Sponsored by:

[Z06] My initial review of LG Longtubes, Halltech, and OCC Tune + dyno

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 04:03 PM
J Ritt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My initial review of LG Longtubes, Halltech, and OCC Tune + dyno

Well, I couldn’t resist the constant teasing and harassment from my customers any longer (haha, you’re in the aftermarket & driving a stock-engined car)…so I finally did my first engine mods this weekend…whoot!

The big mod was a set LG Pro Longtubes, which I had installed at Orange County Corvette. The supporting cast of parts include a Halltech Stinger SSM, Shanner ported throttle body (which came on the car), and of course, a tune. Due to time constraints with getting my car ready for this coming weekend’s event at Spring Mountain, combined with OCC’s uber-busy shop, I wasn't able to get a baseline dyno run. Not a big deal to me however, as Sean at OCC has run quite a few stock C5Z06’s on his dyno, and they’ve all made between 345 and 350hp at the wheels. My car put down 382hp/370tq on their dynojet. So, it seems like my gains are in the typical range for a car with these specific mods...30ish whp and tq. Dyno graph is below.

Post install, the car feels fantastic, and now seems to have more 'guts' everywhere in the rev range (not surprising given that torque curve). Overall, the soundtrack is killer. The noise levels are slightly louder than stock with the stock Ti mufflers in place, but by no means intrusive. I thought the car was an almost perfect volume stock…maybe just a tad on the quiet side…so to me, the headers not changing the volume too drastically is a good thing. The main additional sound you really hear now is air ‘whooshing’ under the car because the headers & intake flow so much air! As the RPM's climb, the engine sounds/feels much smoother, with more of a high pitch wail at the top end. It's a little louder up top, but more of tone change than anything I think. There's absolutely no drone on the highway. Throttle response is outstanding, and the thing just rips…I love it, and I’m struggling to keep my foot out of it. I’m going to try and get some decent audio/video of the car in the near future.

I took a peek under the car yesterday when swapping my brake pads, and the headers look great…nice welds, clean install, nothing hanging too low, etc. From what everyone else has said, the header/cat combo should save me about 20lbs. over stock, which to me is just as important as the power gains. I have yet to put the car back on the scales, but I’m looking forward to seeing the numbers since I also just installed an Odyssey battery kit from ATI (-20lbs). It’s a really nice, lightweight billet mounting kit that drops right in. The Halltech install is also clean and simple, and based on the pre-tune numbers logged, it is bringing in quite a bit more air than the stock unit.

When I was doing my research on bolt-on upgrades, a lot of what I read pointed me towards the LG's in particular as the best performers, especially if I plan to do heads, cams, etc. later down the line. That, coupled with the fact that I’ve seen firsthand what these headers do on their race-winning World Challenge cars, and the customer support I’ve seen the LG team provide our brake customers made it a straightforward choice for me.

So, a big thanks to the crew at LG Motorsports, Sean at Orange County Corvette, ATI, and Halltech. All of the parts are coming together beautifully on my Z, and I’m looking forward to stretching its legs this weekend at Spring Mtn.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:02 PM
TM-Z06
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

cats? X-pipe?

Those results are impressive
Old 01-22-2007, 05:10 PM
jpandes
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the great, informative write-up! I just got my 2003 Z06 a couple months ago and I have been thinking of going this route.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:18 PM
rico750sxi
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 138 Posts

Are these Pro LT's or the Street ones?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:18 PM
0Brian@FI Performance
Former Vendor

Location: FI Performance : Norwalk Connecticut www.FIPERFORMANCE.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff,

And what brakes are you running brother? I can't imagine you running stock.

Brian
Old 01-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Dre01SS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rico750sxi
LG Pro's
Old 01-22-2007, 06:28 PM
J Ritt
Racer

cats? X-pipe?

Those results are impressive
Thanks. I'm running the High-flow cats LG sells...I believe they are Random Techs. I want the car to remain as environmentally friendly as possible. I would have done straight pipes on a track-only car, but I'm not a big fan of wrecklessly polluting on a daily driver. Our air in LA isn't exactly stellar as it is! That, and if you get caught in CA without cats, I believe it's a huge fine and a possible impound...not worth it. I can deal with a few less hp for these reasons.

Thanks for the great, informative write-up! I just got my 2003 Z06 a couple months ago and I have been thinking of going this route.
No problem. This setup is definitely an outstanding return on a reasonable investment...it really wakes the car up and pushes its character another step towards where most of us want it to be. I wholeheartedly recommend these upgrades as rather easy HP that won't really negatively impact reliability, drivability, etc. I'll try to get those vids up soon. The car sounds sooooo good...the damn thing just sounds plain mean.

These are the Pro LT's.

Jeff,

And what brakes are you running brother? I can't imagine you running stock.

Brian
Hey man, happy new year! No stock brakes for me!!! I'm running our StopTech six piston front, four piston rear with 14" rotors all around. I'm putting our new ceramic rotors on in the near future...hoping to have them on by the end of Feb...should save me about 35lbs. vs. the iron (roughly 8lbs per corner). Ah the benefits of being a brake dork.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:05 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Sweet!

Nice gains buddy, makes for a little more fun drive to work in the mornings doesn't it. It truly is hard to explain the sweet sounds coming from the exhaust after installing a set of LG Pro's.

You know if there is anything we can do you for you, just let us know!

Thanks again, from all of us here at LG Motorsports! More wins coming soon!
Old 01-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
It truly is hard to explain the sweet sounds coming from the exhaust after installing a set of LG Pro's.

I cant expplain how many guys in minivans pull beside me to tell me how bad a$$ they sound...

Toque
Old 01-22-2007, 11:13 PM
Steve Theodore
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet review! Very nice to hear about the continued weight reduction mods too!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:14 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Good review Nice first rounds of go-fast mods (instdead of stop-fast!).
Old 01-23-2007, 03:45 AM
03 Z-oh-6
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice gains! However, my 02 put down 379/368 SAE with just a Halltech SSM and A&A tune.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:13 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

After reading your write up, I'm going to be spending some money...THANKS!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:32 PM
zulatr
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also just installed an Odyssey battery kit from ATI (-20lbs). It’s a really nice, lightweight billet mounting kit that drops right in.

Not meaning to steal your header thread, but....

I just heard of the Odyssey battery the other day and have not yet done any reasearch beside a quick look at their website. ONe of the electrical engineers I work with is putting one in his Boxster in the spring. He says half the weight, same basic power curves, and it's a dry cell, so there are no leakage issues. My car will be due for a battery soon too, so I'm more than a little interested.

Why did you need a mounting kit?
How much was the mounting kit?
How much was the battery?
Can you send me a picture at mikezohsix@yahoo.com

thanks,
mk
Old 01-23-2007, 01:15 PM
J Ritt
Racer

Nice gains! However, my 02 put down 379/368 SAE with just a Halltech SSM and A&A tune.
Ditch,
No offense, but the straight numbers are essentially meaningless. The gains you saw vs. your baseline are meaningul...but that's about it. You can't compare one dyno to another dyno...they all read differently!

ZULATR,
Why did you need a mounting kit?
You can't just drop the tiny battery in the spot for the stock battery...you need something to hold it in place, as it's physically much smaller.

How much was the mounting kit? / How much was the battery?
The total package was around $200: http://performance.accuratetechnolog...3f6f829586bde9

Can you send me a picture at mikezohsix@yahoo.com
You can see the setup in the link. The mount looks sort of gold in the pic, but the one I got is straight billet aluminum.

After reading your write up, I'm going to be spending some money...THANKS!!!
They are definitely worth the bucks...great bang for the buck.

I cant expplain how many guys in minivans pull beside me to tell me how bad a$$ they sound...
I got some sound clips last night. I'll post a link up later...probably at some point today.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:17 PM
03 Z-oh-6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JRitt@StopTech
Ditch,
No offense, but the straight numbers are essentially meaningless. The gains you saw vs. your baseline are meaningul...but that's about it. You can't compare one dyno to another dyno...they all read differently!
I would disagree that the straight numbers are not meaningful, they definitely are. 379/368 SAE for my mods shows that my car is putting down excellent power. Plus, A&A isn't a rinky dink corvette shop, I'm sure there dyno is very accurate. Andy(the owner), before he tuned my car told me his dyno tends to read lower than most dynos. I've also read this same information, too. For the heck of it, I'm going to take my car to a more local dyno soon and see how the numbers compare.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:26 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

yes, andy will always tune conservatively (i don't think he cares about dyno bench racing and instead focuses on how the car behaves in real world). if the dyno is in fact low, then i'm a happy camper: 364/358 hp/tq. this was validated by 2 separate runs. by the way, i'm completely stock (unless the shorty antenna gives higher top speed capability vs. stock).

now that i've escaped the smog police of california, i'm looking at headers once my warranty runs out....

Originally Posted by DitchTehFish
I would disagree that the straight numbers are not meaningful, they definitely are. 379/368 SAE for my mods shows that my car is putting down excellent power. Plus, A&A isn't a rinky dink corvette shop, I'm sure there dyno is very accurate. Andy(the owner), before he tuned my car told me his dyno tends to read lower than most dynos. I've also read this same information, too. For the heck of it, I'm going to take my car to a more local dyno soon and see how the numbers compare.

Get notified of new replies

To My initial review of LG Longtubes, Halltech, and OCC Tune + dyno

Old 01-23-2007, 09:37 PM
03 Z-oh-6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SLO VETTE
yes, andy will always tune conservatively (i don't think he cares about dyno bench racing and instead focuses on how the car behaves in real world). if the dyno is in fact low, then i'm a happy camper: 364/358 hp/tq. this was validated by 2 separate runs. by the way, i'm completely stock (unless the shorty antenna gives higher top speed capability vs. stock).

now that i've escaped the smog police of california, i'm looking at headers once my warranty runs out....
Wow, nice numbers! You're still on the stock tune?
Old 01-23-2007, 09:49 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

yep. only thing andy did was elminate the annoying cags via ls1 edit and lower the temp where thermostat turned on.

i did, hwoever, add vette essentials armrests.

Originally Posted by DitchTehFish
Wow, nice numbers! You're still on the stock tune?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:17 PM
J Ritt
Racer

I would disagree that the straight numbers are not meaningful, they definitely are. 379/368 SAE for my mods shows that my car is putting down excellent power.
Excellent power vs. what exactly? I know who A&A is, and they are by no means 'rinky-dink.' It has nothing to do with them, or the validity of their dyno. The point is that you need something for comparison...either a baseline dyno, or runs from other stock cars the same as yours. Even this (which is what I did) is far from ideal. There are an abundance of variables...atmospheric conditions, fans in place or not, cool down between runs...the list goes on and on. In the words of the legendary Ron Burgandy, "we'll have to agree to disagree then" regarding what those numbers are telling you in isolation of any other data points.

I didn't get a chance to get the video up today...hopefully tomorrow.

Quick Reply: [Z06] My initial review of LG Longtubes, Halltech, and OCC Tune + dyno