOC version, maybe that's why. I should get it in this weekend and I'm looking forward to finally having a coolant-cooled engine oil cooler to bring the oil up to normal temperature faster, especially on these cold winter mornings. Let us know how it goes (or went) with your installation and I'll do like-wise. All I've got to do is measure for and make up the Aeroquip oil lines and I'm ready to install.
Unfortunately it rained all day last saturday. I'm going to try again this weekend.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:21 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

I installed the new radiator on Friday. Removing the old one was fairly easy. The hardest part was removing the 3 screws at the bottom of both sides of the top shroud. The air pump would probably have to be removed to get to the drivers side but mine was already removed with the EGR. It's actually only the middle screw that is difficult. The other two on each side are easy to get to with a 7mm socket and socketed screw driver handle. I tried reversing the clips to reinstall the screws on the reverse side to make it easier next time but it was getting dark so I left them out for now. For some reason getting the new radiator to fit was a pain in the azz. I slid the fan piece in first. Then I slid in the radiator with the top shroud at the same time. I had to lift the passenger side of the top shroud several times to angle it under the AC condenser lines which are right in the way. With a little patience everything went in. The hardest part was getting the top shroud to sit completely down on the radiator. The rubber pieces would not line up with the two metal pieces sticking up on the radiator. I finally got them to line up somewhat but the top shroud was still about a quarter inch too high for the side screws to line up. I spent at least an hour or more removing everything and putting it back in with the same result. I checked to make sure the rubber supports were on the correct side and they were. Yes I did cut back the fan mounting piece 3/4's. The directions did call for removing some material from the top two rubber pieces but the rubber pieces in the directions were different then mine. Maybe they were for an earlier C4? Mine looked like they were already the correct size as in the pictures. There was no material to remove where the directions showed. This is the only thing I can think of that may have caused a fitment issue but it doesn't make sense. Anyway I finally put all of my weight down on the top shroud to squeeze it down to align the screws. They screws went in on an angle but as they drew in the shroud they straightened out. I think I was missing something and it should not have been that difficult on that last step. I was going to call Mr. Dewitt but my Internet was down and I lost the number. Any ideas on what was wrong? The rest of the install went smooth and I am still happy with the purchase. I'll try to post some install pictures later.

Hey corvettkid did you get to yours yet? How did it go?

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 02-05-2007 at 10:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Dewitt Radiator PICS / Install Questions